Pluramon

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 1998
      Three messages in one day. I must be feeling expansive.

      OK, I read the article on Pluramon, they sound right up my street,
      anyone heard the album, etc., etc.?

      JOHN
    • Oeivind Idsoe
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 1998
        John wrote:

        > OK, I read the article on Pluramon, they sound right up my street,
        > anyone heard the album, etc., etc.?

        I have both of their/his (the main man behind Pluramon is Markus Schmickler
        (of Wabi Sabi "fame" on A-musik)) releases on Mille Plateaux, "Pick Up
        Canyon" and their very recent "Render Bandits", and I like both albums quite
        a bit.

        I guess Pluramon could safely be described as post-Rock, as there are traces
        of the rock band on many of the tracks, but the band has kicked out the
        vocalist (thank god!) and make sure the raw material of drums and bass and
        guitar (and, on Render..., lots of other instruments, too) is treated with a
        bit of digital signal processing.

        On the first CD the edits seem more obvious than on the second, and some
        tracks contain a fine mix of rockey beats with a bit of digitalia, while
        others have abandonded the beats in favour of swooshing, raw sounds that
        come in and out of the mix to create a detailed and intrigueing web of
        comings and goings; there's speed but moving backwards and forwards at the
        same time. The second CD reminds of some of Tortoise, but it's not as
        "polished", and has more groove and drive (driven by Jaki Liebzeit) than any
        of the tracks on fx. TNT. There's some fascinating clanking rhythms on some
        of the tracks, and there's a sense of 'total sound' if you turn it up loud
        enough.

        Rob Young said he would die for Render Bandits. I wouldn't go that far (I
        would die for something like Bernard Parmegiani or and 50% of Autechres
        production ;), but RB seems to be another one of those CDs where extensive
        listening reveals more and more details (and there are plenty of details to
        reve(a)l!).

        > JOHN

        /Oeivind/
      • Sean Cooper
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 29, 1998
          > Rob Young said he would die for Render Bandits. I wouldn't go that far (I
          > would die for something like Bernard Parmegiani or and 50% of Autechres
          > production ;), but RB seems to be another one of those CDs where extensive
          > listening reveals more and more details (and there are plenty of details to
          > reve(a)l!).

          speaking of, i've just received my first bernard parmegiani disc in the
          mail ("la creation du monde"), and so far i'm enthralled. (granted i'm
          less than 2 minutes into it, but...) what are some other releases of his i
          might seek out? my tastes are pretty broad, but i'd take, say,
          xenakis over stockhausen, or mouse on mars over aphex twin.

          thanks,

          sc