Re: experimental rock map compilation tapes

  • Per-Christian Hille
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 1999
      >> 6. Noise
      Boredoms should definately be on there; their latest "Boredoms aR" was one
      of 98s best

      Sorry, that should be "Super aR"
    • Oliver Brice
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 1999
        Sounds like a brilliant compilation, but the noise section is a little
        conservative, how about some Merzbow, Dead C, Ascension, Keiji Haino,
        CCCC, Borbetomagus etc...???

      • Kjetil R|dje
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 1999
          Why does your post-rock period start in 1993? How about older stuff like:
          Slint, Codeine, Disco Inferno etc.

          At 08:49 28.02.99 -0300, you wrote:

          </smaller>

          <smaller>side a:

          </smaller>

          <smaller>glass museum (tortoise, millions now living will never die)

          cybele´s reviere (stereolab, emperor tomato ketchup)

          wedding in the park (gastr del sol, croockt crackt or fly)

          red river (laika, silver apples from the moon)

          </smaller>

          <smaller>side b:

          </smaller>

          <smaller>joker john (moonshake, the sound your eyes can follow)

          kissing the sun (young gods, only heaven)

          polyfusion (seefeel, quique)

          </smaller>

          </excerpt>
        • Huang Weijian
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 2, 1999
            >planetax@...
            >
            >I call experimental rock to the music that takes place from that common
            =
            >edge, from that gray zone that exists between experimental music and =
            >rock. This gray zone acquires, at different moments and places,
            singular =
            >configurations: psychedelia, krautrock, no-wave, industrial, electronic
            =
            >music, post-rock. That point of crossing in perpetual metamorphosis
            that =
            >forces to a permanent deflection.=20
            >
            >Recently, I have assembled a series of 30min tapes on experimental
            rock. =
            >This are not intended for comercial distribution, they are basicaly =
            >personal, and for friends.
            >
            >They were made to give, within 30 minutes, a glimpse of the genre. They
            =
            >should worl as an introduction for people who never heard this stuff =
            Interesting stuff there.Nothing like a good mix-tape.The noise label fro
            the bands you put in that category was a bit odd though.Most of the
            bands there belong more or less to the shoegazer-era(yikes).Great
            stuff,that,but aren't they a bit too melodic to qualify as noise?
          • Franco Ingrassia
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 6, 1999
              >should worl as an introduction for people who never heard this stuff =
              Interesting stuff there.Nothing like a good mix-tape.The noise label fro
              the bands you put in that category was a bit odd though.Most of the
              bands there belong more or less to the shoegazer-era(yikes).Great
              stuff,that,but aren't they a bit too melodic to qualify as noise?

              I agree, but here in argentina, groups like My Bloody Valentine and Sonic
              Youth are considered noise. Maybe another tape could be made with the more
              hard-edged stuff. (Any suggestions?)
              But I think the original tape is important because it�s fundamental to know
              this groups because much of the post-rock was done holding this groups as
              references, retaining some elements and leaving others behind.

              Planeta X
              Alvear 1079
              Rosario, Santa Fe
              2000
              Argentina
              Http://come.to/planetax

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 6, 1999
                Why does your post-rock period start in 1993? How about older stuff like: Slint, Codeine, Disco Inferno etc.

                I haven�t heard Slint or Codeine. �Do you have any info on them?

                About Disco Inferno, I have listened to their two cds. In my opinion, they are too hipnotized by Joy Division to make a valuable contribuition (specially in the first lp). Do you agree?

                Planeta X
                Alvear 1079
                Rosario, Santa Fe
                2000
                Argentina
                Http://come.to/planetax
                Why does your post-rock period start in 1993? How about older stuff like: Slint, Codeine, Disco Inferno etc.

                At 08:49 28.02.99 -0300, you wrote:

                2. Post-Rock (93-96)

                side a:

                glass museum (tortoise, millions now living will never die)
                cybele´s reviere (stereolab, emperor tomato ketchup)
                wedding in the park (gastr del sol, croockt crackt or fly)
                red river (laika, silver apples from the moon)

                side b:

                joker john (moonshake, the sound your eyes can follow)
                kissing the sun (young gods, only heaven)
                polyfusion (seefeel, quique)

                ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Did you know that we have over 85,000 e-mail communities at Onelist? http://www.onelist.com Come visit our new web site and explore a new interest ------------------------------------------------------------------------ TheWire List Info Page: http://www.msu.edu/user/forddavi/wirelist.html
              • Franco Ingrassia
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 6, 1999
                  the noise section is a little
                  conservative, how about some Merzbow, Dead C, Ascension, Keiji Haino,
                  CCCC, Borbetomagus etc...???

                  Tough I�ve read about some of them, I haven�t heard any of the groups you
                  mentioned. Please, tell me more. And if you like, you could suggest me a
                  tape on more extreme noise.

                  Planeta X
                  Alvear 1079
                  Rosario, Santa Fe
                  2000
                  Argentina
                  Http://come.to/planetax
> [...]
                  >>=20
                  >>side a:
                  >>=20
                  >>in C (edit) (terry riley)
                  >>=20
                  >>side b:
                  >>=20
                  >>music for mallet instruments, voices and organs (steve reich)
                  >>=20
                  >>10. atonal music (34-93)
                  >>=20
                  >>side a:
                  >>=20
                  >>sonatas V-VIII (john cage)
                  >>sextet (edit) (steve reich)
                  >>=20
                  >>side b:
                  >>=20
                  >>six short inventions for seven instruments (john cage)
                  >>tener el aprendiz al sol (juan pablo simoniello)
                  >>
                  >>coming up: dub, psychedelia, bossa nova, post-punk, free jazz....

                • Franco Ingrassia
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 6, 1999
                    On the dub tape, will you differentiating between Jamaican reggae-based dub (King Tubby, Lee Perry, Augustos Pablo +++ would need to be on it) and recent electronica based dub?

                    Well, the tape will include both. (It�s a mix tape after all).

                    here�s some tracks I have selected (so far)

                    1. struggle of like (the disciples)
                    2. falling (scorn)
                    3. bumper ball dub (mad professor)

                    Also, a track from Scorn�s Logghi Barogghi. I think his ambient-dub gets deeper and deeper every time you listen to it...

                    About the classics, �what tracks (and cds) from King Tubby or Lee Scratch Perry do you recommend?

                    Planeta X
                    Alvear 1079
                    Rosario, Santa Fe
                    2000
                    Argentina
                    Http://come.to/planetax
                    Love making tapes such as this myself. Here's some suggestions (based on personal taste obviously) for additions and new genres:

                    >> 3. Krautrock

                    Neu (+ La Dusseldorf and Harmonia), early Popul Vuh, Ash Ra Tempel

                    >> 6. Noise

                    Boredoms should definately be on there; their latest "Boredoms aR" was one of 98s best

                    >> 10. atonal music

                    Have you checked out Harry Partch?

                    >> coming up: dub, psychedelia, bossa nova, post-punk, free jazz....

                    On the dub tape, will you differentiating between Jamaican reggae-based dub (King Tubby, Lee Perry, Augustos Pablo +++ would need to be on it) and recent electronica based dub?

                    What are you putting on the Bossa tape? There's so much incredible Brazilian music that isn't Bossa Nova, that I could probably fill at least 10 tapes of stuff.

                    How about a soundtrack tape? Ennio Morricone (and no, not just the spaghetti westerns), John Barry, Les Baxter (have you heard his "Dunwich Horror" strck? Very cool electronics) etc.

                    And since you have new electronics, how about old electronics? Stockhausens "Hymnen", Subotniks "Silver Apples On The Moon", Pierre Henrys "Messe Pour le Temps Present" + loads and loads of early moog stuff (both easy and serious) could be included.

                    Well that was just a handfull of suggestions off the top of my head.

                    ;-) Per-Christian
                  • Alex Stone
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 6, 1999
                      >About the classics, �what tracks (and cds) from King Tubby or Lee Scratch
                      >>Perry do you recommend? Planeta X

                      The Arkology 4 CD set of Lee Scratch Perry contains some excellent tracks
                      including great production jobs such as War In A Babylon and Police and
                      Thieves, with dub versions, and Perry's own classics such as Roast Fish and
                      Cornbread. Actually, the dub of Roast Fish is pretty damn strong - go for
                      that. Or you could get practically anything off Scratch's Super Ape or
                      Blackboard Jungle.

                      I've not heard anything bad from King Tubby's, but you could try any of the
                      recent reissues on Blood and Fire.

                      And what about Keith Hudson's Pick A Dub (Blood and Fire) - one of the
                      greatest dub recordings IMO.

                      PS: Any Lee Scratch Perry-0-philes out there able to tell me how to get
                      hold of 'Mystic Miracle Star' on CD? I used to have it on vinyl, and I know
                      there is a CD, but I've never seen it.

                      ++++++++++++++++++++++++

                      Alex Stone

                      Concepts/Copy/Design

                      ++++++++++++++++++++++++
                    • Oliver Brice
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 8, 1999
                        >the noise section is a little
                        >conservative, how about some Merzbow, Dead C, Ascension, Keiji Haino,
                        >CCCC, Borbetomagus etc...???
                        >
                        >Tough I�ve read about some of them, I haven�t heard any of the groups
                        you
                        >mentioned. Please, tell me more. And if you like, you could suggest me
                        >tape on more extreme noise.

                        Mezbow and Keiji Haino you must have read about in the "Wire"; Japanese
                        noise, Merzbow mainly electronic whereas Haino uses guitar, voice, hurdy
                        gurdy and other instruments and is more "Rock". Try the canadian label
                        Alien8 for jap noise. CCCC are also japanese noise, but not as harsh
                        as Merzbow. The only album of their's that I have is a live one with no
                        label name.

                        Ascension are an extraordinary noise/improv duo of Stefan Jaworzyn on
                        guitar and Tony Irving on drums, imagine a cross between Hendrix and
                        Derek Bailey...

                        Borbetomagus are 2 saxophonists (Jim Sauter, who sometimes plays in the
                        blue humans, and don dietreich [spelling?]) and Donald Miller on guitar,
                        sort of drony noise with free jazz elements.

                        The Dead C are a New zealand noise band, also guitar based.

                        Also reccomended are A Handfull of Dust and Rudolph Grey. Try the
                        Corpus Hermeticum label for New Zealand noise.

                        Hope thats helpfull/interesting,
                        Olie
                      • werner h. fischer
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 8, 1999
                          if you like hurd gurdy ... you should listen to dominique regef .. take care

                          Oliver Brice wrote:

                          > From: "Oliver Brice" <oliebrice@...>
                          >
                          > >the noise section is a little
                          > >conservative, how about some Merzbow, Dead C, Ascension, Keiji Haino,
                          > >CCCC, Borbetomagus etc...???
                          > >
                          > >Tough I�ve read about some of them, I haven�t heard any of the groups
                          > you
                          > >mentioned. Please, tell me more. And if you like, you could suggest me
                          > >tape on more extreme noise.
                          >
                          > Mezbow and Keiji Haino you must have read about in the "Wire"; Japanese
                          > noise, Merzbow mainly electronic whereas Haino uses guitar, voice, hurdy
                          > gurdy and other instruments and is more "Rock". Try the canadian label
                          > Alien8 for jap noise. CCCC are also japanese noise, but not as harsh
                          > as Merzbow. The only album of their's that I have is a live one with no
                          > label name.
                          >
                          > Ascension are an extraordinary noise/improv duo of Stefan Jaworzyn on
                          > guitar and Tony Irving on drums, imagine a cross between Hendrix and
                          > Derek Bailey...
                          >
                          > Borbetomagus are 2 saxophonists (Jim Sauter, who sometimes plays in the
                          > blue humans, and don dietreich [spelling?]) and Donald Miller on guitar,
                          > sort of drony noise with free jazz elements.
                          >
                          > The Dead C are a New zealand noise band, also guitar based.
                          >
                          > Also reccomended are A Handfull of Dust and Rudolph Grey. Try the
                          > Corpus Hermeticum label for New Zealand noise.
                          >
                          > Hope thats helpfull/interesting,
                          > Olie

                        • Kjetil R|dje
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 8, 1999
                            At 22:16 06.03.99 -0300, you wrote:

                            <excerpt>Why does your post-rock period start in 1993? How about older
                            stuff like: Slint, Codeine, Disco Inferno etc.

                            <smaller>I haven´t heard Slint or Codeine. ¿Do you have any
                            info on them?

                            </smaller></excerpt><<<<<<<<

                            Slint has realeased two albums: "Tweez" & "Spiderland", and one untitled
                            ep (all on Touch & Go).

                            Codeine has realeased three albums "Frigid Stars", "Barly Real" & "The
                            White Birch" (all on Sup Pop).

                            All these albums should be available still.

                            These two american bands did in the late 80's/early 90's very much define
                            what should be later named post-rock. Their influences (and sometimes
                            their former bandmembers) can be heard in bands like June of 44, Tortoise
                            (the first album), Rex, Bedhead, Mogwai etc, as well as in the newer
                            material from bands like Shellac and Fugazi.

                            <excerpt>

                            <smaller>About Disco Inferno, I have listened to their two cds. In my
                            opinion, they are too hipnotized by Joy Division to make a valuable
                            contribuition (specially in the first lp). Do you agree?

                            </smaller></excerpt><<<<<<<<

                            I agree on the point about their Joy Division-inspiration, but I think
                            they managed to find a sound of their own, as you can hear on their "Go
                            Pop"-album. Here they developed their rythmic, electronic elements
                            further.

                            Among other forerunners to the post-rock scene I will mention bands like
                            Main & Flying Saucer Attac, which developed sort of monolithic, ambient
                            version of rock and noise.

                            <excerpt>

                            <smaller>Planeta X

                            Alvear 1079

                            Rosario, Santa Fe

                            2000

                            Argentina

                            <<http://come.to/planetax>Http://come.to/planetax

                            </smaller><excerpt>
                            original-----

                            De:
                            R|dje <<<<mailto:kjetilro@...>kjetilro@...>

                            <bold>Para: </bold><<mailto:thewire@onelist.com>thewire@onelist.com
                            <<<<mailto:thewire@onelist.com>thewire@onelist.com>

                            <bold>Fecha: </bold>Lunes, 01 de Marzo de 1999 12:20 p.m.

                            <bold>Asunto: </bold>[thewire] Re: experimental rock map compilation
                            tapes

                            </smaller></fontfamily>From: Kjetil R|dje

                            Why does your post-rock period start in 1993? How about older stuff like:
                            Slint, Codeine, Disco Inferno etc.

                            At 08:49 28.02.99 -0300, you wrote:

                            <excerpt>

                            2. Post-Rock (93-96)

                            side a:

                            glass museum (tortoise, millions now living will never die)

                            cybele´s reviere (stereolab, emperor tomato ketchup)

                            wedding in the park (gastr del sol, croockt crackt or fly)

                            red river (laika, silver apples from the moon)

                            side b:

                            joker john (moonshake, the sound your eyes can follow)

                            kissing the sun (young gods, only heaven)

                            polyfusion (seefeel, quique)

                            </excerpt>

                            </excerpt>

                            </excerpt><<<<<<<<
                          • Tomppa
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 8, 1999
                              "Mystic Miracle Star" and several other Lee Perry/Upsetters CD's can be
                              ordered from Cheap-CDs (http://cheap-cds.com/surf/home)
                              Tomppa

                              Alex Stone wrote:

                              > From: Alex Stone <alex@astone.u-net.com>
                              >
                              > >About the classics, �what tracks (and cds) from King Tubby or Lee Scratch
                              > >>Perry do you recommend? Planeta X
                              >
                              > The Arkology 4 CD set of Lee Scratch Perry contains some excellent tracks
                              > including great production jobs such as War In A Babylon and Police and
                              > Thieves, with dub versions, and Perry's own classics such as Roast Fish and
                              > Cornbread. Actually, the dub of Roast Fish is pretty damn strong - go for
                              > that. Or you could get practically anything off Scratch's Super Ape or
                              > Blackboard Jungle.
                              >
                              > I've not heard anything bad from King Tubby's, but you could try any of the
                              > recent reissues on Blood and Fire.
                              >
                              > And what about Keith Hudson's Pick A Dub (Blood and Fire) - one of the
                              > greatest dub recordings IMO.
                              >
                              > PS: Any Lee Scratch Perry-0-philes out there able to tell me how to get
                              > hold of 'Mystic Miracle Star' on CD? I used to have it on vinyl, and I know
                              > there is a CD, but I've never seen it.
                              >
                              > ++++++++++++++++++++++++
                              >
                              > Alex Stone
                              >
                              > Concepts/Copy/Design

                            • Benito Vergara
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 9, 1999

                                And then Franco (I think) wrote:

                                > >Tough I�ve read about some of them, I haven�t heard any of the groups
                                > you
                                > >mentioned. Please, tell me more. And if you like, you could suggest me
                                > >tape on more extreme noise.

                                Merzbow is, I guess, generally considered the leading figure in noise -- at
                                least ever since noise became a genre in itself, splintering off from
                                industrial music. There's a "Merzbox Sampler" floating around -- a sampler
                                off the forthcoming colossal Merzbox -- which has a good variety of Merzbow,
                                from surreal(ist) collages to massive blocks of pure squelch. "Music for
                                Bondage Performance" also has a bit more variety, and somewhat more quiet.

                                Quite frankly, I don't see much of a reason to own more than two Merzbow
                                albums, but that's just me. "Electric Salad," for instance, is one of the
                                few albums I own which I dread putting into the CD player, just because of
                                the thought of "God, I'm going to have sit through this again." Which is
                                *not* a bad thing by any means, though, but it is difficult to listen to
                                more than a hour of power-electronics. But the experience is completely
                                worth it: wave after violent wave of drills, shrieks, rumbles, howls,
                                buzzes, machines about to overload, and beating you (and that ring
                                modulator) into submission.

                                I happen to like Aube better (yet another Japanese noise guy), who makes
                                similar noise (though a more soothing kind) out of different sound sources
                                (glow lamps, heartbeats, water, wire, metal, pages from the Bible) -- the
                                problem is that the track structures are very repetitive and hardly vary
                                from album to album.

                                As for Keiji Haino, there have been a few posts on him already. I'm not
                                sure, though, if he would consider himself as a noise artist. I think that
                                the folks at The Wire would recommend one of those Fushitsusha double live
                                albums, but they're pretty pricey and so I haven't heard them yet. "The
                                Caution Approaches" is nice and loud, with pummeling yet gentle guitar
                                riffs.

                                Later,
                                Ben

                                np: pixies, "trompe le monde"

                                http://www.bigfoot.com/~bvergara/
                                ICQ# 12832406
                              • Franco Ingrassia
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 9, 1999
                                  Thanks to everyone who wrote about the noise bands.
                                  I�ve found the info both helpful and interesting. I�m going to check this
                                  stuff.

                                  >the noise section is a little conservative, how about some Merzbow, >Dead
                                  C, Ascension, Keiji Haino, CCCC, Borbetomagus etc...???

                                  Now I understand. You call "noise" to an especific post-industrial
                                  development.
                                  When I put the noise tape together I was thinking more of the noise-rock
                                  produced in the late 80s and early 90s, with Sonic Youth and My Bloody
                                  Valentine as the main references.

                                  Franco.

                                  Planeta X
                                  Alvear 1079
                                  Rosario, Santa Fe
                                  2000
                                  Argentina
                                  Http://come.to/planetax

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 12, 1999
                                    i was wondering if there were any plans to circulate all these listings of
                                    "maps" to subscribers of the list? it would seem an awfully strange debate
                                    without being able to hear the most common or achetypal examples of post rock,
                                    dub, noise, and whatever discursive genre seems to be in question this
                                    minuten.

                                    dag,

                                    marc