Kodwo Eshun's New Book, and other stuff...

  • Tom Ewing
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 1998
      Had a chat with Wire writer Kodwo Eshun the other day, very entertaining
      and he showed us his new book, 'More Brilliant Than The Sun', which is
      out from Quartet on May 26, �10 in a nicely and trendily designed
      paperback. He's one of my favourite writers, and his book - tracing that
      strain of pop which has picked up from somewhere the name 'afro-futurism'
      - looks like compelling and funny stuff. Full review to follow when I
      get a copy, but it's something worth supporting.

      There's a crass thread idea - favourite Wire writers :)

      Other stuff - somebody asked about the new Massive Attack album. Well,
      it's OK, very good in places and very weak in others. Like most of the
      big, critical-consensus classics of recent times, it does sound
      deceptively interesting on the first couple of listens. My advice? Buy
      the current single, one of the high points, tape the Horace Andy tracks
      and borrow the rest.

      Phill Niblock - *one* piece by him (Held Tones, on the Blast First
      sampler from a couple of years back) - netted a record number of
      customer grumbles and complaints, beating out our previous record holder,
      Steve Reich's "Come Out". More Niblock stuff is plainly needed, and
      because it's very good to boot, but it seems extremely difficult to find
      anything. Does anyone know what's in print?

      Cheers,
      Tom.