Re: online resources

  • Steve81778
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4 4:56 PM
      well, you might pay an arm and a leg, but modern music will support all of
      your electronic music needs...www.modernmusic.com, join their mailing list,
      because people snatch stuff quickly...

      as for scott 4, I have a 7" by them I'd be willing to sell or trade...it's the
      deutsche lp record 7" on satellite (just tell me if you're interested)

      modern music will have the kristian stuff you want...do yourself a favor and
      buy these two 12"s (about 7 apiece):

      Lowfish/David Kristian split 12" on suction
      Lowfish/Solvent split 12" on suction

      really good dirty electronic music (though the kristian stands out as being
      much more clean and melodic)

      recent purchases:
      Sonic Youth - Screaming Fields of Sonic Love
      AC/DC - Back in Black (fuck off if you don't love them)
      V/A - Artificial Intelligence (finally got it! found it used and couldn't
      resist it this time...)

      this summer is gonna be great...live - Tortoise twice in may (philly and dc),
      with Oval!, Trans Am, bjork / mu-Ziq (I won guest passes!), sonic youth w/ Tom
      Verlaine opening up, getting to see the Schematic label live in baltimore,
      Kraftwerk, recorded - WAP100 (hopefully the Tom and Rich track won't be
      stupid), new Autechre, new Schematic records, Mu-Ziq EP, new Sonic Youth, me
      leaving this shitty school I attend, me and my friend getting out shit
      together, and getting signed to Schematic or Sunction :)

      allright, lastly, are there any This Heat fans on this list, if so, I need
      some help...I'm desperately looking for a copy of the Health & Efficiency 12"
      or a cd bootleg with those tracks on it...I'm also looking for the cd-reissue
      of the Tago Mago cassette (no, I'm not confusing it with the can album) that
      was re-released on the label Canterbury Tales

      thanks and bye,
      steve

      << From: Davis Ford <forddavi@...>

      Hey, pretty quiet on this list.

      I've been searching dillegently for some online record stores to buy a
      few things from the Wire. I haven't had alot of luck. I'm looking to
      get that Scott4 project on Satellite Records. I also want to find the
      soundtrack for "Enter The Dragon" by Lalo Schifrin. I'm also looking
      for stuff by David Kristian. Does anyone buy stuff online, and if so,
      where? >>
    • Andrew Grant
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4 6:24 PM
        Have you tried Aquarius records in San Francisco? They are at
        http://aquarius.bianca.com/

        In the NYC area, most Wire titles can be found at Other Music, on 4th St,
        near Tower Records. They have been promising to go on-line for some time
        now, but nothing as of yet. The people at Aquarius seem to have a problem
        with Other Music -- they often make jabs at them on their website. I don't
        know why. Having been to both stores, I would have to say that Other Music
        is a far superior store. Very, very, cool people and no attitude. (Can't
        say the same for Aquarius.)

        However, Aquarius does have on-line ordering, though it is a bit antiquated!

        Recent purchases:
        Hikuioto - limited edition CD (500) of German/Japanese group (abstract
        techno? Like Panasonic, but you can dance to it? Not sure yet...)

        The Mood Mosaic vol. 3 -- 'The Sexploitation' (Loungecore stuff. Tres,
        tres cool.)

        The Mood Mosaic vol. 6 -- Jazz a go go (Cool compilation with very
        interesting lineup, including France Gall, Cal Tjader, Flora Purim, Carla
        Bley

        Brigitte Fontaine/Jacques Higelin -- 20 chansons d'avant le deluge (French
        chantuese and chanteur.)

        Listening to at the moment: Simon Fisher Turner -- Shwarma
      • jblaiberg@xxx.xx.xx
        Message 3 of 9 , May 5 2:14 AM
          Hi!

          The best place to get David Kristian releases is probably Dropbeat Records
          (who I think are in CA, USA). He's had a couple of releases on the label
          and they do a good mail-order service. Check 'em out on www.dropbeat.com

          Joel

          Davis Ford <forddavi@...> on 04/05/98 22:33:11

          Please respond to thewire@onelist.com

          To: thewire@onelist.com
          cc: (bcc: Joel Blaiberg/CNS)
          Subject: [thewire] online resources

          From: Davis Ford <forddavi@...>
          Hey, pretty quiet on this list.
          I've been searching dillegently for some online record stores to buy a
          few things from the Wire. I haven't had alot of luck. I'm looking to
          get that Scott4 project on Satellite Records. I also want to find the
          soundtrack for "Enter The Dragon" by Lalo Schifrin. I'm also looking
          for stuff by David Kristian. Does anyone buy stuff online, and if so,
          where?
          Incidentally, I found a pretty respectable drum & bass store: Breakbeat
          Science in NYC. They have quite a bit of good stuff. You can find 'em
          at:
          http://www.breakbeatscience.com/shop/web_store.cgi
          davis

          Help ONElist keep this service free, while generating interest in your
          product or service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages.
          Visit http://www.onelist.com/advert.html for more information.
        • Davis Ford
          Message 4 of 9 , May 5 7:07 AM

            > Lowfish/David Kristian split 12" on suction
            > Lowfish/Solvent split 12" on suction

            Yeah, actually I just ordered these two things as well as Cricklewood from
            modermusic.com...actually yesterday right before I posted my message to this
            list. I also blindly ordered some new operation on Warp called "Board of
            Canada"
            I think, which the people that run the website claim was just about the best
            record of 1998 so far. I was impressed with their selection, so I trusted their
            judgement. Anyone know anything about this?

            That beakbeatscience.com site also has a split between Kristian and Squarepusher
            that looked good. Anybody heard this?

            Hey, how's the new issue? I finally subscribed, instead of buying it off the
            stand. This will be my first issue for the subscription (w/Sonic Youth)...does
            anybody in the States subscribe, and if so..how long is the lag. I've heard bad
            things about this...like the magazine comes a month+ late.

            Thanks to everyone else for the record store suggestions

            davis
          • John Gibson
            Message 5 of 9 , May 5 8:22 AM
              > Hey, how's the new issue? I finally subscribed, instead of buying it off the
              > stand. This will be my first issue for the subscription (w/Sonic
              Youth)...does
              > anybody in the States subscribe, and if so..how long is the lag. I've heard
              bad
              > things about this...like the magazine comes a month+ late.
              >
              > Thanks to everyone else for the record store suggestions
              >
              > davis

              Hi Davis, I'd like to tell you what the new issue's like and it was
              due out on April 28th here but I can't find the bastard anywhere in
              Newcastle!

              Distribution going down the pan?

              JOHN

              Message 6 of 9 , May 5 11:28 AM
                BoC had a 12" on skam last year (skam is run by an (now ex?) friend of
                Autechre named andy maddocks. skam has releases by BoC, Jega, Gescom, Bola,
                Freeform and Lego Feet...all limited releases and all that...

                BoC have now become the next big thing, which I don't really
                understand...don't get me wrong, they're damn good (I have their album and
                skam 12" plus a cd-r of their first (rare as fuck) 12") but I just don't get
                the hype...really mellow melodies with hip hop beats, and on the skam 12", a
                tad bit of electro...(don't get me wrong though, this isn't "trip-hop"
                bullshit)

                PJ from modern music is all over BoC...

                for the next big thing though, I'm banking on Jega...he has a 12" and CD/LP
                coming out soon on planet U (mike paradinas' label, aka mu-Ziq)

                he has 2 12"s out on skam...his stuff is pretty inconsistent right now, but
                check out his tracks on the mealtime and 0161 comps (and I think he did the
                "funny" hidden track on the skampler disc as well as the hidden track on the
                0161 comp...)

                later
                steve

                ps-please any this heat fans help me track down the 'canterbury dream' label
                bootlegs

              • dgromfin@xxxxxxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 9 , May 5 11:50 AM
                  I've been a US subscriber for a few years and while the service in the past has
                  been spotty, now the mag comes to me in the month before the issue date (like
                  most
                  other subscription mags). So I rec'd the May about 7-10 days ago.

                  If you ever have problems with your sub, just email Ben House (his address is
                  in
                  the mag). He's really great and has solved problems for me in the past.

                  Danny

                  P.S. Anybody know where I can obtain a copy of the last Robert Wyatt CD
                  "Shleep".
                  Thanks.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 5 6:47 PM
                    >P.S. Anybody know where I can obtain a copy of the last Robert Wyatt CD
                    >"Shleep".
                    >Thanks.

                    Try any of the major online CD stores -- I bought mine from CDNOW (it was
                    only $10.99.)