women

  • Marty
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 25, 1999
      I really like this mailing list and the Wire magazine. I have made contact
      and shared my love of *sound* with people around the world and I thank you
      all. So please, please, please, dont take any offense at this question but
      I have to ask: where are the women?

      I'm not suggesting that there is any conspiracy against women on this
      list, I'm just asking what we can do to promote women who create
      *wire-friendly* sounds.

      Would anyone be interested in a list for the adventures of women in modern
      music? I'm NOT suggesting something to take the place of thewire list or
      the magazine. Heaven forbid! I'm also don't want to start any tedious
      academic gender debates.

      I'm just curious and asking questions> If this offends you and you want to
      rant send me a personal reply off the list and spare others the unwanted
      mail.

      Cheers,
      Marty

      Subscribe to *DIARY*. Send email to: diary-subscribe@...
    • Davis Ford
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 25, 1999
        > I really like this mailing list and the Wire magazine. I have made contact
        > and shared my love of *sound* with people around the world and I thank you
        > all. So please, please, please, dont take any offense at this question but
        > I have to ask: where are the women?

        Marty: check the archives...follow the link at the bottom to get to the
        archives.

        Do a search on 'women'

        Davis
      • Marty
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 25, 1999
          Davis,
          Good suggestion, thanks.
          Marty

          On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Davis Ford wrote:

          > From: "Davis Ford" <forddavi@...>
          >
          > > I really like this mailing list and the Wire magazine. I have made contact
          > > and shared my love of *sound* with people around the world and I thank you
          > > all. So please, please, please, dont take any offense at this question but
          > > I have to ask: where are the women?
          >
          > Marty: check the archives...follow the link at the bottom to get to the
          > archives.
          >
          > Do a search on 'women'
          >
          > Davis

        • rfaith
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 25, 1999
            >From: Marty <martygal@...>
            >
            >I really like this mailing list and the Wire magazine. I have made contact
            >and shared my love of *sound* with people around the world and I thank you
            >all. So please, please, please, dont take any offense at this question but
            >I have to ask: where are the women?
            >
            >I'm not suggesting that there is any conspiracy against women on this
            >list, I'm just asking what we can do to promote women who create
            >*wire-friendly* sounds.

            you/we (the list) could start a discussion
            or highlight actual work
            rather than simply carping
            (this is a suggestion rather than a rant)

            >Would anyone be interested in a list for the adventures of women in modern
            >music? I'm NOT suggesting something to take the place of thewire list or
            >the magazine. Heaven forbid! I'm also don't want to start any tedious
            >academic gender debates.

            segregation is almost as bad as silence
            on this sort of matter
            anyway
            this isn't a single thread list as far as i know

            rfaith
          • Shahara9@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 25, 1999
              I've been wondering that myself! I have just listened to two artists I think
              were mentioned on this list...Stina Nordenstam, and Jessica Baliff...both
              rather unique, different from each other, but both quite nice! I would also
              like to hear reviews of more female artists...
              ...has anyone ever heard of Stakka Bo? I am looking for info...
              shahara
            • DysFunktion
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 25, 1999
                thewire@onelist.com 25/3/99 5:57 pm wrote:

                >I'm not suggesting that there is any conspiracy against women on this
                >list, I'm just asking what we can do to promote women who create
                >*wire-friendly* sounds.
                >
                >Would anyone be interested in a list for the adventures of women in modern
                >music? I'm NOT suggesting something to take the place of thewire list or
                >the magazine. Heaven forbid! I'm also don't want to start any tedious
                >academic gender debates.

                This had concerned me as well so I spent much of last year compiling a
                double CD compilation encompassing a broad cross section of women's
                experimental music (mainly friends of mine or women I've come across in
                the last few years playing in clubs, etc). It's called "Female of the
                Species" and will be available on the Law&Auder Record Label in the
                summer. These particular examples are limited to current experimentalists
                and up and coming artists. It's also based around electronic and club
                music because that's the nature of the label it was compiled for.

                I hope this'll draw some people's attention to the area. In time
                hopefully it'll be unnecessary to present exclusively female compilations
                as the activity of women in electronic music will be more evident and
                their presence more ubiquitous.

                // _D y s F u n k t ! o n-||__