Re: online resources

  • Andrew Grant
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 1998
      Have you tried Aquarius records in San Francisco? They are at
      http://aquarius.bianca.com/

      In the NYC area, most Wire titles can be found at Other Music, on 4th St,
      near Tower Records. They have been promising to go on-line for some time
      now, but nothing as of yet. The people at Aquarius seem to have a problem
      with Other Music -- they often make jabs at them on their website. I don't
      know why. Having been to both stores, I would have to say that Other Music
      is a far superior store. Very, very, cool people and no attitude. (Can't
      say the same for Aquarius.)

      However, Aquarius does have on-line ordering, though it is a bit antiquated!

      Recent purchases:
      Hikuioto - limited edition CD (500) of German/Japanese group (abstract
      techno? Like Panasonic, but you can dance to it? Not sure yet...)

      The Mood Mosaic vol. 3 -- 'The Sexploitation' (Loungecore stuff. Tres,
      tres cool.)

      The Mood Mosaic vol. 6 -- Jazz a go go (Cool compilation with very
      interesting lineup, including France Gall, Cal Tjader, Flora Purim, Carla
      Bley

      Brigitte Fontaine/Jacques Higelin -- 20 chansons d'avant le deluge (French
      chantuese and chanteur.)

      Listening to at the moment: Simon Fisher Turner -- Shwarma
    • jblaiberg@xxx.xx.xx
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 1998
        Hi!

        The best place to get David Kristian releases is probably Dropbeat Records
        (who I think are in CA, USA). He's had a couple of releases on the label
        and they do a good mail-order service. Check 'em out on www.dropbeat.com

        Joel

        Davis Ford <forddavi@...> on 04/05/98 22:33:11

        Please respond to thewire@onelist.com

        To: thewire@onelist.com
        cc: (bcc: Joel Blaiberg/CNS)
        Subject: [thewire] online resources

        From: Davis Ford <forddavi@...>
        Hey, pretty quiet on this list.
        I've been searching dillegently for some online record stores to buy a
        few things from the Wire. I haven't had alot of luck. I'm looking to
        get that Scott4 project on Satellite Records. I also want to find the
        soundtrack for "Enter The Dragon" by Lalo Schifrin. I'm also looking
        for stuff by David Kristian. Does anyone buy stuff online, and if so,
        where?
        Incidentally, I found a pretty respectable drum & bass store: Breakbeat
        Science in NYC. They have quite a bit of good stuff. You can find 'em
        at:
        http://www.breakbeatscience.com/shop/web_store.cgi
        davis

        Help ONElist keep this service free, while generating interest in your
        product or service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages.
        Visit http://www.onelist.com/advert.html for more information.
      • Davis Ford
        Message 3 of 9 , May 5, 1998

          > Lowfish/David Kristian split 12" on suction
          > Lowfish/Solvent split 12" on suction

          Yeah, actually I just ordered these two things as well as Cricklewood from
          modermusic.com...actually yesterday right before I posted my message to this
          list. I also blindly ordered some new operation on Warp called "Board of
          Canada"
          I think, which the people that run the website claim was just about the best
          record of 1998 so far. I was impressed with their selection, so I trusted their
          judgement. Anyone know anything about this?

          That beakbeatscience.com site also has a split between Kristian and Squarepusher
          that looked good. Anybody heard this?

          Hey, how's the new issue? I finally subscribed, instead of buying it off the
          stand. This will be my first issue for the subscription (w/Sonic Youth)...does
          anybody in the States subscribe, and if so..how long is the lag. I've heard bad
          things about this...like the magazine comes a month+ late.

          Thanks to everyone else for the record store suggestions

          davis
        • John Gibson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 1998
            > Hey, how's the new issue? I finally subscribed, instead of buying it off the
            > stand. This will be my first issue for the subscription (w/Sonic
            Youth)...does
            > anybody in the States subscribe, and if so..how long is the lag. I've heard
            bad
            > things about this...like the magazine comes a month+ late.
            >
            > Thanks to everyone else for the record store suggestions
            >
            > davis

            Hi Davis, I'd like to tell you what the new issue's like and it was
            due out on April 28th here but I can't find the bastard anywhere in
            Newcastle!

            Distribution going down the pan?

            JOHN

            > Help ONElist keep this service free, while generating interest in your
            > product or service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages.
            > Visit http://www.onelist.com/advert.html for more information.

          • Steve81778
            Message 5 of 9 , May 5, 1998
              BoC had a 12" on skam last year (skam is run by an (now ex?) friend of
              Autechre named andy maddocks. skam has releases by BoC, Jega, Gescom, Bola,
              Freeform and Lego Feet...all limited releases and all that...

              BoC have now become the next big thing, which I don't really
              understand...don't get me wrong, they're damn good (I have their album and
              skam 12" plus a cd-r of their first (rare as fuck) 12") but I just don't get
              the hype...really mellow melodies with hip hop beats, and on the skam 12", a
              tad bit of electro...(don't get me wrong though, this isn't "trip-hop"
              bullshit)

              PJ from modern music is all over BoC...

              for the next big thing though, I'm banking on Jega...he has a 12" and CD/LP
              coming out soon on planet U (mike paradinas' label, aka mu-Ziq)

              he has 2 12"s out on skam...his stuff is pretty inconsistent right now, but
              check out his tracks on the mealtime and 0161 comps (and I think he did the
              "funny" hidden track on the skampler disc as well as the hidden track on the
              0161 comp...)

              later
              steve

              ps-please any this heat fans help me track down the 'canterbury dream' label
              bootlegs

            • dgromfin@xxxxxxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 1998
                I've been a US subscriber for a few years and while the service in the past has
                been spotty, now the mag comes to me in the month before the issue date (like
                most
                other subscription mags). So I rec'd the May about 7-10 days ago.

                If you ever have problems with your sub, just email Ben House (his address is
                in
                the mag). He's really great and has solved problems for me in the past.

                Danny

                P.S. Anybody know where I can obtain a copy of the last Robert Wyatt CD
                "Shleep".
                Thanks.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 5, 1998
                  >P.S. Anybody know where I can obtain a copy of the last Robert Wyatt CD
                  >"Shleep".
                  >Thanks.

                  Try any of the major online CD stores -- I bought mine from CDNOW (it was
                  only $10.99.)