Re: Can Boxed Set

  • philT
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 1999
      bb454@... wrote:

      > Ok, tell me - is the Can boxed set worth buying ?

      Wellllll, it depends upon the urgency you feel when you hear mention of the
      band's name. I bought it just because I've always like them so much.
      However, I was well prepared for the worst after reading the less than
      glowing review of the book in The Wire (and the more slightly glowing review
      in Mojo). In any case, I've had it for a while now and here's what I think :

      Book - a hassle to read but about 3/4 of it is informative and interesting :
      mainly the interviews with the main 4 members (+ manager Hildegarde)

      Video - the documentary section is, basically, the good parts of the book +
      great live clips from various TV performances. the Free Concert section is
      just fantastic : for both sets of live images alone - compulsory ownership
      is required

      CD - i'm a bit dissapointed with the Damo stuff : he seems to have kept the
      melodic elements of his singing solely for the studio and the jams really
      need some good hands-on editing by Holger. on the other hand, I was
      surprised how much I like the later material : "Fizz" is just lovely
      although I could have done without hearing "The Cascade Waltz" ever again.
      overall, well worth having if you're a fan or even if you like them more
      than a bit but otherwise - stick to the studio releases.

      --
      <philT>
      "Gone into hiding, can't abide the latest tidings from the tribe.