Re: Dave Douglas/John Zorn

  • Little Bear
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 1999
      As an update tp my last e-mail - I would like to ask if anybody out there
      has any ideas about Dave Douglas or John Zorn recordings that I should
      AVOID.

      Thanks to everybody who got back to me so quickly after my last set of
      questions!

      Rob

    • Benito Vergara
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 1999

        I would put Zorn's game pieces in the you-hadda-be-there category -- fun to
        watch when being performed, random noodling when played in your living room.
        I could barely get through the whole of "Cobra Live at the Knitting Factory"
        before I sold it back. Can't get a handle on "Archery," etc. either.

        Naked City's "Heretic" I find pretty iffy as well -- little of the tightness
        of the first Naked City album, the frenzy of "Torture Garden," or the
        luxuriant oppressiveness of "Leng T'che" and "Absinthe," and too much of
        Yamantaka Eye's screaming. The live-in-Osaka disc off the Painkiller box set
        is pretty turgid as well (though you can pick up the other Painkiller albums
        singly anyhow).

        Otherwise you're already in good hands with those already recommended.
        Zorn's "Naked City" is pretty essential, as is "Spy Vs Spy." The Masada
        series are generally excellent (I prefer the second one myself), but they're
        darn expensive. (My advice, which I'll be heeding myself: wait for the box
        set to come out, and then get my greedy hands on the used CDs.) "Bar Kokhba"
        and "The Circle Maker" (Masada tunes arranged for chamber orchestra / string
        trio etc.) are gorgeous.

        Damn -- how could I forget "News for Lulu," with George Lewis and Bill
        Frisell? Covers of mostly Hank Mobley / Sonny Clark compositions; excellent
        straight-up jazz.

        Later,
        Ben

        http://www.bigfoot.com/~bvergara/
        ICQ# 12832406
      • Oliver Brice
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 1999
          - could anybody
          >recommend a
          >good jazz recording by John Zorn?

          News for Lulu- John Zorn (saxes), George Lewis (trombone), Bill Frisell
          (guitar).

          Olie
        • Oliver Brice
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 1999
            John Zorn recordings that I
            >should
            >AVOID.

            Spillane, the Big Gundown, Painkiller, First Recordings.

            Olie