Re: naff CDs

  • John
    Message 1 of 6 , May 6, 1999
      : Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 12:46:24 +0200
      : From: "Per-Christian Hille" <per.hille@...>
      : Subject: Re: Naff CDs

      [on CDs you expect to be great but turn out to be toss]

      : I can think of the new Mogwai album
      : PC

      You're definitely onto something there. Passive, one-dimensional
      guitar strolls pass over you without invoking any emotions
      whatsoever. This is like Aerial M but at least Pajo's stuff is
      intermittently engaging. 'CODY', though, just stinks bad.

      I expected Terre Thaemlitz's 'Means from an End' to be awesome but it
      sounds more than a tad ropey to me. Oh well, I guess that's what you
      get for having preconceptions.

      JOHN
    • philT
      Message 2 of 6 , May 6, 1999
        > I expected Terre Thaemlitz's 'Means from an End' to be awesome but it
        > sounds more than a tad ropey to me. Oh well, I guess that's what you
        > get for having preconceptions.

        Whilst we're on Thaemlitz, I'd put 'Die Roboto Rubato' in this bucket as
        well. I'm not sure how to listen to it - it doesn't seem to work as
        either a piano or electronic piece. I can readily understand the concept
        behind the thing but listening to it thrills me not one iota, especially
        when compared to some of his other releases.

        --
        <philT>
        "Gone into hiding, can't abide the latest tidings from the tribe.
        Message 3 of 6 , May 6, 1999
          > From: philT <pturnbul@...>
          >
          > > I expected Terre Thaemlitz's 'Means from an End' to be awesome but it
          > > sounds more than a tad ropey to me. Oh well, I guess that's what you
          > > get for having preconceptions.
          > >
          > Whilst we're on Thaemlitz, I'd put 'Die Roboto Rubato' in this bucket as
          > well. I'm not sure how to listen to it - it doesn't seem to work as
          > either a piano or electronic piece. I can readily understand the concept
          > behind the thing but listening to it thrills me not one iota, especially
          > when compared to some of his other releases.

          here's another typical thread: recordings that sound great on paper, but
          fail in practice. i nominate just about everything john cage ever did. i
          have actually heard some cage pieces that stirred me, but for the most part,
          the explanation of the piece got me way more excited than the actual
          listening experience. harry partch falls into this category as well...at
          least for me.

          davis
        • Alex Stone
          Message 4 of 6 , May 7, 1999
            >here's another typical thread: recordings that sound great on paper, but
            >fail in practice. i nominate just about everything john cage ever did. i
            >have actually heard some cage pieces that stirred me, but for the most part,
            >the explanation of the piece got me way more excited than the actual
            >listening experience. harry partch falls into this category as well...at
            >least for me.

            Some of Cage's gentler prepared piano stuff I like, and Partch's "On the
            seventh day petals fell.." is also nice, but generally I'd agree. I've said
            before that reading about Stockhausen is more exciting to me than listening
            to him, but again there are exceptions: Stimmung, bits of Aus Dem Siegen
            Tagen, Opus 1974. Most recordings I've heard derived from plant noises or
            brainwaves are dull.

            And I can't count the times I've cursed a reviewer in the Wire for sending
            me out after some godawful nonsense!
          • Matthew Weber
            Message 5 of 6 , May 7, 1999
              At 08:04 AM 5/7/99 +0100, you wrote:
              >From: Alex Stone <alex@astone.u-net.com>
              >

              >>here's another typical thread: recordings that sound great on paper, but
              >>fail in practice. i nominate just about everything john cage ever did. i
              >>have actually heard some cage pieces that stirred me, but for the most part,
              >>the explanation of the piece got me way more excited than the actual
              >>listening experience. harry partch falls into this category as well...at
              >>least for me.
              >
              >Some of Cage's gentler prepared piano stuff I like, and Partch's "On the
              >seventh day petals fell.." is also nice, but generally I'd agree. I've said
              >before that reading about Stockhausen is more exciting to me than listening
              >to him, but again there are exceptions: Stimmung, bits of Aus Dem Siegen
              >Tagen, Opus 1974. Most recordings I've heard derived from plant noises or
              >brainwaves are dull.

              Have you heard Stockhausen's _Hymnen_? Great stuff!

              >And I can't count the times I've cursed a reviewer in the Wire for sending
              >me out after some godawful nonsense!

              Well, y'know, there's no such thing as an objective standard. One man's
              meat, etc.

              Matthew Weber
              Library Assistant III
              Music Library
              University of California at Berkeley

              Men are the most pernicious race of little odious vermin that Nature ever
              suffered to crawl upon the face of the earth.
              Anatole France (1844-1924), _Correspondence_
            • Eloy Anzola
              Message 6 of 6 , May 7, 1999
                Mr. "Davis Ford" was heard:

                > here's another typical thread: recordings that sound great on paper, but
                > fail in practice.

                Have you ever attended any SEAMUS or Ircam, or any Computer Music
                conference ?

                Some pieces will just blow you away, no question.

                But it's impressive how most compositions lack
                perspective; and how technical aspects are to
                excuse the lame quality of the music.

                ... still, I hope they never stop.

                All the best,
                The love is in the groove,