Re: Dave Douglas/John Zorn

  • dan hill
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 1999
      >From: "Little Bear" <sillygoose55@...>
      >
      >I just saw Dave Douglas at the Atlanta Jazz festival and I was very
      >impressed. Can anybody tell me anything about Dave Douglas? - Perhaps
      >recommend a good album? I've been looking around the internet for CD's of
      >his but I find it difficult to choose between them with only the titles of
      >the songs to go by - I tend to like the experimental stuff more than the
      >traditional stuff.

      we've got a dave douglas review (charms of the night sky, for winter and
      winter) that simon hopkins wrote for motion:
      http://motion.state51.co.uk/reviews/102.html
      includes sounds ...

      there's zorn stuff up there too ... have a search. i've got dave douglas'
      new(ish) record 'convergence' in front of me now, which i hope to get on
      motion shortly ...

      hope this helps ...
      dan.

      ---+ dan hill [state51]
      ---+ new reviews on motion [1.6.99]:
      < tom waits | funk spectrum | rough guide to the music of japan | andrea
      parker | birchville cat motel >
      http://motion.state51.co.uk/ +---
    • Little Bear
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 1999
        As an update tp my last e-mail - I would like to ask if anybody out there
        has any ideas about Dave Douglas or John Zorn recordings that I should
        AVOID.

        Thanks to everybody who got back to me so quickly after my last set of
        questions!

        Rob

      • Benito Vergara
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 1999

          I would put Zorn's game pieces in the you-hadda-be-there category -- fun to
          watch when being performed, random noodling when played in your living room.
          I could barely get through the whole of "Cobra Live at the Knitting Factory"
          before I sold it back. Can't get a handle on "Archery," etc. either.

          Naked City's "Heretic" I find pretty iffy as well -- little of the tightness
          of the first Naked City album, the frenzy of "Torture Garden," or the
          luxuriant oppressiveness of "Leng T'che" and "Absinthe," and too much of
          Yamantaka Eye's screaming. The live-in-Osaka disc off the Painkiller box set
          is pretty turgid as well (though you can pick up the other Painkiller albums
          singly anyhow).

          Otherwise you're already in good hands with those already recommended.
          Zorn's "Naked City" is pretty essential, as is "Spy Vs Spy." The Masada
          series are generally excellent (I prefer the second one myself), but they're
          darn expensive. (My advice, which I'll be heeding myself: wait for the box
          set to come out, and then get my greedy hands on the used CDs.) "Bar Kokhba"
          and "The Circle Maker" (Masada tunes arranged for chamber orchestra / string
          trio etc.) are gorgeous.

          Damn -- how could I forget "News for Lulu," with George Lewis and Bill
          Frisell? Covers of mostly Hank Mobley / Sonny Clark compositions; excellent
          straight-up jazz.

          Later,
          Ben

          http://www.bigfoot.com/~bvergara/
          ICQ# 12832406
        • Oliver Brice
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 1999
            - could anybody
            >recommend a
            >good jazz recording by John Zorn?

            News for Lulu- John Zorn (saxes), George Lewis (trombone), Bill Frisell
            (guitar).

            Olie
          • Oliver Brice
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 1999
              John Zorn recordings that I
              >should
              >AVOID.

              Spillane, the Big Gundown, Painkiller, First Recordings.

              Olie