Jon Rose

  • John Straub
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 1999
      At 10:56 AM 5/6/1999 J.T. de Boer recommended:

      >Jon Rose: mad violinist who's been using interactive electronic

      >equipment for a long, long period of time. Check out his albums

      >featuring Otomo Yoshihide, Christian Marclay and Eugene Chadbourne. I

      >think they're on RecRec.

      I'm a big fan, and can also recommend him as a live performer. Especially memorable to me is a performance he organized in Berlin in 1991 that was inspired by the 1936 Olympics. He used excerpts from German radio broadcasts that were triggered by motion detectors on his bow-hand. When not playing violin, he could trigger one kind of sound by waving his hand up and down, and another by waving it from side to side. The sounds that came while he played his instrument were obviously a bit more randomized.

      JDS

      * *

      * <bold>The Kraft-o-Matic Bed o' Nails
      </bold>*

      * *

      * A weekly netcast of music programmed to be *

      * highly adjustable, though not guaranteed to be comfortable. *

      * *

      * http://WSUM.wisc.edu *

      * *

      * 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM (US Central Time) *

      * 11:00 PM - 2:00 AM (GMT) *

      * *

    • JdK
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 1999
        http://www.euronet.nl/users/jrviolin/index.html

        JdK Productions\PO Box 92097\1090 AB Amsterdam
        tel\fax +031 20 6630 559
        http://radiantslab.com/jdk

        >At 10:56 AM 5/6/1999 J.T. de Boer recommended:
        >
        >>Jon Rose: mad violinist who's been using interactive electronic
        >>equipment for a long, long period of time. Check out his albums
        >>featuring Otomo Yoshihide, Christian Marclay and Eugene Chadbourne. I
        >>think they're on RecRec.
        >
        >I'm a big fan, and can also recommend him as a live performer. Especially
        >memorable to me is a performance he organized in Berlin in 1991 that was
        >inspired by the 1936 Olympics. He used excerpts from German radio
        >broadcasts that were triggered by motion detectors on his bow-hand. When
        >not playing violin, he could trigger one kind of sound by waving his hand
        >up and down, and another by waving it from side to side. The sounds that
        >came while he played his instrument were obviously a bit more randomized.
        >
        >JDS

        >* *
        >* The Kraft-o-Matic Bed o' Nails *
        >* *
        >* A weekly netcast of music programmed to be *
        >* highly adjustable, though not guaranteed to be comfortable. *
        >* *
        >* http://WSUM.wisc.edu *
        >* *
        >* 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM (US Central Time) *
        >* 11:00 PM - 2:00 AM (GMT) *
        >* *

      • Lee Pilich
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2 6:21 AM
          Can anybody point me in the direction of good Jon Rose records - there seem
          to be hundreds of them. I bought The Violin Factory the other day, and am
          loving it, don't have any others. Any guide to similar artists also much
          appreciated. Thanks.

          Lee

          PS I thought this list was moderated now? If it is, can we demand the
          moderators have drugs tests?
        • António J Silva
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3 3:28 PM
            Try

            "shopping.live@victo" (ReR, 1996)

            featuring Lauren Newton, Joelle Leandre, Otomo Yoshihide, Chris Cutler, ...

            or

            "Perks" (ReR, also 1996)

            or

            "The Fence" ( ReR, 1998).

            I had the privilege to see Jon Rose playing live some years ago in a small (but
            wonderful ) music festival in Portugal, at Ó da Guarda. Something
            unforgettable. Try to catch one of his shows, somewhere.

            Good luck!

            antóNio