Re: women

  • rfaith
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 25, 1999
      >From: Marty <martygal@...>
      >
      >I really like this mailing list and the Wire magazine. I have made contact
      >and shared my love of *sound* with people around the world and I thank you
      >all. So please, please, please, dont take any offense at this question but
      >I have to ask: where are the women?
      >
      >I'm not suggesting that there is any conspiracy against women on this
      >list, I'm just asking what we can do to promote women who create
      >*wire-friendly* sounds.

      you/we (the list) could start a discussion
      or highlight actual work
      rather than simply carping
      (this is a suggestion rather than a rant)

      >Would anyone be interested in a list for the adventures of women in modern
      >music? I'm NOT suggesting something to take the place of thewire list or
      >the magazine. Heaven forbid! I'm also don't want to start any tedious
      >academic gender debates.

      segregation is almost as bad as silence
      on this sort of matter
      anyway
      this isn't a single thread list as far as i know

      rfaith
    • DysFunktion
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 25, 1999
        thewire@onelist.com 25/3/99 5:57 pm wrote:

        >I'm not suggesting that there is any conspiracy against women on this
        >list, I'm just asking what we can do to promote women who create
        >*wire-friendly* sounds.
        >
        >Would anyone be interested in a list for the adventures of women in modern
        >music? I'm NOT suggesting something to take the place of thewire list or
        >the magazine. Heaven forbid! I'm also don't want to start any tedious
        >academic gender debates.

        This had concerned me as well so I spent much of last year compiling a
        double CD compilation encompassing a broad cross section of women's
        experimental music (mainly friends of mine or women I've come across in
        the last few years playing in clubs, etc). It's called "Female of the
        Species" and will be available on the Law&Auder Record Label in the
        summer. These particular examples are limited to current experimentalists
        and up and coming artists. It's also based around electronic and club
        music because that's the nature of the label it was compiled for.

        I hope this'll draw some people's attention to the area. In time
        hopefully it'll be unnecessary to present exclusively female compilations
        as the activity of women in electronic music will be more evident and
        their presence more ubiquitous.

        // _D y s F u n k t ! o n-||__