Hancock query

  • Tom_Mugridge@ipc.co.uk
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 1999
      Calling all jazz buffs...can you help me with this one?

      I've been given a tape with a Herbie Hancock track called 'Nobu' on it. Does
      anyone have details of the album it's from (title, date and label if possible)?

      Cheers
      Tom
    • Doug Watson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 1999
        At 12:48 PM 1999/06/01 +0100, Tom_Mugridge@... wrote:

        >I've been given a tape with a Herbie Hancock track called 'Nobu' on it. Does
        >anyone have details of the album it's from (title, date and label if
        possible)?

        Herbie Hancock: Dedication [CBS/Sony 25AP 562, 1977 (recorded in 1974)]

        Japanese-only recording, recently reissued on CD. The first side is two
        solo acoustic pieces ("Maiden Voyage" and "Dolphin Dance") while the second
        half is two solo electric performances ("Nobu" and "Cantaloupe Island"). I
        finally found an original copy of this one a coupla months back, but
        unfortunately none of the other tracks are as intriguing as the man/machine
        interface -- Herbie improvising offa the random generator musings of an ARP
        synthesizer -- witnessed on "Nobu." File it under, Herbie Completists Only
        (which includes me, I suppose.) If you need a hardcopy, you're better off
        investing in the of-similar-vein JAZZ SATELLITES compilation 2CD on Virgin.

        Doug
      • Steven Taylor
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 1999
          Please reply onlist! I have this track on a CDr a friend did for me ages ago and
          ive never been able to track it down... For the first 30 secs i thought it was
          Underground Resistance or something! :)

          Tom_Mugridge@... wrote:

          > From: Tom_Mugridge@...
          >
          > Calling all jazz buffs...can you help me with this one?
          >
          > I've been given a tape with a Herbie Hancock track called 'Nobu' on it. Does
          > anyone have details of the album it's from (title, date and label if possible)?
          >
          > Cheers
          > Tom

        • DeeDee
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 1999
            --- Steven Taylor <kung.funk@...> wrote:
            > From: Steven Taylor <kung.funk@...>
            >
            > Please reply onlist! I have this track on a CDr a friend did for me
            > ages ago and
            > ive never been able to track it down... For the first 30 secs i
            > thought it was
            > Underground Resistance or something! :)

            Hi,
            found the following:
            Herbie Hancock: Dedication
            1/ Maiden Voyage
            2/ Dolphin Dance
            3/ Nobu
            4/ Cantaloupe Island
            Recorded July 29, 1974 at Koseinenkin Hall, Tokyo
            Herbie Hancock : acoustic piano (1,2), electric keyboards (3,4) -
            Fender Rhodes, ARP Pro
            Soloist, ARP Odyssey, ARP 3604, ARP 2600, ARP PE-IV string
            ensemble.
            19?? - Sony Records (Japan) SRCS 9342

            at the amazing online discography at
            http://home.t-online.de/home/stamil/hhdisco.htm

            The album is now avaliable anywhere in the usual online stores;
            however, I found out it�s on the "Jazz Sateletes Vol.1(Electrafication)
            compilation on Virgin Records, which is still avaliable from CDNow
            (www.cdnow.com). This is a great compilation, with the likes of Alice
            Coltrane, Miles,Don Cherry and more.
            And if you like that track, you might want to check Hancock�s wonderful
            "Sextant" album from 1973. Very electronic and experimental, this
            sounds a lot like nineties abstract electronica in places.If you want
            to check, I believe they have sound samples of that at CDNow- if not,
            let me know and I can make you some short RealAudio snippets.

            Hope this helps,
            Cheers,
            DeeDee