Re: vinyl (warning: a bit off topic)

  • B Burns/C Wolf
    Message 1 of 5 , May 26, 1999
      Hello...

      I know the digital vs. analog debate is winding down but just a quick question
      concerning one of my biggest gripes about the digital format:

      How do you fix CD scratches/make skipping CDs playable once again?

      A few of my CDs have very light scratches but they cause a world of trouble.

      Thanks,
      Chris

      P.S. I apologize for being off topic.
    • Doug Watson
      Message 2 of 5 , May 26, 1999
        At 04:59 PM 1999/05/26 -0700, B Burns/C Wolf wrote:

        >How do you fix CD scratches/make skipping CDs playable once again?

        Scratches are near-impossible to fix, but scuffs (which tend to cause the
        *real* problems with laser tracking) are quickly cured by Perma-Spin, a
        purple-coloured suspension that costs about $7US and lasts virtually
        forever, being that one only uses about four or five drops at a time.
        Unfortunately I've no idea of the source-- I bought mine at a local shop--
        although a websearch might getcha somewhere.

        Doug
      • Davis Ford
        Message 3 of 5 , May 26, 1999
          >From: B Burns/C Wolf <poppy74@...>
          >
          >Hello...
          >
          >I know the digital vs. analog debate is winding down but just a quick
          question
          >concerning one of my biggest gripes about the digital format:
          >
          >How do you fix CD scratches/make skipping CDs playable once again?
          >
          >A few of my CDs have very light scratches but they cause a world of
          trouble.

          >Thanks,
          >Chris
          >
          >P.S. I apologize for being off topic.

          The CD Player you're using is also worth investigating. There is a reason
          some CD players are more expensive than others. Try testing your skipping
          cd's on newer players - and see if the problem may lie elsewhere. There is
          no way to reverse the process once a disc has been scratched badly (the same
          can be said for vinyl, though). I have seen discs that looked like someone
          taped them to the bottom of their shoe for a day, and they played fine on
          some systems, and horribly on others.

          davis
        • Luigi Santosuosso
          Message 4 of 5 , May 27, 1999
            >How do you fix CD scratches/make skipping CDs playable once again?
            >
            >A few of my CDs have very light scratches but they cause a world of
            trouble.

            I remember that a shop in Cambridge MA (it could have been CD Spins, or
            Planet records) advertised that they were able to repair all sorts of
            damaged CDs. I have no idea how, but maybe other shops do the same
            elsewhere.

            ciao
            Luigi
          • DeeDee
            Message 5 of 5 , May 27, 1999
              > How do you fix CD scratches/make skipping CDs playable once again?
              >
              > A few of my CDs have very light scratches but they cause a world of
              > trouble.

              No kidding.
              Toothpaste and isopropyle-alcohol.
              First, work on the scratch with toothpaste (don�t use gel ! too much
              sand in that).Rub it in good with a moist piece of soft cloth.Then
              rinse with isopropylealcohol (avaliable at pharmacists).This should
              even get rid of bad scratches.

              Cheers,
              DeeDee