Re: albini/Skrewdriver

  • John Everall
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 1999
      R. Lim wrote:

      > From: "R. Lim" <rlim@...>
      >
      > On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, John Everall wrote:
      >
      > > Talking of separating an artist's personality and their work, I recall
      > > Steve Albini saying one of his favourite bands was Screwdriver! I
      > > think he may have been trying to wind-up an NME journalist at the
      > > time...
      >
      > Unlikely- in all likelihood, he was referring to their early releases (and
      > pls note the correct spelling above). In particular, their first LP and
      > two singles for the English proto-punk Chiswick label were fairly
      > magnificent examples of the more ruffian end of the pub rock spectrum, a
      > sound they perfected before their true calling sent them on many panty
      > raids to the Seeger mansion. Given Albini's well-documented admiration of
      > this surprising sprawling subgenre (c.f. the (Count) Bishops, Third World
      > War), it shouldn't be a surprise that he'd pick 'em for immortality.

      Apologies for the misspelling. I actually did buy Skrewdriver's "Anti-Social" single when
      it came out. Chiswick was a pretty dreadful label on the whole. I had the extreme
      misfortune of seeing The Count Bishops in a pub in Chester in 1978. I would hardly call
      Chiswick proto-punk, unless one regards that whole pub-rock scene as the genesis of punk
      rock in the UK, which I certainly don't consider it to be. Sure Strummer & a few others
      came out of that scene, but at best it was only tangentially related to punk (bands like
      Count Bishops, Hammersmith Gorillas, et al had been going for years). It had absolutely
      zero influence on punk in Manchester, which was where I was living as a schoolkid at the
      time of punk. And even in London those bands were more likely to be lumped in with Nick
      Lowe, Graham Parker, etc.

      regards,

      John.
      > Unfortunately, Chiswick has put a kibbosh on letting any of that material
      > see light of day (for a full explanation, see the note that accompanied
      > the 2CD Chiswick retrospective); hence the only way you'd be able to hear
      > it yourself is via some pricey boots or pricier originals that circulate
      > in punk trading circles.
    • R. Lim
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 1999
        On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, John Everall wrote:

        > Talking of separating an artist's personality and their work, I recall
        > Steve Albini saying one of his favourite bands was Screwdriver! I
        > think he may have been trying to wind-up an NME journalist at the
        > time...

        Unlikely- in all likelihood, he was referring to their early releases (and
        pls note the correct spelling above). In particular, their first LP and
        two singles for the English proto-punk Chiswick label were fairly
        magnificent examples of the more ruffian end of the pub rock spectrum, a
        sound they perfected before their true calling sent them on many panty
        raids to the Seeger mansion. Given Albini's well-documented admiration of
        this surprising sprawling subgenre (c.f. the (Count) Bishops, Third World
        War), it shouldn't be a surprise that he'd pick 'em for immortality.

        Unfortunately, Chiswick has put a kibbosh on letting any of that material
        see light of day (for a full explanation, see the note that accompanied
        the 2CD Chiswick retrospective); hence the only way you'd be able to hear
        it yourself is via some pricey boots or pricier originals that circulate
        in punk trading circles.

        -rob