Re: Mainliner/introduction

  • Angela
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 1999
      New to the list & thought I'd say hello.
      You may well be right about the digital distortion. I'll confess I
      haven't been interested enough to check carefully on its source, only
      interested enough to enjoy some of its results. For my money anyway, I
      usually find it matters none at all whether the trick's been done at the
      guitar pedal or the mixing board, only whether or not I can reap the
      consequences.
      However, reports I've heard from the High Rise live shows in the States
      have been that the band wasn't particularly loud onstage. What's more, the
      ability to hear things like drumstick count-ins and audience chatter in the
      quieter parts of the newest live High Rise cd ("Durophet") points to the
      possibility that their legendarily overdriven sound is something of an
      after-the-fact production phenomenon.
      While I won't say that Mainliner's "Mellow Out" is the best release from
      that flock of folks, you might try again with High Rise's "Distortions".
      This one, when it came out, seemed to have the most, uh, 'crossover appeal',
      and its production also just happens to be a bit more carefully chiseled.

      --
      -Angela
      http://www.musicfile.com/sunshine

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 25, 1999
        On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Angela wrote:

        > While I won't say that Mainliner's "Mellow Out" is the best
        > release from that flock of folks, you might try again with High Rise's
        > "Distortions". This one, when it came out, seemed to have the most,
        > uh, 'crossover appeal', and its production also just happens to be a
        > bit more carefully chiseled.

        You mean "Dispersion"? There isn't any album called "Distortions" from
        High Rise (though there is a fine album of that name from the Litter from
        their post-mod days). According to the band, the album wasn't finished
        when it was released- if you want, you can seek out the "corrected"
        version (apparently with a bunch of overdubs) on cassette from their own
        La Musica imprint. A lot of people complained that it was their
        cross-over mersh metal album, but I think they don't want to admit that
        the distortion is an intrinsic part of their interest in the band.

        I agree that the Mainliner albums sound relatively uninspired, but I think
        that's more because the dynamic is so static. I'd say that High Rise
        _Live_ is their finest moment so far, with _II_ a close second (and now
        available in the US domestically from the swine at Squealer). As for the
        distortion "controversy," I remember Mason (of Charnel House) saying that
        the tape he rec'd for _Mellow Out_ was totally maxed out in the red- I
        just assumed it was a two track cassette, oh well.

        -rob