Re: online resources

  • jblaiberg@xxx.xx.xx
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 1998
      Hi!

      The best place to get David Kristian releases is probably Dropbeat Records
      (who I think are in CA, USA). He's had a couple of releases on the label
      and they do a good mail-order service. Check 'em out on www.dropbeat.com

      Joel

      Davis Ford <forddavi@...> on 04/05/98 22:33:11

      Please respond to thewire@onelist.com

      To: thewire@onelist.com
      cc: (bcc: Joel Blaiberg/CNS)
      Subject: [thewire] online resources

      From: Davis Ford <forddavi@...>
      Hey, pretty quiet on this list.
      I've been searching dillegently for some online record stores to buy a
      few things from the Wire. I haven't had alot of luck. I'm looking to
      get that Scott4 project on Satellite Records. I also want to find the
      soundtrack for "Enter The Dragon" by Lalo Schifrin. I'm also looking
      for stuff by David Kristian. Does anyone buy stuff online, and if so,
      where?
      Incidentally, I found a pretty respectable drum & bass store: Breakbeat
      Science in NYC. They have quite a bit of good stuff. You can find 'em
      at:
      http://www.breakbeatscience.com/shop/web_store.cgi
      davis

      Help ONElist keep this service free, while generating interest in your
      product or service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages.
      Visit http://www.onelist.com/advert.html for more information.
    • Davis Ford
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 1998

        > Lowfish/David Kristian split 12" on suction
        > Lowfish/Solvent split 12" on suction

        Yeah, actually I just ordered these two things as well as Cricklewood from
        modermusic.com...actually yesterday right before I posted my message to this
        list. I also blindly ordered some new operation on Warp called "Board of
        Canada"
        I think, which the people that run the website claim was just about the best
        record of 1998 so far. I was impressed with their selection, so I trusted their
        judgement. Anyone know anything about this?

        That beakbeatscience.com site also has a split between Kristian and Squarepusher
        that looked good. Anybody heard this?

        Hey, how's the new issue? I finally subscribed, instead of buying it off the
        stand. This will be my first issue for the subscription (w/Sonic Youth)...does
        anybody in the States subscribe, and if so..how long is the lag. I've heard bad
        things about this...like the magazine comes a month+ late.

        Thanks to everyone else for the record store suggestions

        davis
      • John Gibson
        Message 3 of 9 , May 5, 1998
          > Hey, how's the new issue? I finally subscribed, instead of buying it off the
          > stand. This will be my first issue for the subscription (w/Sonic
          Youth)...does
          > anybody in the States subscribe, and if so..how long is the lag. I've heard
          bad
          > things about this...like the magazine comes a month+ late.
          >
          > Thanks to everyone else for the record store suggestions
          >
          > davis

          Hi Davis, I'd like to tell you what the new issue's like and it was
          due out on April 28th here but I can't find the bastard anywhere in
          Newcastle!

          Distribution going down the pan?

          JOHN

          > Help ONElist keep this service free, while generating interest in your
          > product or service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages.
          > Visit http://www.onelist.com/advert.html for more information.

        • Steve81778
          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 1998
            BoC had a 12" on skam last year (skam is run by an (now ex?) friend of
            Autechre named andy maddocks. skam has releases by BoC, Jega, Gescom, Bola,
            Freeform and Lego Feet...all limited releases and all that...

            BoC have now become the next big thing, which I don't really
            understand...don't get me wrong, they're damn good (I have their album and
            skam 12" plus a cd-r of their first (rare as fuck) 12") but I just don't get
            the hype...really mellow melodies with hip hop beats, and on the skam 12", a
            tad bit of electro...(don't get me wrong though, this isn't "trip-hop"
            bullshit)

            PJ from modern music is all over BoC...

            for the next big thing though, I'm banking on Jega...he has a 12" and CD/LP
            coming out soon on planet U (mike paradinas' label, aka mu-Ziq)

            he has 2 12"s out on skam...his stuff is pretty inconsistent right now, but
            check out his tracks on the mealtime and 0161 comps (and I think he did the
            "funny" hidden track on the skampler disc as well as the hidden track on the
            0161 comp...)

            later
            steve

            ps-please any this heat fans help me track down the 'canterbury dream' label
            bootlegs

          • dgromfin@xxxxxxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 9 , May 5, 1998
              I've been a US subscriber for a few years and while the service in the past has
              been spotty, now the mag comes to me in the month before the issue date (like
              most
              other subscription mags). So I rec'd the May about 7-10 days ago.

              If you ever have problems with your sub, just email Ben House (his address is
              in
              the mag). He's really great and has solved problems for me in the past.

              Danny

              P.S. Anybody know where I can obtain a copy of the last Robert Wyatt CD
              "Shleep".
              Thanks.

              John Gibson wrote:

              > From: "John Gibson" <W.J.Gibson@...>
              >
              > > Hey, how's the new issue? I finally subscribed, instead of buying it off
              the
              > > stand. This will be my first issue for the subscription (w/Sonic
              > Youth)...does
              > > anybody in the States subscribe, and if so..how long is the lag. I've heard
              > bad
              > > things about this...like the magazine comes a month+ late.
              > >
              > > Thanks to everyone else for the record store suggestions
              > >
              > > davis
              > >

              > Hi Davis, I'd like to tell you what the new issue's like and it was
              > due out on April 28th here but I can't find the bastard anywhere in
              > Newcastle!
              >
              > Distribution going down the pan?
              >
              > JOHN

              > > Help ONElist keep this service free, while generating interest in your
              > > product or service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages.
              > > Visit http://www.onelist.com/advert.html for more information.

              > Help ONElist keep this service free, while generating interest in your
              > product or service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages.
              > Visit http://www.onelist.com/advert.html for more information.
            • Andrew Grant
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 1998
                >P.S. Anybody know where I can obtain a copy of the last Robert Wyatt CD
                >"Shleep".
                >Thanks.

                Try any of the major online CD stores -- I bought mine from CDNOW (it was
                only $10.99.)