Re: Company Flow

  • Dan Solmon
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 1999
      >Whew, where to begin. I don't know that much about Company Flow, but I can
      >give you some hip-hop recommendations. Check out The Coup,
      >Hieroglyphics,and Aceyalone (sp?) All are really good.
      This reminds me-I have an "epic freestyle battle" that a friend of my
      sister's taped off an Oakland radio station in 1994 between Hieroglyphics
      and The Hobo Junction Crew. It's really amazing, Saffir of Hobo Junction
      bests all the Hieros, excpet Casual, yet I have not been able to find
      aything more about him or Hobo Junction. Anybody know aything?
      It was taped off of KMEL 106.1.
      Also, I heard that this was initiated by a long-standing feud between the
      groups, they get pretty cruel in their insults, and the radio host has to
      break up at least one fight. I was told that shots were fired in the parking
      lot after the broadcast. Does ayone know their Oakland history?

      Thanks,
      Dan

      �Les gens que l'on comprend-ceson eux que l'on domine.�
      "Those we understand are those we control."

      -James Ellroy, AMERICAN TABLOID

    • Ryan Shaw
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 1999
        > This reminds me-I have an "epic freestyle battle" that a friend of my
        > sister's taped off an Oakland radio station in 1994 between Hieroglyphics
        > and The Hobo Junction Crew. It's really amazing, Saffir of Hobo Junction
        > bests all the Hieros, excpet Casual, yet I have not been able to find
        > aything more about him or Hobo Junction. Anybody know aything?

        Check out http://www.hobojunction.com

        That is truly one of the all-time great battles, and yes, Hieros
        got served. Supposedly, the Hieros saw it as a test of freestyling
        skills, and tried to come completely off the top of their heads.
        The Hobos, one the other hand, had prepared some lyrics ahead of time.
        That partly explains their dominance. Also, the Hieros were pretty
        unprepared for the Hobos' vicious personal attacks. I'd say they
        were unprepared for a true battle, and got it confused with a
        freestyling contest. Usually, in battles anything goes, including
        writtens.

        > It was taped off of KMEL 106.1.

        DJ Shadow's former station, by the way.

        > I was told that shots were fired in the parking lot after the
        > broadcast.

        That sounds like rumor to me.

        Although the groups do represent two different sides of Bay Area
        hip-hop, and it is understandable that there might be some friction.
        Part of it is good-old American class warfare--the Hieros come from
        comfortable, college-educated backgrounds, whereas the Hoboes had
        no such luck. Fortunately, I'd say that the two scenes have
        integrated pretty well since '94.

        rbs.
      • vrn
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 1999
          At 10:37 PM 6/1/99 PDT, you wrote:

          >This reminds me-I have an "epic freestyle battle" that a friend of my
          >sister's taped off an Oakland radio station in 1994 between Hieroglyphics
          >and The Hobo Junction Crew. It's really amazing, Saffir of Hobo Junction
          >bests all the Hieros, excpet Casual,

          >Also, I heard that this was initiated by a long-standing feud between the
          >groups, they get pretty cruel in their insults, and the radio host has to
          >break up at least one fight.

          I don't know, i have no idea of the origin of the whole thing, all i know
          is that it was predated by a live Casual/Saafir battle at 'Crash Palace'
          (which i've got about 10 minutes of in shitty quality Mp3. i also have like
          5 minutes of the KMEL battle, if anyone can offer space i'll upload them both)

          also, Saafir made a brief appearance on Casual's first LP 'Fear Itself'

          >I was told that shots were fired in the parking
          >lot after the broadcast. Does ayone know their Oakland history?

          I seriously doubt that...
          from http://www.loud.com/elevatedminds/cerebral/casual/index.html

          >EM: Casual vs. Saafir...to me it was one of the great hiphop battles. You
          handled that beef correctly so >it didn't get out of hand like Biggie or
          2Pac. Are you and Saafir friends?

          >C: We see each other every now and then. At that time the beef was serious
          like we was about to fight >but really it wasn't any beef because of lot of
          it was based on lies and things just didn't hold up.

          At 03:02 PM 6/2/99 +0900, you wrote:
          >From: "Ryan Shaw <Ryan Shaw" <ryan@...>

          >That is truly one of the all-time great battles, and yes, Hieros
          >got served. Supposedly, the Hieros saw it as a test of freestyling
          >skills, and tried to come completely off the top of their heads.
          >The Hobos, one the other hand, had prepared some lyrics ahead of time.
          >That partly explains their dominance. Also, the Hieros were pretty
          >unprepared for the Hobos' vicious personal attacks. I'd say they
          >were unprepared for a true battle, and got it confused with a
          >freestyling contest. Usually, in battles anything goes, including
          >writtens.

          umm... no. bringing the writtens was a super weak move by the hobos. you
          come off the dome, or you don't
          come at all.

          Not to mention the fact that Del, the superior Hiero member (IMHO) wasn't
          in attendance. Del has the ability to rip Saafir, even with the writtens.

          /mlt