Matmos

  • John
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 29, 1998
      Hello kids,

      I've read a few things about Matmos (principally the stuff in The
      Wire - the reviews of 'Matmos' and 'Quasi-Objects' and the bit in
      Bites from a year ago) and wondered if they were all they're cracked
      up to be. I'm interested in getting hold of their stuff, you see.
      From what I've read they sound like one of the very few interesting
      techno-ish bands around at the minute.

      I like some of Orbital and Leftfield's earlier material if that's any
      useful starting point.

      JOHN
    • Oeivind Idsoe
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 29, 1998
        John wrote:

        > I've read a few things about Matmos (principally the stuff in The
        > Wire - the reviews of 'Matmos' and 'Quasi-Objects' and the bit in
        > Bites from a year ago) and wondered if they were all they're cracked
        > up to be.

        I only have "Matmos", and it's OK. I understand Quasi-objects might be
        better. Some, including The Wire, have compared them to Autechre, but that's
        not really a fair comparison. While Autechre's sounds are digital In
        Extremis and their rhythm/sound patterns sound like Opcode Max on acid,
        Matmos seem to prefer a more raw and "unrefined" (not meant in a negative
        way) approach to sound. Sound sources are often recognizable, but are put
        together with more care and sense of purpose/invention than most other
        electronica tracks. And that's a definite bonus!

        > I like some of Orbital and Leftfield's earlier material if that's any
        > useful starting point.

        Orbital and Leftfield are really not even close to Matmos. I'd say they are
        both a lot more poppy and have a sound that's more accessible than Matmos
        (personal preferences: I like Orbital's earlier material (but hate their
        later), and don't like Leftfield :), but it would probably be a good move to
        go for Matmos as they can be seen as a reaction (re-development?) to some of
        the things that Orbital used to sniff at until media attention and
        semi-stardom started choking their creative urges and they went all Preset
        on us.

        > JOHN

        /Oeivind/
      • peter&diana szymczak
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 30, 1998
          Oeivind Idsoe <terje.idsoe@...> wrote:

          >> it would probably be a good move to go for Matmos
          >> as they can be seen as a reaction (re-development?)
          >> to some of the things that Orbital used to sniff at
          >> until media attention and semi-stardom started choking
          >> their creative urges and they went all Preset on us.

          Ah whatever, Orbital rock and that's all there is to it,
          and Matmos for my money suck clams, although that's
          probably something they'd sample...

          npimh: Massive Attack "Mezzanine"
        • sven ranlund
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 30, 1998
            Oeivind wrote:
            Matmos seem to prefer a more raw and "unrefined" (not meant in a
            negative way) approach to sound. Sound sources are often recognizable,
            but are put together with more care and sense of purpose/invention than
            most other electronica tracks. ...Orbital and Leftfield are really not
            even close to Matmos. I'd say they are both a lot more poppy and have a
            sound that's more accessible than Matmos.

            Accesibility is a tricky factor, much depending on from which
            corner you come. One thing I really do like about Quasi Objects is their
            sense of humour. Actually, I think Matmos is fairly accessible with
            their sometimes poppy, sometimes spooky tunes. Perhaps the use of
            concret soundsources (sampled and processed balloons, bodies, banjo, wet
            latex t-shirt etc) put them in a unusually happy playground, allowing
            them to even use melodies (isn�t it Grieg Peer Gynt, somewhere,
            whistled?)
            Anyway, QB is one of few rec�s in the genre that make me listen and
            laugh. That kind of humour is a rare thing in centraleuropean
            electronica these days.
            Would be fun to know more about them. Anyone seen them perform live?
            /Sven
          • TamperCD@xxx.xxxx
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 30, 1998
              Well, I think Matmos is >the balls<, and have been playing "and silver light
              popped in his eyes" either in whole (18 minutes - ack!) or in part on my show
              periodically since it came out. And I'm not alone. it >always< yields a "WHO
              IS THIS????" phone call or two everytime i play it.

              I just like their textures and imperfections. Though ive always liked teh
              coldness and non-human quality that electronic music has offered, Matmos have
              managed to exploit while superimposing a more organic sound over it to come up
              with something entirely different.

              my two cents --

              --Paul
            • Christopher Bieg
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 1998
                > Hello kids,
                >
                > I've read a few things about Matmos (principally the stuff in The
                > Wire - the reviews of 'Matmos' and 'Quasi-Objects' and the bit in
                > Bites from a year ago) and wondered if they were all they're cracked
                > up to be. I'm interested in getting hold of their stuff, you see.
                > From what I've read they sound like one of the very few interesting
                > techno-ish bands around at the minute.
                >
                > I like some of Orbital and Leftfield's earlier material if that's any
                > useful starting point.

                There's a little known site which offers a good bio on them...

                http://www.abrupt.org/PRODUCT/matmos.html

                Christopher Bieg [cbieg@...]
                [cnwbieg@...]

                Current listenings ... 30 June 98
                Farmers Manual :: Explorers_We CD
                Ryoji Ikeda :: 1000 Fragments CD
                Tricky :: Angels With Dirty Faces CD
              • Paolo.Zucca@xxxxxxxxx.xx
                Message 7 of 9 , May 7, 1999
                  I remember a terminated thread on this list about Matmos.
                  I found this palylist on the Italian mag BLOW UP compiled by Martin and
                  Drew, maybe someone could be interested in:

                  Martin:

                  Jonathan Winters - Another Day, Another World
                  V/A - Music From West Africa (Rounder)
                  Jimi Hendrix - Live at Fillmore
                  Supercollider - It won't be long 12
                  H. Czukay - On the way to peak of normal

                  Drew:

                  Arovan - Occer/Silicad 7"
                  E. Fullman - Change of Direction
                  Lexaunculpt - Double Density 12"
                  Havergall - It's all Trash 10"
                  Skip Spence - Oar

                  All the Best

                  Paolo Zucca

                  Network Monitoring & Management
                  Sema Group S.p.A.
                  Viale Carlo Viola, 76 - 11026 Pont Saint Martin (AO)
                  Italy

                  * : +39.0125.810501
                  Fax : +39.0125.810570

                  E-mail: paolo,zucca@...
                • Herbert Struyf
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 7, 1999
                    Erm... is anybody familiar with the records/artists in Drew's list? What
                    do they sound like?

                    Thanx,

                    herbert
                    http://www.dma.be/p/ultra

                  • pimmon@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 7, 1999
                      >Erm... is anybody familiar with the records/artists in Drew's list? What
                      >do they sound like?

                      >> Drew:

                      >> Arovan - Occer/Silicad 7"

                      Great german electronica...sits nicely amongst most Skam releases..

                      >> Lexaunculpt - Double Density 12"

                      Courtesy of FE/Hvratski:

                      "Lexaunculpt is 19 year-old Alex Graham, a resident of the city of
                      Orange. Quickly gaining attention for his first 12" released on
                      Isophlux earlier this year and in Southern California for his amazing
                      live sets, we feel that Lexaunculpt's record for Orange announces the
                      arrival of a major new talent in electronic music in the US. Combining
                      elements of hip-hop with highly complex digital rhythms, Lexaunculpt
                      is guaranteed to leave the most jaded trainspotters impressed "

                      Hope this helps [2/5]...

                      paul