Haino, Cohen, Baron CD quickie review

  • Brian & Sharon Beuchaw
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 1999
      It's about an hour long, 1st track is about 3 minutes - Haino playing
      acoustic, Cohen bowing his bass, and Joey doing some little fills. Sounds
      like Derek Bailey a bit.

      2nd track is 1:47 of similar except Cohen doesn't use his bow and Joey
      sounds like he's playing his snare with his hands very subtly.

      3rd track is 31 minutes and it's pretty similar to the others except Haino
      uses an electric guitar (he might actually use an electric on track 2 (no
      titles for the tracks, BTW)). They actually get a groove going about 8
      minutes in and keep it for quite a while!

      Track 4 is almost 7 minutes and swings quite a bit. Haino's guitar is
      crystal clear - you can hear every string - none of the massiveness of his
      other releases.

      Last track is 15 minutes and is fast and furious - Joey plays part of the
      track with his hands, Cohen is beating the hell out of his bass and Haino
      is playing some mutant flamenco (just looked at the front cover and
      there's a hollow-body guitar on it - sounds like what Haino's playing
      most of the time).

      To sum up - it sounds *nothing* like Haino at all (maybe similar to his
      duet with Bailey or Connors), but it's good - no vocals at all (except a
      "Ha" near the end of the CD).

      Hope this helps....

      cya
      brian
      "You believe the world is perfectible and so you find it always
      unsatisfying. You have to reconcile yourself to the world's
      unperfectibility by being thoroughly *in* the world, but not
      *of* it" - Tony Kushner
    • Benito Vergara
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 1999

        Actually, there are titles (you haven't poked around those green cards, have
        you, Brian?) =):

        1. An 83 2/9 Time That Was Carried Out Here
        2. An Unity with a Hole That May Come in in a Blinking Moment
        3. Never Did I Imagine That There Exists An Eight-Layered Handicap
        4. A Clear Consciousness That Can Only Lay the Will to "STOP"
        5. Rolling on the Time and Tide, Spreading the Colour of Red

        Man I love his titles...

        I'm no big fan of improv -- I haven't heard enough to "get it" -- but it's
        somewhat thrilling to listen to this CD and actually be able to pick out the
        interplay between them. Haino wouldn't always be in the lead, either;
        sometimes Baron would break off and start lightly tip-tap-tapping a
        different rhythm and the rest would slowly follow suit. The overall feeling
        one gets from the disc is one of... fun, I guess, I don't know how to
        describe it. But one can imagine Joey Baron grinning his head off the entire
        time. =)

        In short, it doesn't sound like the (few) Keiji Haino releases I've heard
        before; it sure isn't the aural barrage that is "The Caution Approaches,"
        for instance...

        And Davis Ford wrote a while back:

        > I checked Bent
        > Crayon, they have it for $20 -- why the hell is the Avant stuff so
        > expensive?

        I got it from Everycd.com for $15.82 (the usual warnings apply -- they have
        a membership fee).

        Later,
        Ben

        http://www.bigfoot.com/~bvergara/
        ICQ# 12832406
      • Brian & Sharon Beuchaw
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 1999
          On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Benito Vergara wrote:

> [...]

          Oops - that's what I get for a quickie. :-) I had, but forgot about them
          when I listened to it at work today while doing many other things.....

          > 1. An 83 2/9 Time That Was Carried Out Here
          > 2. An Unity with a Hole That May Come in in a Blinking Moment
          > 3. Never Did I Imagine That There Exists An Eight-Layered Handicap
          > 4. A Clear Consciousness That Can Only Lay the Will to "STOP"
          > 5. Rolling on the Time and Tide, Spreading the Colour of Red
          >
          > Man I love his titles...

          I agree totally - can't think of one that's equally as impressive....

          > ... But one can imagine Joey Baron grinning his head off the entire
          > time. =)

          As he does most of the time anyway!

          > In short, it doesn't sound like the (few) Keiji Haino releases I've heard
          > before; it sure isn't the aural barrage that is "The Caution Approaches,"
          > for instance...

          Glad to see someone else in agreement - it's *so* different from his
          usual work, one wouldn't know it was him if you didn't see his name on the
          cover (which may be good for some, bad for others - I personally think the
          Baron/Cohen section by themselves are well worth the price).