Re: John Zorn

  • Davis Ford
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 1999
      > John Zorn?
      >
      > Where to start ? That's a colossal back catalogue you're embarking upon.
      >
      > Spy vs Spy is proabably the best place to start - re-interpretations of
      > Ornette Coleman, played in a hardcore style. Not for the dinner jazz fans
      > among us. His Masada work is also excellent - ranging from noise jazz to
      > more subtle, traditional jewish music influenced works.
      >
      > Or try the game piece album Cobra for some really bizarre structures/lack
      > of. It includes Wayne Horvitz, and, I believe, Fred Frith. Extensive
      liner
      > notes give some clues as to methods used.

      Kristallnacht (sp?) is a favorite of mine. It can get quite violent and
      delicious.

      Bar Kokhba is another favorite..two disc set..mostly trad. Jewish inspired
      jazz.

      I only have a couple of the Masada's. They aren't too noisy, but they are
      good.
      Is there any place online that has all the Masada albums reviewed in one
      batch?
      I'd like to read through that.

      Davis
    • Little Bear
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 1999
        Here's a new John Zorn page that looks like it might have the potential to
        be quite good:
        http://members.xoom.com/jschuth/

        Rob

      • Steven Taylor
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 1999
          Naked City - Black Box
        • Per-Christian Hille
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 1999
            > John Zorn?
            >
            > Where to start ?

            "The Big Gundown" (Nonesuch 1986), his reworkings of Morricone soundtrack
            tunes is quite excellent
            PC