noise annoys

  • philip rhoads
    Message 1 of 77 , Mar 23, 1999
      Right, it's time for one of those emails that wakes everyone up. I am constructing an article for my magazine on cacophony, total noise and unlistenable records. I was trying to think of what i'd class as unlistenable (that is, by nature of the sound content not the musical content - any replies with 'simply red' or 'M People' will be ignored as they are just too obvious!) and realised that my taste margins are so broad and that my mind is so open that I honestly struggled to come up with much.

      I first thought of Merzbow (no particular release - just generally), but then sometimes I see utter beauty inside the maelstrom.

      I finally came up with 'Public castration is a good idea' by swans which, although I love it as an artefact, as my favourite album title and because it makes up my swans collection, I cannot actually bring myself to sit through it all the way through. It is just too slow, too unrelenting, too claustrophobic and the space between the drum beats just too bloody long. Oh, and the vocals - don't get me started on the guttural primeval groans that pass for vocals. When I interviewed Gira a couple of years ago even he admitted that he can't listen to it for exactly the same reasons - so there you have it, even the artist himself finds it unlistenable !

      So, dear listmembers, I would like to open the floor to you all for your votes on what is the most unlistenable /noisiest/cacophonous record ever released. And why.

      Thanks

      Philip
    • Oliver Brice
      Message 77 of 77 , May 23, 1999

        > >So, dear listmembers, I would like to open the floor to you all for
        >your votes on what is the most unlistenable /noisiest/cacophonous
        >record ever released. And why.
        >

        >AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        >If I see one more message inviting me to join electronic@onelist,
        >taking the piss out of M.E. Smith or asking what records are noisy, I
        >think I'm going to go mad. Maybe we could have a rule that one
        >should only post messages if one has a new questiuon to ask, or
        >something to say.
        >Ok, thats that off my chest,
        >Olie

        I don't know why messages I posted a month ago or so are suddenly appearing
        now, but sorry.
        Olie