Re: Digest Number 258

  • philip rhoads
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 1999
      Hmm, interesting concept about artism vs morality. I think it all depends on
      the reasoning behind the ideas and whether the ideas are personal beliefs or
      just something that is used for effect or message. Personally speaking, if
      an artist promoted ideals that are (for example) racist I would be
      immediately put off their work - this is because the ideal disgusts me so
      much I could not separate the art from the ideas. If, though, the ideals are
      used in the art (e.g. Michael Gira, whose lyrics/prose frequently feature
      glorification of abuse and/or rape) for 'the greater good' (whatever the
      fuck that means!) then I can stomach it. I suppose it all comes down to
      personal feelings and personal freedom. Albini is a case in point - an
      objectionable little prick who happens (or happened, up till the shit last
      album) to make great music - witness the fantastic Shellac live in Japan lp
      for all you non-believers!
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 1999
        At 08:20 PM 2/28/99 -0000, GaryLeeG wrote:
        >From: "GaryLeeG" <gary@...>
        >
        >> From: John Everall <john.sentrax@...>
        >>
        >>Wagner wasn't a Nazi....
        >>
        >>Talking of separating an artist's personality and their work, I recall
        >Steve Albini
        >>saying one of his favourite bands was Screwdriver! I think he may have been
        >trying to
        >>wind-up an NME journalist at the time...

        I can imagine Albini having been serious about that--Skrewdriver's sound
        probably appeals to him, whether he agrees with their politics or not (and
        he's certainly been ambiguous about racial & political issues in the past).

        >This is an interesting ethical question. If someone currently making music
        >declared themselves a racist, I'm sure a lot of us would avoid their stuff
        >like the plague. But it's OK for historic figures... Does it boil down to
        >current social impact? Wagners long dead so his views can't do any harm?
        >This isn't something I've really thought about before so any points...

        The problem with this is that you can end up not listening to anything,
        because everybody has some sort of unpleasant character trait(s). Say we
        axe Wagner for anti-Semitism; what about Miles Davis smacking his wife
        around? Do we not read Eliot or Pound because of their misguided support of
        Mussolini (though both of them later repented)? There are any number of
        medieval motets or chansons with shockingly anti-Semitic texts (one of
        Alfonso's cantigas concerns the public burning of a Jewish woman, followed
        by an extended Alleluia)--should we boycott those as well?

        My personal solution is to avoid supporting living anti-Semites and bigots.
        If I want to read something Noontide Press publishes, I wait until I can
        find a used copy. If I'm curious to know what RAHOWA sounds like, I'll
        scrounge the used-record bins. You may feel the need to be more
        restrictive, and that's okay.

        Matthew Weber
        Library Assistant III
        Music Library
        University of California at Berkeley

        Which is it: is man one of God's blunders, or is God one of man's blunders?
        Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900), notes for _The Will to Power_ (1883-1888)