Parmegiani (was: Re: [thewire] Re: Pluramon)

  • Oeivind Idsoe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 1998
      Sean Cooper wrote:

      > speaking of, i've just received my first bernard parmegiani disc in the
      > mail ("la creation du monde"), and so far i'm enthralled. (granted i'm
      > less than 2 minutes into it, but...) what are some other releases of his i
      > might seek out?

      Boy, are you in for a treat!

      Mention the word "Parmegiani" and I could talk for at least five minutes about
      the extraordinary beauty of his mesmerizing mixture of electronic academia,
      pulsating reverberations and repetitive bliss. What I really find fascinating is
      the fact that here's a guy who's actually working within the sometimes
      claustrophobic walls of academic electronics (INA-GRM et al) and he still dares
      challenge the classic conceptions of what contemporary music should be by using
      autechrish repetition together with an otherworldly arsenal of digital
      treatments
      and analog (as in concrete sounds and analogue synthesizers) source material.
      But
      I digress...

      Anyways, his masterpiece is considered to be "De Natura Sonorum" ("the nature of
      sound" or something like that), but I wouldn't really hierarchize when it comes
      to BP. I find all of his releases equally fascinating. You should/must also get
      "Violstries...", which is a double-CD featuring both his earlier and later
      material.

      Those are the three (including "La creation...") CDs I have.

      However, he's also done a collaborative CD together with Francois Bayle (another
      INA-GRM hero), which uses Dante's Divine Comedy as it's building block.
      Apparently this work is rather text-heavy, and so I haven't felt compelled
      enough
      to get it (I don't like electroacoustic works using text that much, because they
      seem so afraid of letting go of the representational paradigm of classical music
      -- they maintain the notion of music as Something, and seem afraid of music as
      Nothing/Everything (i.e. complete abstraction), if you know what I mean :).

      > my tastes are pretty broad, but i'd take, say,
      > xenakis over stockhausen, or mouse on mars over aphex twin.

      Hey...with a few exceptions: my sentiments exactly! :)

      > sc

      /Oeivind/