online resources

  • Davis Ford
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 1998
      Hey, pretty quiet on this list.

      I've been searching dillegently for some online record stores to buy a
      few things from the Wire. I haven't had alot of luck. I'm looking to
      get that Scott4 project on Satellite Records. I also want to find the
      soundtrack for "Enter The Dragon" by Lalo Schifrin. I'm also looking
      for stuff by David Kristian. Does anyone buy stuff online, and if so,
      where?

      Incidentally, I found a pretty respectable drum & bass store: Breakbeat
      Science in NYC. They have quite a bit of good stuff. You can find 'em
      at:

      http://www.breakbeatscience.com/shop/web_store.cgi

      davis
    • Steve81778
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 1998
        well, you might pay an arm and a leg, but modern music will support all of
        your electronic music needs...www.modernmusic.com, join their mailing list,
        because people snatch stuff quickly...

        as for scott 4, I have a 7" by them I'd be willing to sell or trade...it's the
        deutsche lp record 7" on satellite (just tell me if you're interested)

        modern music will have the kristian stuff you want...do yourself a favor and
        buy these two 12"s (about 7 apiece):

        Lowfish/David Kristian split 12" on suction
        Lowfish/Solvent split 12" on suction

        really good dirty electronic music (though the kristian stands out as being
        much more clean and melodic)

        recent purchases:
        Sonic Youth - Screaming Fields of Sonic Love
        AC/DC - Back in Black (fuck off if you don't love them)
        V/A - Artificial Intelligence (finally got it! found it used and couldn't
        resist it this time...)

        this summer is gonna be great...live - Tortoise twice in may (philly and dc),
        with Oval!, Trans Am, bjork / mu-Ziq (I won guest passes!), sonic youth w/ Tom
        Verlaine opening up, getting to see the Schematic label live in baltimore,
        Kraftwerk, recorded - WAP100 (hopefully the Tom and Rich track won't be
        stupid), new Autechre, new Schematic records, Mu-Ziq EP, new Sonic Youth, me
        leaving this shitty school I attend, me and my friend getting out shit
        together, and getting signed to Schematic or Sunction :)

        allright, lastly, are there any This Heat fans on this list, if so, I need
        some help...I'm desperately looking for a copy of the Health & Efficiency 12"
        or a cd bootleg with those tracks on it...I'm also looking for the cd-reissue
        of the Tago Mago cassette (no, I'm not confusing it with the can album) that
        was re-released on the label Canterbury Tales

        thanks and bye,
        steve

        << From: Davis Ford <forddavi@...>

        Hey, pretty quiet on this list.

        I've been searching dillegently for some online record stores to buy a
        few things from the Wire. I haven't had alot of luck. I'm looking to
        get that Scott4 project on Satellite Records. I also want to find the
        soundtrack for "Enter The Dragon" by Lalo Schifrin. I'm also looking
        for stuff by David Kristian. Does anyone buy stuff online, and if so,
        where? >>
      • Andrew Grant
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 1998
          Have you tried Aquarius records in San Francisco? They are at
          http://aquarius.bianca.com/

          In the NYC area, most Wire titles can be found at Other Music, on 4th St,
          near Tower Records. They have been promising to go on-line for some time
          now, but nothing as of yet. The people at Aquarius seem to have a problem
          with Other Music -- they often make jabs at them on their website. I don't
          know why. Having been to both stores, I would have to say that Other Music
          is a far superior store. Very, very, cool people and no attitude. (Can't
          say the same for Aquarius.)

          However, Aquarius does have on-line ordering, though it is a bit antiquated!

          Recent purchases:
          Hikuioto - limited edition CD (500) of German/Japanese group (abstract
          techno? Like Panasonic, but you can dance to it? Not sure yet...)

          The Mood Mosaic vol. 3 -- 'The Sexploitation' (Loungecore stuff. Tres,
          tres cool.)

          The Mood Mosaic vol. 6 -- Jazz a go go (Cool compilation with very
          interesting lineup, including France Gall, Cal Tjader, Flora Purim, Carla
          Bley

          Brigitte Fontaine/Jacques Higelin -- 20 chansons d'avant le deluge (French
          chantuese and chanteur.)

          Listening to at the moment: Simon Fisher Turner -- Shwarma
        • jblaiberg@xxx.xx.xx
          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 1998
            Hi!

            The best place to get David Kristian releases is probably Dropbeat Records
            (who I think are in CA, USA). He's had a couple of releases on the label
            and they do a good mail-order service. Check 'em out on www.dropbeat.com

            Joel

            Davis Ford <forddavi@...> on 04/05/98 22:33:11

            Please respond to thewire@onelist.com

            To: thewire@onelist.com
            cc: (bcc: Joel Blaiberg/CNS)
            Subject: [thewire] online resources

            From: Davis Ford <forddavi@...>
            Hey, pretty quiet on this list.
            I've been searching dillegently for some online record stores to buy a
            few things from the Wire. I haven't had alot of luck. I'm looking to
            get that Scott4 project on Satellite Records. I also want to find the
            soundtrack for "Enter The Dragon" by Lalo Schifrin. I'm also looking
            for stuff by David Kristian. Does anyone buy stuff online, and if so,
            where?
            Incidentally, I found a pretty respectable drum & bass store: Breakbeat
            Science in NYC. They have quite a bit of good stuff. You can find 'em
            at:
            http://www.breakbeatscience.com/shop/web_store.cgi
            davis

            Help ONElist keep this service free, while generating interest in your
            product or service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages.
            Visit http://www.onelist.com/advert.html for more information.
          • Davis Ford
            Message 5 of 9 , May 5, 1998

              > Lowfish/David Kristian split 12" on suction
              > Lowfish/Solvent split 12" on suction

              Yeah, actually I just ordered these two things as well as Cricklewood from
              modermusic.com...actually yesterday right before I posted my message to this
              list. I also blindly ordered some new operation on Warp called "Board of
              Canada"
              I think, which the people that run the website claim was just about the best
              record of 1998 so far. I was impressed with their selection, so I trusted their
              judgement. Anyone know anything about this?

              That beakbeatscience.com site also has a split between Kristian and Squarepusher
              that looked good. Anybody heard this?

              Hey, how's the new issue? I finally subscribed, instead of buying it off the
              stand. This will be my first issue for the subscription (w/Sonic Youth)...does
              anybody in the States subscribe, and if so..how long is the lag. I've heard bad
              things about this...like the magazine comes a month+ late.

              Thanks to everyone else for the record store suggestions

              davis
            • John Gibson
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 1998
                > Hey, how's the new issue? I finally subscribed, instead of buying it off the
                > stand. This will be my first issue for the subscription (w/Sonic
                Youth)...does
                > anybody in the States subscribe, and if so..how long is the lag. I've heard
                bad
                > things about this...like the magazine comes a month+ late.
                >
                > Thanks to everyone else for the record store suggestions
                >
                > davis

                Hi Davis, I'd like to tell you what the new issue's like and it was
                due out on April 28th here but I can't find the bastard anywhere in
                Newcastle!

                Distribution going down the pan?

                JOHN

                Message 7 of 9 , May 5, 1998
                  BoC had a 12" on skam last year (skam is run by an (now ex?) friend of
                  Autechre named andy maddocks. skam has releases by BoC, Jega, Gescom, Bola,
                  Freeform and Lego Feet...all limited releases and all that...

                  BoC have now become the next big thing, which I don't really
                  understand...don't get me wrong, they're damn good (I have their album and
                  skam 12" plus a cd-r of their first (rare as fuck) 12") but I just don't get
                  the hype...really mellow melodies with hip hop beats, and on the skam 12", a
                  tad bit of electro...(don't get me wrong though, this isn't "trip-hop"
                  bullshit)

                  PJ from modern music is all over BoC...

                  for the next big thing though, I'm banking on Jega...he has a 12" and CD/LP
                  coming out soon on planet U (mike paradinas' label, aka mu-Ziq)

                  he has 2 12"s out on skam...his stuff is pretty inconsistent right now, but
                  check out his tracks on the mealtime and 0161 comps (and I think he did the
                  "funny" hidden track on the skampler disc as well as the hidden track on the
                  0161 comp...)

                  later
                  steve

                  ps-please any this heat fans help me track down the 'canterbury dream' label
                  bootlegs

                • dgromfin@xxxxxxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 5, 1998
                    I've been a US subscriber for a few years and while the service in the past has
                    been spotty, now the mag comes to me in the month before the issue date (like
                    most
                    other subscription mags). So I rec'd the May about 7-10 days ago.

                    If you ever have problems with your sub, just email Ben House (his address is
                    in
                    the mag). He's really great and has solved problems for me in the past.

                    Danny

                    P.S. Anybody know where I can obtain a copy of the last Robert Wyatt CD
                    "Shleep".
                    Thanks.

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 5, 1998
                      >P.S. Anybody know where I can obtain a copy of the last Robert Wyatt CD
                      >"Shleep".
                      >Thanks.

                      Try any of the major online CD stores -- I bought mine from CDNOW (it was
                      only $10.99.)