Re: The Well Tuned Pocket Rocket

  • Robert L Thornton
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 1999
      On Wed, 26 May 1999, David Beardsley wrote:

      > From: David Beardsley <xouoxno@...>
      >
      > From: "Silt Paribas" <sedimente@...>
      >
      > > Can you describe Birdhouse/Catler Brothers a bit?
      >
      > > I went to see John Catler
      >
      > That's Jon.
      >

      > > I just don't understand what the point is in playing in Just
      > > Intonation if you're still paying lip service to a late 80s glam metal
      > > guitar hero cock rock idiom
      > > ...I mean, I would have been more impressed by
      > > Yngwie Malmsteen getting up there and giving it to me with a tiger striped
      > > guitar between his legs -- which this differed from very little. Who cares
      > > how many micro-intervals you can hear if at the end of the day you're just a
      > > mathematician and a posture?

      > The guy has played the original Adapted Guitar in Harry Partch's
      > Oedipus and the premere of Johnny Reinhard's realization of
      > Charles Ives Universe symphony. Also the world premier of the Just
      > Intonation version of La Monte Young's "For Guitar" in Venice,
      > Italy 1986, the New York premier in 1987, as well as the
      > Theater of Eternal Music Big Band and the Forever Bad Blues Band.
      >
      > He must be doing something right.

      A nice big resume is all well and good, but I think that it shouldn't get
      in the way of your ears. Sometimes the emperor doesn't have any clothes,
      you know. For example, just 'cause legendary NYC Downtown vet Elliott
      Sharp did a blues project (Terraplane) doesn't mean it _has_ to be good,
      and from what I've heard, Terraplane wasn't.

      Rob Thornton
      from
      rlt@...