Re: women

  • DysFunktion
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 25, 1999
      thewire@onelist.com 25/3/99 5:57 pm wrote:

      >I'm not suggesting that there is any conspiracy against women on this
      >list, I'm just asking what we can do to promote women who create
      >*wire-friendly* sounds.
      >
      >Would anyone be interested in a list for the adventures of women in modern
      >music? I'm NOT suggesting something to take the place of thewire list or
      >the magazine. Heaven forbid! I'm also don't want to start any tedious
      >academic gender debates.

      This had concerned me as well so I spent much of last year compiling a
      double CD compilation encompassing a broad cross section of women's
      experimental music (mainly friends of mine or women I've come across in
      the last few years playing in clubs, etc). It's called "Female of the
      Species" and will be available on the Law&Auder Record Label in the
      summer. These particular examples are limited to current experimentalists
      and up and coming artists. It's also based around electronic and club
      music because that's the nature of the label it was compiled for.

      I hope this'll draw some people's attention to the area. In time
      hopefully it'll be unnecessary to present exclusively female compilations
      as the activity of women in electronic music will be more evident and
      their presence more ubiquitous.

      // _D y s F u n k t ! o n-||__