Re: Fat Boy & House

  • Randy Gelling
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 29, 1999
      Without going off on an endless, hopeless argument here, I have to say
      that the Housemartins and Fat Boy Slim are simply banal, whoever wrote the
      original posting was exaggerating, but you know very well that he was and
      used this opportunity to show how "populist" and progressive you are
      because you can admit to liking "pop" music. This is the kind of tired
      posturing that stains most of the British (and American) music press. The
      constant calls of "snob" are really just a way to shut up someone who
      questions popular culture. BTW I personally love the pop of Brian Wilson,
      Randy Newman, Phil Spector, etc. The question isn't if it is pop or not;
      but whether it is good or bad.

      Just out of curiosity: Apart from the blatantly obvious holier-than-thou
      > "I'm so cool and sophisticated and wouldn't be caught dead listening to
      pop
      > music" attitude, what exactly was so terribly wrong with the
      Housemartins?
      > No, I'm not saying they were that great - but CRIMES? Are some people so
      up
      > their own avant-garde arses that the concept of music as sheer
      entertainment
      > is inconceivable?
      > (I have a feeling I'm going to regret posting this...)
      >
      > Per-Christian
    • Jason Witherspoon
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 29, 1999
        At 4:47 PM -0800 3/29/99, Randy Gelling wrote:
        > This is the kind of tired
        > posturing that stains most of the British (and American) music press.

        Did you ever consider that maybe, just maybe, the person claiming
        they enjoy said music actually enjoy it?

        > The
        > constant calls of "snob" are really just a way to shut up someone who
        > questions popular culture. BTW I personally love the pop of Brian Wilson,
        > Randy Newman, Phil Spector, etc. The question isn't if it is pop or not;
        > but whether it is good or bad.

        Well, obviously the type of "pop" you enjoy is worlds away from the
        type of "pop" (if Big Beat can already be labelled such, & judging
        from the way Fatboy's blown up, I guess it can) that Fatboy Slim
        produces.

        <posturing for nebulous "cred"> Personally, I quite enjoy a lot of
        the Big Beat I've heard on the Wall of Sound & Fused & Bruised
        labels. It's *dance music*, & on a mailing list so ridiculously
        apologetic for every bleep farted out by the Detroit techno droids,
        it seems like some credit could be extended here for music that both
        functionally (ie-- on the dancefloor) blows away so much of what's
        come before, & even makes for excellent home listening, in the hands
        of certain perps (Wreckage, Inc., Akasha, the Dirty Beatniks, et al)
        </posturing>

        ps-- Brian Wilson is hopelessly overrated.

        Jason Witherspoon

        --- ---
        --- X ---
        --- ---
        ---------
        --- ---
        --- ---
        com/~arz
        http://www.best.com/~arzachel
        www.best.com/~arzachel
        best.com/~a
      • Randy Gelling
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 29, 1999
          On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Jason Witherspoon wrote:

          > From: Jason Witherspoon <arzachel@...>
          >
          > At 4:47 PM -0800 3/29/99, Randy Gelling wrote:
          > > This is the kind of tired
          > > posturing that stains most of the British (and American) music press.
          >
          > Did you ever consider that maybe, just maybe, the person claiming
          > they enjoy said music actually enjoy it?
          >
          > Sure they do, but what I'm attacking here is the idea that the fact
          that just because you like something that is popular makes you "one of the
          people" and anyone who disagrees with you is "not of the people." In fact,
          this is your implication here as well, it's a common posture for
          intellectuals who don't want to be considered "nerds" by the
          anti-intellectual popular culture ( although "popular culture" is really
          the product of the media more than the population).

          > > The > > constant calls of "snob" are really just a way to shut up
          someone who> > questions popular culture. BTW I personally love the pop of Brian Wilson,
          > > Randy Newman, Phil Spector, etc. The question isn't if it is pop or not;
          > > but whether it is good or bad.
          >

          > Well, obviously the type of "pop" you enjoy is worlds away from the
          > type of "pop" (if Big Beat can already be labelled such, & judging
          > from the way Fatboy's blown up, I guess it can) that Fatboy Slim
          > produces.

          Our terms are a little vague, I use pop to indicate tin-pan alley based,
          song oriented forms,(something I think it's fair to connect the
          Housemartins with, but not Fatboy Slim) not simply something that sells.
          Regardless, you've taken this as an attack on "Big Beat," which it's not.
          I simply don't like Fatboy Slim, Bigbeat is harmless enough. Although I'd
          like to point out that the constant subgenreing of electronic dance music
          is simply stupid; there are lots of tracks that could be considered BB
          before the term was ever invented--these genre names are invented for
          record store clerks and those individuals empty enough to attempt to
          define their lives through a lifestyle, fashion, music lexicon.

          > <posturing for nebulous "cred"> Personally, I quite enjoy a lot of
          > the Big Beat I've heard on the Wall of Sound & Fused & Bruised
          > labels. It's *dance music*, & on a mailing list so ridiculously
          > apologetic for every bleep farted out by the Detroit techno droids,
          > it seems like some credit could be extended here for music that both
          > functionally (ie-- on the dancefloor) blows away so much of what's
          > come before, & even makes for excellent home listening, in the hands
          > of certain perps (Wreckage, Inc., Akasha, the Dirty Beatniks, et al)
          > </posturing>
          >

          > ps-- Brian Wilson is hopelessly overrated.
          >
          > Sure he is, I think Pet Sounds is the only good album he ever produced,
          and the claims of "genius" are absurd, I wasn't nominating him for
          sainthood, I simply like his music. I knew this kind of post inevitably
          leads to nasty, sarcastic statements like this, but I couldn't resist
          responding. Please try to keep a civil tonque in your head from now on, I
          realize it must be easy to take out your frustrations on faceless
          strangers on the net, but try your best.

          > Jason Witherspoon
          >
          > --- ---
          > --- X ---
          > --- ---
          > ---------
          > --- ---
          > --- ---
          > com/~arz
          > http://www.best.com/~arzachel
          > www.best.com/~arzachel
          > best.com/~a

        • Jason Witherspoon
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 29, 1999
            At 7:39 PM -0800 3/29/99, Randy Gelling wrote:
            >> ps-- Brian Wilson is hopelessly overrated.
            >>
            >> Sure he is, I think Pet Sounds is the only good album he ever produced,
            > and the claims of "genius" are absurd, I wasn't nominating him for
            > sainthood, I simply like his music. I knew this kind of post inevitably
            > leads to nasty, sarcastic statements like this, but I couldn't resist
            > responding. Please try to keep a civil tonque in your head from now on, I
            > realize it must be easy to take out your frustrations on faceless
            > strangers on the net, but try your best.

            Excuse me Randy, could you please point out my nasty, sarcastic
            statement? I think I missed it.

            I was simply emphasizing my point that different people have
            different opinions. Despite strong sentiment to the contrary on this
            & other lists, I feel that these opinions rarely (if ever) make us
            better people than other folks holding different opinions, at least
            in the aesthetic field.

            "Civil tongue"? God, you're acting like I was calling you names.
            I'm sorry I offended you so much by stating my opinion of Brian
            Wilson, but I think you might be overreacting here, amigo.

            Jason Witherspoon

            --- ---
            --- X ---
            --- ---
            ---------
            --- ---
            --- ---
            com/~arz
            http://www.best.com/~arzachel
            www.best.com/~arzachel
            best.com/~a
          • Oliver Brice
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 29, 1999
              what I'm attacking here is the idea that the fact
              >that just because you like something that is popular makes you "one of
              the
              >people" and anyone who disagrees with you is "not of the people."

              That's a slightly irrelevant idea to attack, seeing as all I claimed was
              that I found FBS fun. I made no statements regarding the proletarian
              unity or anthing else, but merely claimed to enjoy something that you
              don't like, obviously a big mistake.
              It might be worth pointing out that not all avant garde musicians are as
              closed minded regarding pop as their fans seem to be, IE: Jim O'Rourke
              claimed that Radiohead's (Fantastic) album "OK Computer" was one of the
              high spots of 1998.
              Olie
            • Davis Ford
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 1999
                > > Sure they do, but what I'm attacking here is the idea that the fact
                > that just because you like something that is popular makes you "one of the
                > people" and anyone who disagrees with you is "not of the people." In fact,
                > this is your implication here as well, it's a common posture for
                > intellectuals who don't want to be considered "nerds" by the
                > anti-intellectual popular culture ( although "popular culture" is really
                > the product of the media more than the population).

                Man, you totally lost me on this...I still can't figure out what is on who's
                side, and which group of kids belong to which group of categorical types.

                > > ps-- Brian Wilson is hopelessly overrated.
                > >
                > > Sure he is, I think Pet Sounds is the only good album he ever produced,
                > and the claims of "genius" are absurd, I wasn't nominating him for

                Speaking of this, how about that "Smiles" album? I thought that was
                supposed to be outtakes of the Pet Sounds sessions. I have not heard it,
                and wonder if it is worthwhile.

                On a completely musically unrelated note: I have been recently enjoying
                this website: http://www.digitalblasphemy.com This guy creates 3D renderings
                with computer software. Some of the coolest digital 3D artwork I've ever
                seen.

                davis