Re: Company Flow

  • Davis Ford
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 1999
      >Of course, for more "avant" turntablism which isn't exactly hip-hop
      >inspired, Christian Marclay, and my personal favorite, Otomo Yoshihide,
      >are good places to start. Although I like his Ground Zero work better than
      >his purely turntable-based albums (like Memory Disorder). Forced Exposure
      >carries both of their LP's, I believe.

      I just got Otomo Yoshihide's collaboration with Martin Tetrault. I was a
      little disappointed in it. I guess I still need to listen to it more, but
      it just struck me as kind of boring. The complete opposite reaction I got
      when first hearing Martin Tetrault's collaboration with Rene Lussier. One
      of the best records of last year that I didn't hear until this year. I've
      also got another Otomo solo album that's good when you're in the mood for
      noise (ala Merzbow, etc.)

      davis
    • Randy Gelling
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 1999
        Well, hip-hop is an incrediably rich genre, but the obvious godfathers of
        CP are PE: Public Enemey; whose best albums are It Takes a Nation of
        Millions to hold us back, Fear of a Black Planet, and Apocalypse 91'.

        On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Steven Wainwright wrote:

        > While there seems to be a lull in list activity at the mo I'm going to fish
        > for some recommendations.
        >
        > It's a sad fact that preconceptions tend to dictate my attention to certain
        > musical 'genres'. Hip Hop and its hinterland is one such area that
        > previously incited nothing but disdain. 'Funcrusher Plus' by Company Flow
        > changed all that, a fact that has recently been highlighted by a review of
        > their new album in the latest Wire.
        >
        > Can anyone suggest any other people doing interesting stuff in this and
        > related fields. My knowledge is ignorant at best. Also, how long have CF
        > been going?
        >
        > Ta
        > Steven
        >
        > np. Philip Jeck '16/17 Rehearsal' on Touch sampler

      • Randy Gelling
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 1999
          I second all of the reccomendations below, especially the Cut
          Chemist/Shortcut album, and would add Q-Bert's Pumpkin Squeeze Muzik, DJ
          Disks' Ancient Termites, and DJ Eddie Def's Hemp Lords' 2 cassette.

          On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, L. Plourde wrote:

          > From: "L. Plourde" <lorri@...>
          >

          > Whew, where to begin. I don't know that much about Company Flow, but I can
          > give you some hip-hop recommendations. Check out The Coup,
          > Hieroglyphics,and Aceyalone (sp?) All are really good.
          >
          > If yer into turntablism, you HAVE TO CHECK OUT, the Future Primitive
          > soundsessions, Volume one,kicks ass!! These are both live recordings of
          > these turntablist shows in San Francisco. Vol. 1 features Cut Chemist
          > (From Jurassic 5) and ShortKut (from Invisbl' Skratch Piklz). Vol. 2 is
          > good, but not quite as stellar as Vol. 1.
          > The Jurassic 5 EP, is also really good.
          >
          > For more "classic" hip-hop albums from the 80's, the Wild Style
          > soundtrack is fantastic, Erik B. and Rakim's "Paid in Full", and the
          > Ultramagnetic MC's "Critical Beatdown," are all excellent. Also, I really
          > like the new Mountain Brothers album (Self, Vol. 1). They're a
          > Chinese-American hip-hip group from Philly and they play their own
          > instruments. (didn't the wire review it recently?)
          >
          > Of course, for more "avant" turntablism which isn't exactly hip-hop
          > inspired, Christian Marclay, and my personal favorite, Otomo Yoshihide,
          > are good places to start. Although I like his Ground Zero work better than
          > his purely turntable-based albums (like Memory Disorder). Forced Exposure
          > carries both of their LP's, I believe.
          >
          > -Lorri
          >
          > np: The complete UK Upsetter Singles Collection Vol. 1
          >

          > On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Steven Wainwright wrote:
          >
          > > While there seems to be a lull in list activity at the mo I'm going to fish
          > > for some recommendations.
          > >
          > > It's a sad fact that preconceptions tend to dictate my attention to certain
          > > musical 'genres'. Hip Hop and its hinterland is one such area that
          > > previously incited nothing but disdain. 'Funcrusher Plus' by Company Flow
          > > changed all that, a fact that has recently been highlighted by a review of
          > > their new album in the latest Wire.
          > >
          > > Can anyone suggest any other people doing interesting stuff in this and
          > > related fields. My knowledge is ignorant at best. Also, how long have CF
          > > been going?
          > >
          > > Ta
          > > Steven
          > >
          > > np. Philip Jeck '16/17 Rehearsal' on Touch sampler

        • vrn
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 1999
            At 06:39 PM 6/1/99 -0700, L. Plourde wrote:
            >From: "L. Plourde" <lorri@...>
            >

            >Whew, where to begin. I don't know that much about Company Flow, but I can
            >give you some hip-hop recommendations. Check out

            >The Coup,

            yes!!, they only recently started getting much deserved respect with the
            recent 'steal this album' (which i've admitedly haven't heard yet!), but
            dig up thier overlooked first two albums 'kill my landlord' and 'genocide
            and juice' on wild pitch (tho, now out of print, unfortunetly). Aside from
            public enemy, this is as good as political hip hop gets.

            >Hieroglyphics,

            fair warning that Hiero has sorta fallen off. well, not really fallen off,
            but they were at their peek around '93 or so.. check out either of the Del
            albums, the first Souls (the second one was shit, tho), or the Casual to
            see what i mean. Also, in a similar vein check out Saafir's "Boxcar
            Sessions". BTW, if anyones interested in trading, i've got the now
            legenedary Saafir v. Casual battles on Mp3.

            >and Aceyalone (sp?)

            definetly. also, check his group freestyle fellowship.

            Also check the early 90's stuff: Tribe, De La, Jungle Brothers (collectivly
            Native Tounges), Brand Nubian, the first two Organized Konfusion records,
            afformentioned Hiero stuff, gangstarr (if only for the Preimer production),
            Jeru's first album, and my personal favorite- Nas' Illmatic. (Don't let
            any puff daddy tainted radio appearences fool you, Nas was once dope..
            reeeallly dope)

            and if course, there's the roots. absolutely amazing. backed by a live
            jazz band. tho the production has veered in a more experimental direction
            over the last lp. also, they get my respect from having the best website
            (in terms of artist input.. ?uestlove posts there like every minute) at
            www.okayplayer.com

            mlt/

            http://multsanta.home.sprynet.com/
            musik aus strom, stock hausen & walkman, d'arcangelo, karaoke kalk,
            schematic, chocolate industries, skam, ostian mele, more.
          • Dan Solmon
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 1999
              >Whew, where to begin. I don't know that much about Company Flow, but I can
              >give you some hip-hop recommendations. Check out The Coup,
              >Hieroglyphics,and Aceyalone (sp?) All are really good.
              This reminds me-I have an "epic freestyle battle" that a friend of my
              sister's taped off an Oakland radio station in 1994 between Hieroglyphics
              and The Hobo Junction Crew. It's really amazing, Saffir of Hobo Junction
              bests all the Hieros, excpet Casual, yet I have not been able to find
              aything more about him or Hobo Junction. Anybody know aything?
              It was taped off of KMEL 106.1.
              Also, I heard that this was initiated by a long-standing feud between the
              groups, they get pretty cruel in their insults, and the radio host has to
              break up at least one fight. I was told that shots were fired in the parking
              lot after the broadcast. Does ayone know their Oakland history?

              Thanks,
              Dan

              �Les gens que l'on comprend-ceson eux que l'on domine.�
              "Those we understand are those we control."

              -James Ellroy, AMERICAN TABLOID

            • Ryan Shaw
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 1999
                > This reminds me-I have an "epic freestyle battle" that a friend of my
                > sister's taped off an Oakland radio station in 1994 between Hieroglyphics
                > and The Hobo Junction Crew. It's really amazing, Saffir of Hobo Junction
                > bests all the Hieros, excpet Casual, yet I have not been able to find
                > aything more about him or Hobo Junction. Anybody know aything?

                Check out http://www.hobojunction.com

                That is truly one of the all-time great battles, and yes, Hieros
                got served. Supposedly, the Hieros saw it as a test of freestyling
                skills, and tried to come completely off the top of their heads.
                The Hobos, one the other hand, had prepared some lyrics ahead of time.
                That partly explains their dominance. Also, the Hieros were pretty
                unprepared for the Hobos' vicious personal attacks. I'd say they
                were unprepared for a true battle, and got it confused with a
                freestyling contest. Usually, in battles anything goes, including
                writtens.

                > It was taped off of KMEL 106.1.

                DJ Shadow's former station, by the way.

                > I was told that shots were fired in the parking lot after the
                > broadcast.

                That sounds like rumor to me.

                Although the groups do represent two different sides of Bay Area
                hip-hop, and it is understandable that there might be some friction.
                Part of it is good-old American class warfare--the Hieros come from
                comfortable, college-educated backgrounds, whereas the Hoboes had
                no such luck. Fortunately, I'd say that the two scenes have
                integrated pretty well since '94.

                rbs.
              • vrn
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2, 1999
                  At 10:37 PM 6/1/99 PDT, you wrote:

                  >This reminds me-I have an "epic freestyle battle" that a friend of my
                  >sister's taped off an Oakland radio station in 1994 between Hieroglyphics
                  >and The Hobo Junction Crew. It's really amazing, Saffir of Hobo Junction
                  >bests all the Hieros, excpet Casual,

                  >Also, I heard that this was initiated by a long-standing feud between the
                  >groups, they get pretty cruel in their insults, and the radio host has to
                  >break up at least one fight.

                  I don't know, i have no idea of the origin of the whole thing, all i know
                  is that it was predated by a live Casual/Saafir battle at 'Crash Palace'
                  (which i've got about 10 minutes of in shitty quality Mp3. i also have like
                  5 minutes of the KMEL battle, if anyone can offer space i'll upload them both)

                  also, Saafir made a brief appearance on Casual's first LP 'Fear Itself'

                  >I was told that shots were fired in the parking
                  >lot after the broadcast. Does ayone know their Oakland history?

                  I seriously doubt that...
                  from http://www.loud.com/elevatedminds/cerebral/casual/index.html

                  >EM: Casual vs. Saafir...to me it was one of the great hiphop battles. You
                  handled that beef correctly so >it didn't get out of hand like Biggie or
                  2Pac. Are you and Saafir friends?

                  >C: We see each other every now and then. At that time the beef was serious
                  like we was about to fight >but really it wasn't any beef because of lot of
                  it was based on lies and things just didn't hold up.

                  At 03:02 PM 6/2/99 +0900, you wrote:
                  >From: "Ryan Shaw <Ryan Shaw" <ryan@...>

                  >That is truly one of the all-time great battles, and yes, Hieros
                  >got served. Supposedly, the Hieros saw it as a test of freestyling
                  >skills, and tried to come completely off the top of their heads.
                  >The Hobos, one the other hand, had prepared some lyrics ahead of time.
                  >That partly explains their dominance. Also, the Hieros were pretty
                  >unprepared for the Hobos' vicious personal attacks. I'd say they
                  >were unprepared for a true battle, and got it confused with a
                  >freestyling contest. Usually, in battles anything goes, including
                  >writtens.

                  umm... no. bringing the writtens was a super weak move by the hobos. you
                  come off the dome, or you don't
                  come at all.

                  Not to mention the fact that Del, the superior Hiero member (IMHO) wasn't
                  in attendance. Del has the ability to rip Saafir, even with the writtens.

                  /mlt