Re: Matmos

  • peter&diana szymczak
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 1998
      Oeivind Idsoe <terje.idsoe@...> wrote:

      >> it would probably be a good move to go for Matmos
      >> as they can be seen as a reaction (re-development?)
      >> to some of the things that Orbital used to sniff at
      >> until media attention and semi-stardom started choking
      >> their creative urges and they went all Preset on us.

      Ah whatever, Orbital rock and that's all there is to it,
      and Matmos for my money suck clams, although that's
      probably something they'd sample...

      npimh: Massive Attack "Mezzanine"
    • TamperCD@xxx.xxxx
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 30, 1998
        Well, I think Matmos is >the balls<, and have been playing "and silver light
        popped in his eyes" either in whole (18 minutes - ack!) or in part on my show
        periodically since it came out. And I'm not alone. it >always< yields a "WHO
        IS THIS????" phone call or two everytime i play it.

        I just like their textures and imperfections. Though ive always liked teh
        coldness and non-human quality that electronic music has offered, Matmos have
        managed to exploit while superimposing a more organic sound over it to come up
        with something entirely different.

        my two cents --

        --Paul
      • Christopher Bieg
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 1998
          > Hello kids,
          >
          > I've read a few things about Matmos (principally the stuff in The
          > Wire - the reviews of 'Matmos' and 'Quasi-Objects' and the bit in
          > Bites from a year ago) and wondered if they were all they're cracked
          > up to be. I'm interested in getting hold of their stuff, you see.
          > From what I've read they sound like one of the very few interesting
          > techno-ish bands around at the minute.
          >
          > I like some of Orbital and Leftfield's earlier material if that's any
          > useful starting point.

          There's a little known site which offers a good bio on them...

          http://www.abrupt.org/PRODUCT/matmos.html

          Christopher Bieg [cbieg@...]
          [cnwbieg@...]

          Current listenings ... 30 June 98
          Farmers Manual :: Explorers_We CD
          Ryoji Ikeda :: 1000 Fragments CD
          Tricky :: Angels With Dirty Faces CD
        • Paolo.Zucca@xxxxxxxxx.xx
          Message 4 of 9 , May 7, 1999
            I remember a terminated thread on this list about Matmos.
            I found this palylist on the Italian mag BLOW UP compiled by Martin and
            Drew, maybe someone could be interested in:

            Martin:

            Jonathan Winters - Another Day, Another World
            V/A - Music From West Africa (Rounder)
            Jimi Hendrix - Live at Fillmore
            Supercollider - It won't be long 12
            H. Czukay - On the way to peak of normal

            Drew:

            Arovan - Occer/Silicad 7"
            E. Fullman - Change of Direction
            Lexaunculpt - Double Density 12"
            Havergall - It's all Trash 10"
            Skip Spence - Oar

            All the Best

            Paolo Zucca

            Network Monitoring & Management
            Sema Group S.p.A.
            Viale Carlo Viola, 76 - 11026 Pont Saint Martin (AO)
            Italy

            * : +39.0125.810501
            Fax : +39.0125.810570

            E-mail: paolo,zucca@...
          • Herbert Struyf
            Message 5 of 9 , May 7, 1999
              Erm... is anybody familiar with the records/artists in Drew's list? What
              do they sound like?

              Thanx,

              herbert
              http://www.dma.be/p/ultra

            • pimmon@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 9 , May 7, 1999
                >Erm... is anybody familiar with the records/artists in Drew's list? What
                >do they sound like?

                >> Drew:

                >> Arovan - Occer/Silicad 7"

                Great german electronica...sits nicely amongst most Skam releases..

                >> Lexaunculpt - Double Density 12"

                Courtesy of FE/Hvratski:

                "Lexaunculpt is 19 year-old Alex Graham, a resident of the city of
                Orange. Quickly gaining attention for his first 12" released on
                Isophlux earlier this year and in Southern California for his amazing
                live sets, we feel that Lexaunculpt's record for Orange announces the
                arrival of a major new talent in electronic music in the US. Combining
                elements of hip-hop with highly complex digital rhythms, Lexaunculpt
                is guaranteed to leave the most jaded trainspotters impressed "

                Hope this helps [2/5]...

                paul