Re: ethnic music

  • Karl Tiderman
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 1999
      Early European ethnic music? Well, try the issues of early cylinder recordings issued by Swedish and Norwegian radio respectively. The Swedish issue is called "´┐Żldre svenska spelm´┐Żn" (= Older Swedish folk musicians). The Norwegian title, I don't know, but it's on the Grappa label. And I'm fairly sure
      that Arhoolie would have some titles with, say, Italian recordings, since they have Polish 78's reissued on CD.
      And for Britain, try "Hidden English", an anthology made a few years back (on Topic?). There is also one even more recent, something to do with 100 years of recorded folk song. (Check Folk Roots) And for old people singing old songs (even though the recordings are relatively recent), try the Voice of
      the People series (20 CD's. Marvellous!) Same goes for Swedish music and Norwegian - there are long series of radio recordings (vocal and instrumental) recently reissued. Rootsy, indeed.
      Karl