Re: Faust

  • bb454@mcmail.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 1999
      > Speaking of Faust (and this may have already been discussed recently and
      > I didn't notice): Has anyone heard their new album, "Ravvivando", yet?
      > I've only heard Faust 4 and their guest playing on "Outside the Dream
      > Syndicate", but I would say that parts of the new album don't seem to be
      > that far below the quality of what I've heard...

      Hmmm...

      To my mind, Faust 4 is probably their most mainstream and least
      interesting album.

      Ravvivando (which I have only listened to a few times as yet) is ok,
      but some of the things that I want from Faust (abrupt, odd changes;
      strange vocals; the juxtaposition between noise and gentle sounds)
      are missing. A lot of the pieces seem fairly one-dimensional
      electronic rock with little development or interest. Having said
      that, I do enjoy it !

      My favourite Faust albums are "Faust" and "The Faust Tapes" -
      bloody great !

      By the way, listen to "It's a Bit of a Pain" from Faust IV and then
      listen to The Beta Band - it's almost a blueprint for their sound.

      Oh, and (here comes the plug), listen to "I Changed My Dentist... I
      Changed Him Into a Horse" by Big Block 454 - we listened to The
      Faust Tapes once or twice before recording that album.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Colin, Big Block 454, Manchester, England
      The Official Big Block 454 Non-Ironic Web Site
      http://www.bigblock454.mcmail.com
      Raspberry Records
      http://www.raspberryrecords.com
      mp3.com
      http://www.mp3.com/bigblock454
      Email :
      bb454@...
      bb454@...
      bb454@...
    • Andy Wilson

        > but some of the things that I want from Faust (abrupt, odd changes;
        > strange vocals; the juxtaposition between noise and gentle sounds)
        > are missing.

        Ravvivando is a wonderful album, but it does have less emphasis on
        abrupt changes and 'hard editing' in favour of long, beautiful pieces.
        I would rate it as highly as their first album, certainly I'd
        encourage people to give it a try - and to help you with that, I've
        put two of the tracks on the 'Faust Jukebox' online at
        http://andyw.zinc.co.uk/faust/jukebox.asp

        - ------------------------------------
        Andy Wilson
        Technical Director
        ZINC
        http://andyw.zinc.co.uk/
        http://www.zinc.co.uk/
        97 Charlotte Street
        London W1P 1LB
        T: 0171 533 0519
        T: 0171 533 0533
        M: 0956 902 438
        F: 0171 533 0534
        - ------------------------------------

        http://www.msu.edu/user/forddavi/wirelist.html

      • tsasscer@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 11 , May 10, 1999
          I recently saw a Faust concert video for sale...seems to be from the recent
          (95 or so) excusion to the States...I know little about Faust, and have
          heard even less of them, but would be interested in buying the video as a
          starting place if it comes recommended. Any advice from Faust cognoscenti?

          Thanks,

          Tim.

          PS...Boredoms in Chicago in mid June, although Derek Bailey cancelled. (?)
        • philT
          Message 4 of 11 , May 10, 1999

            > I recently saw a Faust concert video for sale...seems to be from the recent
            > (95 or so) excusion to the States...I know little about Faust, and have
            > heard even less of them, but would be interested in buying the video as a
            > starting place if it comes recommended. Any advice from Faust cognoscenti?

            By all means get a Faust video which would show, to less startling
            effect, their use of grinders, etc but, especially if it's a concert
            from recent years, don't expect it to reflect the musical content of the
            releases.

            I'm sure that everyone who loves Faust would suggest that, instead, you
            purchase any of the 1st 4 albums (s/t, "So Far" [hard to find, btw],
            "Tapes", "IV"), preferably in that order, and see if you can get it off
            the player. If you can't then go out and buy the rest and then, if
            you're still enamoured, get "Ravvivando" and "You Know Faust".

            --
            <philT>
            "Gone into hiding, can't abide the latest tidings from the tribe.
            Message 5 of 11 , May 11, 1999
              What about Rien? Also, I really rate the live CD from Edinburgh 1997 (Fluxus
              or something?).

              I've only seen them live on two occassions: the first was in Berlin (the
              Rote Saloon, or something similar I can't speak German so you'l have to
              forgive me!) in early 1997. An absolutely amazing show, and my first
              introduction to Faust. It made me go out and buy everything I could find
              with their name associated to it.

              However, I saw them again recently in London (the Garage toward the end of
              last year) though this show was sold out and had a great air of excitement
              surrounding it, it was very dissapointing, as if the band were just going
              through the motions, like they were reading from a script (cue power tools,
              cue sheet metal). Quite dissapointing.

              Mark Tobin
              News Editor

              Incisive Research, Timothy Benn Publishing, 39 Earlham Street, Covent
              Garden, London, WC2H 9LD

              Direct - 0171 306 7011
              Fax - 0171 306 7112
              E-mail - markt@...

              ----------

            • bb454@xxxxxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 11 , May 11, 1999
                One thing that bothers me about "Ravvivando" (recent Faust album) is
                the recording quality.

                To my mind, there is a slightly over-recorded distortion on the album
                - not enough to sound intentional, just sounds like sloppy
                engineering.

                I know this may fit in with their manifesto, but I find it annoying !

                Cheers,
                Colin

                Colin, Big Block 454, Manchester, England
                The Official Big Block 454 Non-Ironic Web Site
                http://www.bigblock454.mcmail.com
                Raspberry Records
                http://www.raspberryrecords.com
                mp3.com
                http://www.mp3.com/bigblock454
                Email :
                bb454@...
                bb454@...
                bb454@...
              • John Straub
                Message 7 of 11 , May 11, 1999
                  I think I like Ravvivando more than most people who've posted. I also
                  think I rate Faust IV higher than most people who've posted. Their first
                  album is actually one of my least favorites. They hadn't found their own
                  voice yet - they just sound like a Zappa epigone on that one.

                  Anyone ever heard "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot?
                  It's one of my favorite corny AM radio hits from the 70's. I've just been
                  treated to its strains again by "Du weisst schon" on Ravvivando.

                  JDS

                  np: Ravvivando

                  * *
                  * The Kraft-o-Matic Bed o' Nails *
                  * *
                  * A weekly netcast of music programmed to be *
                  * highly adjustable, though not guaranteed to be comfortable. *
                  * *
                  * http://WSUM.wisc.edu *
                  * *
                  * Tuesdays 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM (US Central Time) *
                  * 11:00 PM - 2:00 AM (GMT) *
                  * *
                • Andy Wilson

                    > I think I like Ravvivando more than most people who've posted. I
                    also
                    > think I rate Faust IV higher than most people who've posted.

                    I couldn't agree more. Faust IV is a much underated record -
                    'Jennifer', 'Giggy Smile' and 'Picnic on a Frozen River' are
                    particularly wonderful. Ravvivando is one of the best three or four
                    Faust albums, a real return to form. Certainly there is a slight
                    change of direction (compared to 'you know faUSt'), but the results
                    are excellent: more hypnotic than before.
                    As for the Faust gig at the Garage last year, I thought it was
                    excellent. I really find it hard to understand how Mark Tobin can say
                    the group were just 'going through the motions', though I'd admit that
                    they had yet to find their new 'voice', post-Jean-Herve Peron. The set
                    at the QE Hall a few weeks ago was very different......

                    see: http://andyw.zinc.co.uk/faust for reviews, articles, info and
                    samples of the music...

                    - ------------------------------------
                    Andy Wilson
                    Technical Director
                    ZINC
                    http://andyw.zinc.co.uk/
                    http://www.zinc.co.uk/
                    97 Charlotte Street
                    London W1P 1LB
                    T: 0171 533 0519
                    T: 0171 533 0533
                    M: 0956 902 438
                    F: 0171 533 0534
                    - ------------------------------------

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 12, 1999
                      "As for the Faust gig at the Garage last year, I thought it was
                      excellent. I really find it hard to understand how Mark Tobin can say
                      the group were just 'going through the motions'"

                      I just meant in relation to the gig I'd seen a couple of years earlier in
                      Berlin (which I'd rate as one of the best dozen or so I've ever seen, across
                      the board). The difference between the two was marked. Also it may have had
                      something to do with the fact that I'd been camped out at the Barbican for
                      the month prior to the gig watching Riley, Cage, Zorn, Young et al... I
                      dunno. Just a thought.

                      Mark Tobin
                      News Editor

                      Incisive Research, Timothy Benn Publishing, 39 Earlham Street, Covent
                      Garden, London, WC2H 9LD

                      Direct - 0171 306 7011
                      Fax - 0171 306 7112
                      E-mail - markt@...

                      ----------
                      >From: Andy Wilson <AndyW@...>
                      >To: "'thewire@onelist.com'" <thewire@onelist.com>
                      >Subject: Re: [thewire] Faust
                      >Date: Wed, May 12, 1999, 9:59 am
                      >

                      >As for the Faust gig at the Garage last year, I thought it was
                      >excellent. I really find it hard to understand how Mark Tobin can say
                      >the group were just 'going through the motions'
                    • Big Block 454
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 4, 2000
                        I notice that Faust are playing in Manchester on 28th Oct. Is this a
                        "normal" gig or is it a performance of Nosferatu ?

                        Cheers,
                        Colin

                        Big Block 454, Manchester, England

                        The Official Big Block 454 Non-Ironic Web Site
                        http://www.bigblock454.mcmail.com
                        mp3.com
                        http://www.mp3.com/bigblock454
                        Vitaminic
                        http://stage.vitaminic.co.uk/big_block_454/
                      • Dr Joel Blaiberg
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 5, 2000
                          Colin,

                          According to the latest Klangbad newsletter (see
                          http://195.92.248.101:802/faust/newsletters/aug2000/news.asp) it is titled
                          as 'Faust Wakes Nosferatu'. Still, might be worth me making the arduous
                          journey along the M62 from Leeds for....!