Anarcho-noise annoys.....

  • John Everall
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 1999
      philip rhoads wrote:

      > From: "philip rhoads" <philip@...>
      >
      > I listened to 'Hear nothing....' and 'why' (especially my favourite 'aint no
      > feeble bastard') this morning as I was in that kind of mood and, yeah, they
      > are great. Peni were certainly brilliant, tho' I lost touch after the
      > majestic 'cacophony'. Have you heard the two albums since? Are they worth
      > investigating? I have been looking for Blinkos' book ever since I heard the
      > selections for this years' booker prize and they mentioned the similar
      > sounding Nicholas Blincoe. Naturally, I did a huge double take and was
      > severely disappointed to find that it wasn't the same Nick.

      "Ain't No Feeble Bastard" has such a killer bassline - I love that record.
      The later Peni stuff doesn't come up to scratch & Blinko's vocals no longer have that edge. I
      know Nick was in a mental hospital for quite some time (diagnosed schizophrenic, AFAIK - he
      believed he was Pope Adrian The Sixth! - I suppose he should have got a card from Robert Anton
      Wilson like I did). He seems to be making quite a name for himself as an *Outsider Artist* (stay
      away Jarvis Cocker!) & is represented by Henry Boxer, who also deals with Grosz's work: always
      considered Blinko's work to be similar to in spirit to the daDa pugilist's. Blinko also did the
      artwork for Coil's "Unnatural History III".

      > I bought the Penny Rimbaud the other day which is an excellent little read,
      > didn't tell me much that I didn't already know but gave me some interesting
      > insights into the reality inside of crass (sample quote "this girl was
      > asking about my drumming, I was staring at her mates' tits" - who'd have
      > thought that any of the feminist men in crass would do anything so terribly
      > sexist!!!?!?!?!?) as well as more insights to the scary truth about Wally
      > Hope. Worth investigating.

      I don't think Crass were as po-faced or humourless as a large proportion of their audience. I
      recall somebody being attacked for eating a packet of Walker's Beef & Onion crisps! The irony is
      that they are actually vegan! I liked Penny's story about a young punk singing "So What?" to a
      vicar on York railway station & receiving a jail sentence. Them were the days, lad! I was looking
      at indie charts in NME, etc in the early eighties. Crass, TG, Cabs, Dead Kennedys, etc. What went
      wrong?

      The Wire are going to let me review the book. For a slightly critical view of Penny's take on the
      Wally Hope affair, see Nigel Ayers' "Where's Wally?" which can be found at his web site.

      > Incidentally, what about Hit Parade? The only sighting of total electronica
      > in the crass stable, years ahead of their time with samples and remixing.
      > And D n V? More samples (on the album) and an interesting concept using just
      > drums and vocals - their 'Snare' 12" was brilliant, especially 'please, when
      > im dead'.

      D & V were excellent. Annie Anxiety's "Barbed Wire Halo" was wonderful also (shameless plug time:
      there will be an album released in the not-too-distant future by Alogon - a project involving
      myself & Teresa Mills of Tactile, Jim Plotkin, Annie Bandez-Anxiety, Karl Blake. This was
      recorded in New York a couple of years ago. Would have been released earlier, but Plotkin stole
      the masters!).

      > The idea of wire being
      > interested............................................nah!

      Me & Joe Banks are going to do a major retrospective on Crass. We are discussing this with a
      number of publications. Hopefully somebody will bite & Penny is keen on the idea....

      Tactile have also remixed "Reality Asylum" - I am hoping that Penny will let me release this (an
      anti-millenium single, perhaps?)

      New Tactile CD "Borderlands" is released next week. Limited to 500 copies (131 with an exclusive
      and original drawing by Teresa Mills). John Balance was the guest vocalist on this release. For
      more info see Sentrax site (URL below)

      John Everall (Pope Several I of the P.O.E.E.)

      http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~john.sentrax/

      (there are a number of Little Annie's paintings on my site)
    • philip rhoads
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 1999
        Aaah those good ole days when going to a crass gig was like a scene from the
        life of Brian ("fuck off, I'm not the messiah" "But how shall we fuck off oh
        great one?"). I'm glad to say that I was never one of those humourless
        po-faced bastards, although the political angle influenced me hugely and
        continues to do so to this day. crass and their contemporaries taught me a
        hell of a lot more than anyone else in those days. The remix of reality
        asylum sounds great, I'm sure Penny will be kind to you regarding its
        release. My fave part of the book is the story of Eve or Joy going to a
        feminist meeting....

        I also have been looking at early 80s indie charts lately (im moving house
        and so my loft has had to be cleared out) and it's true how exciting they
        used to be - and so independent!

        Was never a big fan of 'barbed why halo', though I've used the looped scream
        at the end in a couple of music pieces over the years.

        Good luck with the retrospective, it has long been a wish of mine to publish
        a book dedicated to those musicians/artists whose whole aesthetic was
        motivated by political theory, and not by music - one day I'll do it but
        it's hard finding the time whilst freelancing.

        See you later...

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 1999
          Andy Wilson wrote:

          > From: Andy Wilson <AndyW@...>

          > philip rhoads wrote:
          >
          > > it has long been a wish of
          > > mine to publish
          > > a book dedicated to those musicians/artists whose whole aesthetic
          > was
          > > motivated by political theory, and not by music
          >
          > i think i know what you mean, yet i wonder how easy it would be to
          > draw the line. i've just finished reading eddie prevosts book 'No
          > SOund is Innocent' and i'm not sure anyone could determine how much
          > AMM were driven by aesthetic concerns and how by the political because
          > - - in their case, and from a certain point of view, in everyone's case
          > - - these may be the same things ... ?

          As much as I appreciate AMM & Cardew's subsequent ideological efforts, the fact that they,
          like Chris Cutler, et al, were doomed to appeal to a cloistered elite (University Maoist
          discussion groups, etc) was an inevitable consequence of their modus operandi (alright, I
          know they supported The Who once, but that was an aberration). Crass, by sharp contrast,
          directly affected the lives of numerous *ordinary* people (apologies for using that term). I
          knew ex-Skins, ex-football hooligans, etc who were profoundly affected by Crass. And you
          don't see many of them at an AMM concert (myself excluded).

          John.
        • Andy Wilson

            philip rhoads wrote:

            > it has long been a wish of
            > mine to publish
            > a book dedicated to those musicians/artists whose whole aesthetic
            was
            > motivated by political theory, and not by music

            i think i know what you mean, yet i wonder how easy it would be to
            draw the line. i've just finished reading eddie prevosts book 'No
            SOund is Innocent' and i'm not sure anyone could determine how much
            AMM were driven by aesthetic concerns and how by the political because
            - - in their case, and from a certain point of view, in everyone's case
            - - these may be the same things ... ?

            of course, if you meant 'musicians who care about politics but not
            music' then you may have defined the crass 'aesthetic' as well as
            describing a way to carve out an audience for yourself as a musician
            without having to do the difficult bit of thinking about your own
            music *as music* and it's relationship to politics.....

            - ------------------------------------
            Andy Wilson
            Technical Director
            ZINC
            http://andyw.zinc.co.uk/
            http://www.zinc.co.uk/
            97 Charlotte Street
            London´┐Ż W1P 1LB
            T: 0171 533 0519
            T: 0171 533 0533
            M: 0956 902 438
            F: 0171 533 0534

            http://www.msu.edu/user/forddavi/wirelist.html

            Have you visited our new web site?
            http://www.onelist.com
            Onelist: Helping to create Internet communities