John Zorn

  • Search for Havoc
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 1999
      John Zorn?

      Where to start ? That's a colossal back catalogue you're embarking upon.

      Spy vs Spy is proabably the best place to start - re-interpretations of
      Ornette Coleman, played in a hardcore style. Not for the dinner jazz fans
      among us. His Masada work is also excellent - ranging from noise jazz to
      more subtle, traditional jewish music influenced works.

      Or try the game piece album Cobra for some really bizarre structures/lack
      of. It includes Wayne Horvitz, and, I believe, Fred Frith. Extensive liner
      notes give some clues as to methods used.

      FGL
    • Davis Ford
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 1999
        > John Zorn?
        >
        > Where to start ? That's a colossal back catalogue you're embarking upon.
        >
        > Spy vs Spy is proabably the best place to start - re-interpretations of
        > Ornette Coleman, played in a hardcore style. Not for the dinner jazz fans
        > among us. His Masada work is also excellent - ranging from noise jazz to
        > more subtle, traditional jewish music influenced works.
        >
        > Or try the game piece album Cobra for some really bizarre structures/lack
        > of. It includes Wayne Horvitz, and, I believe, Fred Frith. Extensive
        liner
        > notes give some clues as to methods used.

        Kristallnacht (sp?) is a favorite of mine. It can get quite violent and
        delicious.

        Bar Kokhba is another favorite..two disc set..mostly trad. Jewish inspired
        jazz.

        I only have a couple of the Masada's. They aren't too noisy, but they are
        good.
        Is there any place online that has all the Masada albums reviewed in one
        batch?
        I'd like to read through that.

        Davis
      • Little Bear
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 1999
          Here's a new John Zorn page that looks like it might have the potential to
          be quite good:
          http://members.xoom.com/jschuth/

          Rob

        • Steven Taylor
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 1999
            Naked City - Black Box
          • Per-Christian Hille
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 1999
              > John Zorn?
              >
              > Where to start ?

              "The Big Gundown" (Nonesuch 1986), his reworkings of Morricone soundtrack
              tunes is quite excellent
              PC