Re: women

  • Davis Ford
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 25, 1999
      > I really like this mailing list and the Wire magazine. I have made contact
      > and shared my love of *sound* with people around the world and I thank you
      > all. So please, please, please, dont take any offense at this question but
      > I have to ask: where are the women?

      Marty: check the archives...follow the link at the bottom to get to the
      archives.

      Do a search on 'women'

      Davis
    • Marty
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 25, 1999
        Davis,
        Good suggestion, thanks.
        Marty

        On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Davis Ford wrote:

        > From: "Davis Ford" <forddavi@...>
        >
        > > I really like this mailing list and the Wire magazine. I have made contact
        > > and shared my love of *sound* with people around the world and I thank you
        > > all. So please, please, please, dont take any offense at this question but
        > > I have to ask: where are the women?
        >
        > Marty: check the archives...follow the link at the bottom to get to the
        > archives.
        >
        > Do a search on 'women'
        >
        > Davis

      • rfaith
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 25, 1999
          >From: Marty <martygal@...>
          >
          >I really like this mailing list and the Wire magazine. I have made contact
          >and shared my love of *sound* with people around the world and I thank you
          >all. So please, please, please, dont take any offense at this question but
          >I have to ask: where are the women?
          >
          >I'm not suggesting that there is any conspiracy against women on this
          >list, I'm just asking what we can do to promote women who create
          >*wire-friendly* sounds.

          you/we (the list) could start a discussion
          or highlight actual work
          rather than simply carping
          (this is a suggestion rather than a rant)

          >Would anyone be interested in a list for the adventures of women in modern
          >music? I'm NOT suggesting something to take the place of thewire list or
          >the magazine. Heaven forbid! I'm also don't want to start any tedious
          >academic gender debates.

          segregation is almost as bad as silence
          on this sort of matter
          anyway
          this isn't a single thread list as far as i know

          rfaith
        • Shahara9@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 25, 1999
            I've been wondering that myself! I have just listened to two artists I think
            were mentioned on this list...Stina Nordenstam, and Jessica Baliff...both
            rather unique, different from each other, but both quite nice! I would also
            like to hear reviews of more female artists...
            ...has anyone ever heard of Stakka Bo? I am looking for info...
            shahara
          • DysFunktion
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 25, 1999
              thewire@onelist.com 25/3/99 5:57 pm wrote:

              >I'm not suggesting that there is any conspiracy against women on this
              >list, I'm just asking what we can do to promote women who create
              >*wire-friendly* sounds.
              >
              >Would anyone be interested in a list for the adventures of women in modern
              >music? I'm NOT suggesting something to take the place of thewire list or
              >the magazine. Heaven forbid! I'm also don't want to start any tedious
              >academic gender debates.

              This had concerned me as well so I spent much of last year compiling a
              double CD compilation encompassing a broad cross section of women's
              experimental music (mainly friends of mine or women I've come across in
              the last few years playing in clubs, etc). It's called "Female of the
              Species" and will be available on the Law&Auder Record Label in the
              summer. These particular examples are limited to current experimentalists
              and up and coming artists. It's also based around electronic and club
              music because that's the nature of the label it was compiled for.

              I hope this'll draw some people's attention to the area. In time
              hopefully it'll be unnecessary to present exclusively female compilations
              as the activity of women in electronic music will be more evident and
              their presence more ubiquitous.

              // _D y s F u n k t ! o n-||__