Re: new comps

  • ( h r | s
    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 1998
      >Anybody pick up anything good?

      I finally got a hold of some Beth Orton singles. She's awesome. Other stuff
      I've picked up recently are Pure Abstrakt comp(featureing DJ Cam,
      Sharpshooters, Shantel, etc), Teardrop single(the Mad Professor remix is
      nice), and Portishead live boots.

      I'm hoping to get that Miles Davis remix album by Bill Lasswell, the new
      Massive Attack, Tricky, Garbage, King Britt & DJ Krush remixes of Miles
      Davis.....I can't wait!

      C H R I S

    • ( h r | s
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 1998
        At 07:24 PM 5/10/98 -0000, you wrote:
        >From: "Andrew Grant" <stoic@...>
        >
        >Two questions --
        >1) where did you find the Portishead boots
        >2) what DJ Krush Miles Davis re-mix album? (I hadn't heard.)

        I don't know where the Portishead boots came from. A freind just gave me a
        tape. I think some are b-sides of singles and some are real boots.

        I don't know when the DJ Krush and King Britt remixes Miles is supposed to
        come out. I read about it on MTV news. Someone told me that it was gonna be
        a remix of Bill Laswell remixes.

        Has anybody check out that import CD titled "Koi Ku" or something like
        that, it's DJ Krush and a Japanese horn player. I forget his name but I was
        able to listen to some mixes on the new DJ Krush reconstructed CD
        "Holonic". Very Milesish.......

        C H R I S

      • David M Ford
        Message 3 of 6 , May 9, 1998
          this list is far too quiet.

          i just grabbed two pretty swell new comps on sub rosa and mille p.

          Water & Architecture has Directions, Atom Heart, Seefeel, and Bisk.

          Modulations & Transformations is a 2cd set featuring Oval, Jim O'Rourke, DJ
          Spooky, Terre Thaemlitz, Scanner, Gas, Panacea, Cristian Vogel, Jammin Unit,
          and a whole slew of others I'm not familiar with.

          Anybody else heard these?

          Anybody pick up anything good?

          Anybody manage to witness those two NYC Fall shows reviewed in the new Wire?

          davis
        • Taylor McLaren
          Message 4 of 6 , May 9, 1998
            MEEP! David M Ford wrote:
            > Modulations & Transformations is a 2cd set... [blah, blah, blah]
            Question #1: Was anybody else more than just a tad bit put out by the
            fact that the Sidewinder track was just a bunch of recycled Techno Animal
            noises and rhythms? Maybe I'm being too fussy for my own good, but if I
            really want to hear "Intercranial", I'll throw on EL3 and be happy.

            Question #2: Okay, so this doesn't have anything to do with M&T3, but I
            did recently grab a copy of Sun Ra's _Space Is The Place_ on the strength
            of all of the hype that it has been receiving lately and, frankly, I
            don't get it. Should I chalk this one up as another jazz classic that I
            just don't understand, or does the title track actually sound like half-
            baked John Zorn material? Could anybody point me in the direction of
            other Sun Ra releases that aren't quite so... um... improvised, and in
            which the band occasionally sounds as though it's playing together?

            -me (Question #3 sanitized for your protection)
          • JonAbbey2
            Message 5 of 6 , May 9, 1998
              In a message dated 5/9/98 11:47:53 PM, bm254@... wrote:

              <<Okay, so this doesn't have anything to do with M&T3, but I

              did recently grab a copy of Sun Ra's _Space Is The Place_ on the strength

              of all of the hype that it has been receiving lately and, frankly, I

              don't get it. Should I chalk this one up as another jazz classic that I

              just don't understand, or does the title track actually sound like half-

              baked John Zorn material? Could anybody point me in the direction of

              other Sun Ra releases that aren't quite so... um... improvised, and in

              which the band occasionally sounds as though it's playing together?>>

              Space Is the Place isn't one of the better Sun Ra albums that I've heard.
              Better starting places would be Cosmic Tones For Mental Therapy, Atlantis or
              Heliocentric Worlds, Volume 1.

              Half-baked John Zorn material is a bit unfair.

              Jon
            • Andrew Grant
              Message 6 of 6 , May 10, 1998
                Two questions --