Re: Dave Douglas/John Zorn

  • Benito Vergara
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 1999

      I would put Zorn's game pieces in the you-hadda-be-there category -- fun to
      watch when being performed, random noodling when played in your living room.
      I could barely get through the whole of "Cobra Live at the Knitting Factory"
      before I sold it back. Can't get a handle on "Archery," etc. either.

      Naked City's "Heretic" I find pretty iffy as well -- little of the tightness
      of the first Naked City album, the frenzy of "Torture Garden," or the
      luxuriant oppressiveness of "Leng T'che" and "Absinthe," and too much of
      Yamantaka Eye's screaming. The live-in-Osaka disc off the Painkiller box set
      is pretty turgid as well (though you can pick up the other Painkiller albums
      singly anyhow).

      Otherwise you're already in good hands with those already recommended.
      Zorn's "Naked City" is pretty essential, as is "Spy Vs Spy." The Masada
      series are generally excellent (I prefer the second one myself), but they're
      darn expensive. (My advice, which I'll be heeding myself: wait for the box
      set to come out, and then get my greedy hands on the used CDs.) "Bar Kokhba"
      and "The Circle Maker" (Masada tunes arranged for chamber orchestra / string
      trio etc.) are gorgeous.

      Damn -- how could I forget "News for Lulu," with George Lewis and Bill
      Frisell? Covers of mostly Hank Mobley / Sonny Clark compositions; excellent
      straight-up jazz.

      Later,
      Ben

      http://www.bigfoot.com/~bvergara/
      ICQ# 12832406
    • Oliver Brice
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 1999
        - could anybody
        >recommend a
        >good jazz recording by John Zorn?

        News for Lulu- John Zorn (saxes), George Lewis (trombone), Bill Frisell
        (guitar).

        Olie
      • Oliver Brice
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 1999
          John Zorn recordings that I
          >should
          >AVOID.

          Spillane, the Big Gundown, Painkiller, First Recordings.

          Olie