Frank Zappa

  • Dr Erica Sheen
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 12, 1999
      I'm forwarding this query from a musicologist colleague who needs help with
      some references in a Frank Zappa track, 'Magdalena'. Does anybody know
      anything about two people called Jon Provost (apparently a 'b' movie
      actor)and Frank Pernell; or about a place, or bar, called (?perhaps?)
      Centreville or Cinna Grill. Any further info. about these, or about why
      Zappa used them, gratefully received.

      Dr Erica Sheen, School of English,
      University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2TN

      e.sheen@...
      tel: [0]114 222 8472 fax: [0]114 2228491
    • Marty
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 12, 1999
        "Centerville is a real nice place to raise your kids up"
        Check out/into 200 Motels.

        Marty

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 12, 1999
          Marty - hi, and thanks, but...errm, can you unpack this a little? What/where
          is this a quote from?

        • Davis Ford
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 12, 1999
            Marty - hi, and thanks, but...errm, can you unpack this a little?
            What/where
            is this a quote from?

            This is from Zappa's movie: 200 Motels...there is a very ODD scene where
            they go into a town called Centreville, which tries to appear like a "Great
            place to raise your kids", but it has its fair share of prostitutes,
            drunks, etc. The scene is classic, shot in a very bizarre manner...almost
            like you're on acid when you watch it.

            Davis
          • JoelKru@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 13, 1999

              <<Jon Provost (apparently a 'b' movie

              actor)>>

              Greetings!

              Jon Provost played "Timmy" in the old "Lassie" TV series from the early 60's.

              Have fun!

              Joel Krutt
            • E.Sheen
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 19, 1999
                Joel -many thanks for this! erica

                > From: JoelKru@...
                > Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:05:12 EST
                > To: thewire@onelist.com
                > Subject: [thewire] Re: Frank Zappa

                > From: JoelKru@...
                >

                > In a message dated 3/12/99 2:05:43 PM, you wrote:
                >
                > <<Jon Provost (apparently a 'b' movie
                >
                > actor)>>
                >
                > Greetings!
                >
                > Jon Provost played "Timmy" in the old "Lassie" TV series from the early 60's.
                >
                > Have fun!
                >
                > Joel Krutt

                Dr. J.E.Sheen, School of English,
                University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2TN, U.K..
                tel. +44 114 2228472/fax.2228481