Re: high rise

  • R. Lim
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 1999
      On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Dave Trenkel wrote:

      > But, the only noise album that I've truly never managed to make if through
      > is the one High Rise CD I have, can't remember the title right now. It's
      > recorded with so much digital distortion as to be just a wall of harsh
      > mush, but enough of the original instruments (guitar, bass, drums) remain
      > audible to let you know that behind all the noise is a sub par sabbath/blue
      > cheer clone.

      Is your point that this identity-less High Rise album is a terrible noise
      album because it's actually a rock album (and apparently not a very good
      one at that)? I'd have to say that High Rise are much closer to the
      hopped up, energy-jazz shaped outbursts of the MC 5 (w/ the two guitar
      version of Fushitsusha standing as the Blue Cheer acolytes). I mean,
      listen to the way the bass becomes the loci of the loping rhythm and
      melody and how that frees up wild textural possibilities for guitarist
      Munehiro Narita (which he exploits most impressively) as well allowing
      metric and tonal experimentation for the drummer (esp the most recent
      records, with certified improv drummer Shoji Hano behind the kit). I
      reckon the only band working similar territory is the early version of the
      now-functionality dead Unsane. Then again, perhaps your well-attuned ears
      (which apparently can't differentiate "digital distortion" with good ole
      needles-pinned analog distortion) can suss the cookie cutter cloning of
      Cheer/Sabbath.

      Pardon the outburst, but I think the trend of half-assed generalizations
      about Japanese bands on this list (and no doubt others) warrants
      corrective action.

      -rob
    • improv@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 25, 1999
        At 1:56 AM 3/25/99, R. Lim wrote:
        >From: "R. Lim" <rlim@...>
        >
        >On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Dave Trenkel wrote:
        >
        >> But, the only noise album that I've truly never managed to make if through
        >> is the one High Rise CD I have, can't remember the title right now. It's
        >> recorded with so much digital distortion as to be just a wall of harsh
        >> mush, but enough of the original instruments (guitar, bass, drums) remain
        >> audible to let you know that behind all the noise is a sub par sabbath/blue
        >> cheer clone.
        >
        >Is your point that this identity-less High Rise album is a terrible noise
        >album because it's actually a rock album (and apparently not a very good
        >one at that)? I'd have to say that High Rise are much closer to the
        >hopped up, energy-jazz shaped outbursts of the MC 5 (w/ the two guitar
        >version of Fushitsusha standing as the Blue Cheer acolytes). I mean,

        First off, I really have to apologize. The record I was refferring to was
        actually Mellow Out by Mainliner, not High Rise. I don't know if it's
        encroaching senility, age or the paint fumes I was huffing yesterday, but I
        managed to transpose the two bands when I wrote that e-mail. Sorry for any
        confusion. The thing is, when I bought the Mainliner record a couple of
        years ago, I was looking for High Rise, who had been recommended to me very
        highly, and the Mainliner disc was the only High Rise related thing I could
        find at the time. As a result, I haven't checked out any High Rise, as I
        really don't like the Mainliner disc at all. Rob, can you recommend some
        records?

        >now-functionality dead Unsane. Then again, perhaps your well-attuned ears
        >(which apparently can't differentiate "digital distortion" with good ole
        >needles-pinned analog distortion) can suss the cookie cutter cloning of
        >Cheer/Sabbath.

        Just to set the record straight, yes, I think I can distinguish between
        digital and analog distortion. I've been recording for close to 20 years
        now, and have worked in digital audio for about 10. I do digital editing
        and CD mastering as part of my job, I mastered 5 CD's last month, none of
        which would be of particular interest to this list, mostly folk, jazz and
        classical.

        The Mainliner disc sounds like it was pushed far into digital distortion at
        some point in the recording and mastering chain, it's really harsh and
        grainy sounding, and, to my ears, not the sound of analog tape or analog
        circuits overloading, which have a completely different character.
        Underneath all the distortion, I hear a fairly straight-forward rock band,
        and, while it is hard to tell because of the recording quality, it doesn't
        sound like a particularly inspired rock band. Maybe if it was better
        recorded, I could hear more nuance. I do like heavy music, and the reason I
        sought out the record in the first place was that a friend had described
        High Rise as something like Black Sabbath playing free jazz, which sounded
        totally interesting to me.

        >Pardon the outburst, but I think the trend of half-assed generalizations
        >about Japanese bands on this list (and no doubt others) warrants
        >corrective action.

        Again, I have to apologize for confusing the band names, but I don't think
        I was making a half-assed generalization about Japanese bands. I was
        commenting on one CD by one band that I really didn't like. I do listen
        regularly to a lot of experimental Japanese music, I like Ground Zero,
        Fushitsusha, Ruins, Zeni Geva and others quite a bit.

        Dave Trenkel : improv@... : www.peak.org/~improv/

        "...there will come a day when you won't have to use
        gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
        your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
        type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
        together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
        together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
        -Sun Ra