Current reminder

  • The Wire
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 23 3:58 AM
      Hello all,

      this is a little reminder about the launch of CURRENT tomorrow night:

      The Crossbar, Kings Cross (Pentonville Road, next to Thameslink Station
      Entrance)
      doors open 8pm, close at 1am:

      Rhys Chatham, Gary Smith, and Pat Thomas (live jam)

      Pole (crackling DJ set)

      The Wire Sound System (residents)

      see ya'll there!

      THE WIRE Magazine: Adventures In Modern Music
      45-46 Poland Street London W1V 3DF UK
      Tel: +44 (0)171 439 6422 Fax: +44 (0)171 287 4767
      E-mail: the_wire@...
      Web: http://www.dfuse.com/the-wire
      Ads: +44 (0)171 494 1340 ads.wire@...
    • Nick Rothwell
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23 1:01 PM
        > Pole (crackling DJ set)

        I hope it's better than his set for SonicConcrete at the ICA last
        weekend, which I found unimaginative, derivative and monotonous. Some
        of the flyers floating around had some very positive press copy from
        The Wire, which suggests that either his recorded material is a lot
        better, or that naming oneself after a piece of analogue equipment is
        the best way to get The Wire to come up with a positive review.

        -- Nick Rothwell, "Filter." (Formerly known as "Cassiel.")

        (PS: Scanner's nine record deck performance was terrific.)

        --

        Nick Rothwell Cassiel.com Limited
        nick@... www.cassiel.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23 4:35 PM
          Was anyone else out there at Sonic Concrete on Sunday night?? Thoughts? (i
          didnt catch fri-sat)

          The night started off with an amazing Terry Riley piece called 'The Gift',
          basically 'Miles Davis - So What' given the Riley treatment, fantastic!.. Is
          this part of the Cortical Reissues? Unfortunately there were a lot of people
          in who seemed to have come out for a good chat :-)..

          and then the films..

          'Coming Attractions' (featuring the music of Terry Riley, Charlemagne
          Palestine, La Monte Young and Alvin Curran and more) Directed by Tony
          Conrad...
          Wasnt quite what i expected! But then my only exposure to Tony conrad is
          through the 'early minimalism' boxset... I didnt realise he was such a hippy
          ;-) i liked the flickery/fucked up bits though.. all though the dressing up
          in funny costumes and prancing was a bit lost on me! But luckily there was
          nudity to keep things rolling over nicely...

          Oh and there was 'Invasion of the Thunderbolt Pagoda' ... hmm even the
          nudity didnt keep this rolling over nicely.. although it was maybe a bit
          more consistent than 'Coming attr.', consistently dull, some nice photgraphy
          reflected in Mercury.. but thats about it. It was introduced by an old hippy
          chick... but i dont think she was used to an English audience, and should
          probably just stay in her NY loft these days ..Lux baby..... Lux

          Steve

          Nick Rothwell wrote:

          > From: Nick Rothwell <nick@...>
          >
          > > Pole (crackling DJ set)
          >
          > I hope it's better than his set for SonicConcrete at the ICA last
          > weekend, which I found unimaginative, derivative and monotonous. Some
          > of the flyers floating around had some very positive press copy from
          > The Wire, which suggests that either his recorded material is a lot
          > better, or that naming oneself after a piece of analogue equipment is
          > the best way to get The Wire to come up with a positive review.
          >
          > -- Nick Rothwell, "Filter." (Formerly known as "Cassiel.")
          >
          > (PS: Scanner's nine record deck performance was terrific.)
          >
          > --
          >
          > Nick Rothwell Cassiel.com Limited
          > nick@... www.cassiel.com
          > software - electronic sound media - performance

        • Cummings
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 25 4:35 AM
            Just curious: did you see the Victor Grauer film? Any comments?

            -the man cable-

            Steven Tayor schrieb:
            > <snipper> ...
            > </snipper>
            >
            > 'Coming Attractions' (featuring the music of Terry Riley, Charlemagne
            > Palestine, La Monte Young and Alvin Curran and more) Directed by Tony
            > Conrad...
            > Wasnt quite what i expected! But then my only exposure to Tony conrad is
            > through the 'early minimalism' boxset... I didnt realise he was such a hippy
            > ;-) i liked the flickery/fucked up bits though.. all though the dressing up
            > in funny costumes and prancing was a bit lost on me! But luckily there was
            > nudity to keep things rolling over nicely...
            >
            > Oh and there was 'Invasion of the Thunderbolt Pagoda' ... hmm even the
            > nudity didnt keep this rolling over nicely.. although it was maybe a bit
            > more consistent than 'Coming attr.', consistently dull, some nice photgraphy
            > reflected in Mercury.. but thats about it. It was introduced by an old hippy
            > chick... but i dont think she was used to an English audience, and should
            > probably just stay in her NY loft these days ..Lux baby..... Lux
            >
            > Steve
          • Steven Tayor
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 25 2:36 PM
              Im pretty positive there was no Victor Grauer film on that night.
              Although there is a Sonic Concrete 'spillover' sometime which includes Tony
              Conrad's 'Flicker' film, maybe it will be shown then? Who is Victor Grauer btw?...

              Steve

              Cummings wrote:

              > From: Cummings <r_t_cummings@...>
              >
              > Just curious: did you see the Victor Grauer film? Any comments?
              >
              > -the man cable-
              >
              > Steven Tayor schrieb:
              > > <snipper> ...
              > > </snipper>
              > >
              > > 'Coming Attractions' (featuring the music of Terry Riley, Charlemagne
              > > Palestine, La Monte Young and Alvin Curran and more) Directed by Tony
              > > Conrad...
              > > Wasnt quite what i expected! But then my only exposure to Tony conrad is
              > > through the 'early minimalism' boxset... I didnt realise he was such a hippy
              > > ;-) i liked the flickery/fucked up bits though.. all though the dressing up
              > > in funny costumes and prancing was a bit lost on me! But luckily there was
              > > nudity to keep things rolling over nicely...
              > >
              > > Oh and there was 'Invasion of the Thunderbolt Pagoda' ... hmm even the
              > > nudity didnt keep this rolling over nicely.. although it was maybe a bit
              > > more consistent than 'Coming attr.', consistently dull, some nice photgraphy
              > > reflected in Mercury.. but thats about it. It was introduced by an old hippy
              > > chick... but i dont think she was used to an English audience, and should
              > > probably just stay in her NY loft these days ..Lux baby..... Lux
              > >
              > > Steve

            • The Wire
              Message 6 of 6 , May 18, 1999
                CURRENT

                The Wire's space for live experimental, electronic-slanted musics and
                vanguard sounds on vinyl presents:

                FUNKSTORUNG (!K7/Musik Aus Strom/Fat Cat)

                ANTENNA FARM (Fat Cat)

                THE WIRE SOUND SYSTEM (Resident DJs)

                Live UK debut of FUNKSTORUNG, south Germany's answer to Autechre, who have
                remixed tracks for the likes of Wu Tang Clan and Bjork, run their own Musik
                Aus Strom label, and have a remix album out now on !K7. Funkstorung are
                joined by ANTENNA FARM - members of the Fat Cat label crew mash up
                crumbling electronica, noise and concrete tapes. Plus: host DJs THE WIRE
                SOUND SYSTEM spin a morphing mix of Cologne and Berlin pulse Techno, skewed
                Matmos-type sampladelia, glitch-tronics, rewired guitars, and more.
                [NB: CHASM will not be performing as previously advertised. For personal
                reasons, Robert Hampson has had to cancel all engagements]

                Venue: London Crossbar, Pentonville Road (next to King's Cross Thameslink)
                Date: Thursday 20 May
                Time: 8pm-1am
                Tickets: 6/4 pounds
                Booking: 0171 837 3218