Re: new comps

  • ( h r | s
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 1998
      >Anybody pick up anything good?

      I finally got a hold of some Beth Orton singles. She's awesome. Other stuff
      I've picked up recently are Pure Abstrakt comp(featureing DJ Cam,
      Sharpshooters, Shantel, etc), Teardrop single(the Mad Professor remix is
      nice), and Portishead live boots.

      I'm hoping to get that Miles Davis remix album by Bill Lasswell, the new
      Massive Attack, Tricky, Garbage, King Britt & DJ Krush remixes of Miles
      Davis.....I can't wait!

      C H R I S

    • ( h r | s
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 1998
        At 07:24 PM 5/10/98 -0000, you wrote:
        >From: "Andrew Grant" <stoic@...>
        >
        >Two questions --
        >1) where did you find the Portishead boots
        >2) what DJ Krush Miles Davis re-mix album? (I hadn't heard.)

        I don't know where the Portishead boots came from. A freind just gave me a
        tape. I think some are b-sides of singles and some are real boots.

        I don't know when the DJ Krush and King Britt remixes Miles is supposed to
        come out. I read about it on MTV news. Someone told me that it was gonna be
        a remix of Bill Laswell remixes.

        Has anybody check out that import CD titled "Koi Ku" or something like
        that, it's DJ Krush and a Japanese horn player. I forget his name but I was
        able to listen to some mixes on the new DJ Krush reconstructed CD
        "Holonic". Very Milesish.......

        C H R I S

      • Taylor McLaren
        Message 3 of 6 , May 9, 1998
          MEEP! David M Ford wrote:
          > Modulations & Transformations is a 2cd set... [blah, blah, blah]
          Question #1: Was anybody else more than just a tad bit put out by the
          fact that the Sidewinder track was just a bunch of recycled Techno Animal
          noises and rhythms? Maybe I'm being too fussy for my own good, but if I
          really want to hear "Intercranial", I'll throw on EL3 and be happy.

          Question #2: Okay, so this doesn't have anything to do with M&T3, but I
          did recently grab a copy of Sun Ra's _Space Is The Place_ on the strength
          of all of the hype that it has been receiving lately and, frankly, I
          don't get it. Should I chalk this one up as another jazz classic that I
          just don't understand, or does the title track actually sound like half-
          baked John Zorn material? Could anybody point me in the direction of
          other Sun Ra releases that aren't quite so... um... improvised, and in
          which the band occasionally sounds as though it's playing together?

          -me (Question #3 sanitized for your protection)
        • JonAbbey2
          Message 4 of 6 , May 9, 1998
            In a message dated 5/9/98 11:47:53 PM, bm254@... wrote:

            <<Okay, so this doesn't have anything to do with M&T3, but I

            did recently grab a copy of Sun Ra's _Space Is The Place_ on the strength

            of all of the hype that it has been receiving lately and, frankly, I

            don't get it. Should I chalk this one up as another jazz classic that I

            just don't understand, or does the title track actually sound like half-

            baked John Zorn material? Could anybody point me in the direction of

            other Sun Ra releases that aren't quite so... um... improvised, and in

            which the band occasionally sounds as though it's playing together?>>

            Space Is the Place isn't one of the better Sun Ra albums that I've heard.
            Better starting places would be Cosmic Tones For Mental Therapy, Atlantis or
            Heliocentric Worlds, Volume 1.

            Half-baked John Zorn material is a bit unfair.

            Jon
          • Andrew Grant
            Message 5 of 6 , May 10, 1998