Re: Company Flow

  • vrn
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 1999
      At 06:39 PM 6/1/99 -0700, L. Plourde wrote:
      >From: "L. Plourde" <lorri@...>
      >

      >Whew, where to begin. I don't know that much about Company Flow, but I can
      >give you some hip-hop recommendations. Check out

      >The Coup,

      yes!!, they only recently started getting much deserved respect with the
      recent 'steal this album' (which i've admitedly haven't heard yet!), but
      dig up thier overlooked first two albums 'kill my landlord' and 'genocide
      and juice' on wild pitch (tho, now out of print, unfortunetly). Aside from
      public enemy, this is as good as political hip hop gets.

      >Hieroglyphics,

      fair warning that Hiero has sorta fallen off. well, not really fallen off,
      but they were at their peek around '93 or so.. check out either of the Del
      albums, the first Souls (the second one was shit, tho), or the Casual to
      see what i mean. Also, in a similar vein check out Saafir's "Boxcar
      Sessions". BTW, if anyones interested in trading, i've got the now
      legenedary Saafir v. Casual battles on Mp3.

      >and Aceyalone (sp?)

      definetly. also, check his group freestyle fellowship.

      Also check the early 90's stuff: Tribe, De La, Jungle Brothers (collectivly
      Native Tounges), Brand Nubian, the first two Organized Konfusion records,
      afformentioned Hiero stuff, gangstarr (if only for the Preimer production),
      Jeru's first album, and my personal favorite- Nas' Illmatic. (Don't let
      any puff daddy tainted radio appearences fool you, Nas was once dope..
      reeeallly dope)

      and if course, there's the roots. absolutely amazing. backed by a live
      jazz band. tho the production has veered in a more experimental direction
      over the last lp. also, they get my respect from having the best website
      (in terms of artist input.. ?uestlove posts there like every minute) at
      www.okayplayer.com

      mlt/

      http://multsanta.home.sprynet.com/
      musik aus strom, stock hausen & walkman, d'arcangelo, karaoke kalk,
      schematic, chocolate industries, skam, ostian mele, more.
    • Dan Solmon
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 1999
        >Whew, where to begin. I don't know that much about Company Flow, but I can
        >give you some hip-hop recommendations. Check out The Coup,
        >Hieroglyphics,and Aceyalone (sp?) All are really good.
        This reminds me-I have an "epic freestyle battle" that a friend of my
        sister's taped off an Oakland radio station in 1994 between Hieroglyphics
        and The Hobo Junction Crew. It's really amazing, Saffir of Hobo Junction
        bests all the Hieros, excpet Casual, yet I have not been able to find
        aything more about him or Hobo Junction. Anybody know aything?
        It was taped off of KMEL 106.1.
        Also, I heard that this was initiated by a long-standing feud between the
        groups, they get pretty cruel in their insults, and the radio host has to
        break up at least one fight. I was told that shots were fired in the parking
        lot after the broadcast. Does ayone know their Oakland history?

        Thanks,
        Dan

        �Les gens que l'on comprend-ceson eux que l'on domine.�
        "Those we understand are those we control."

        -James Ellroy, AMERICAN TABLOID

      • Ryan Shaw
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 1999
          > This reminds me-I have an "epic freestyle battle" that a friend of my
          > sister's taped off an Oakland radio station in 1994 between Hieroglyphics
          > and The Hobo Junction Crew. It's really amazing, Saffir of Hobo Junction
          > bests all the Hieros, excpet Casual, yet I have not been able to find
          > aything more about him or Hobo Junction. Anybody know aything?

          Check out http://www.hobojunction.com

          That is truly one of the all-time great battles, and yes, Hieros
          got served. Supposedly, the Hieros saw it as a test of freestyling
          skills, and tried to come completely off the top of their heads.
          The Hobos, one the other hand, had prepared some lyrics ahead of time.
          That partly explains their dominance. Also, the Hieros were pretty
          unprepared for the Hobos' vicious personal attacks. I'd say they
          were unprepared for a true battle, and got it confused with a
          freestyling contest. Usually, in battles anything goes, including
          writtens.

          > It was taped off of KMEL 106.1.

          DJ Shadow's former station, by the way.

          > I was told that shots were fired in the parking lot after the
          > broadcast.

          That sounds like rumor to me.

          Although the groups do represent two different sides of Bay Area
          hip-hop, and it is understandable that there might be some friction.
          Part of it is good-old American class warfare--the Hieros come from
          comfortable, college-educated backgrounds, whereas the Hoboes had
          no such luck. Fortunately, I'd say that the two scenes have
          integrated pretty well since '94.

          rbs.
        • vrn
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 1999
            At 10:37 PM 6/1/99 PDT, you wrote:

            >This reminds me-I have an "epic freestyle battle" that a friend of my
            >sister's taped off an Oakland radio station in 1994 between Hieroglyphics
            >and The Hobo Junction Crew. It's really amazing, Saffir of Hobo Junction
            >bests all the Hieros, excpet Casual,

            >Also, I heard that this was initiated by a long-standing feud between the
            >groups, they get pretty cruel in their insults, and the radio host has to
            >break up at least one fight.

            I don't know, i have no idea of the origin of the whole thing, all i know
            is that it was predated by a live Casual/Saafir battle at 'Crash Palace'
            (which i've got about 10 minutes of in shitty quality Mp3. i also have like
            5 minutes of the KMEL battle, if anyone can offer space i'll upload them both)

            also, Saafir made a brief appearance on Casual's first LP 'Fear Itself'

            >I was told that shots were fired in the parking
            >lot after the broadcast. Does ayone know their Oakland history?

            I seriously doubt that...
            from http://www.loud.com/elevatedminds/cerebral/casual/index.html

            >EM: Casual vs. Saafir...to me it was one of the great hiphop battles. You
            handled that beef correctly so >it didn't get out of hand like Biggie or
            2Pac. Are you and Saafir friends?

            >C: We see each other every now and then. At that time the beef was serious
            like we was about to fight >but really it wasn't any beef because of lot of
            it was based on lies and things just didn't hold up.

            At 03:02 PM 6/2/99 +0900, you wrote:
            >From: "Ryan Shaw <Ryan Shaw" <ryan@...>

            >That is truly one of the all-time great battles, and yes, Hieros
            >got served. Supposedly, the Hieros saw it as a test of freestyling
            >skills, and tried to come completely off the top of their heads.
            >The Hobos, one the other hand, had prepared some lyrics ahead of time.
            >That partly explains their dominance. Also, the Hieros were pretty
            >unprepared for the Hobos' vicious personal attacks. I'd say they
            >were unprepared for a true battle, and got it confused with a
            >freestyling contest. Usually, in battles anything goes, including
            >writtens.

            umm... no. bringing the writtens was a super weak move by the hobos. you
            come off the dome, or you don't
            come at all.

            Not to mention the fact that Del, the superior Hiero member (IMHO) wasn't
            in attendance. Del has the ability to rip Saafir, even with the writtens.

            /mlt