Re: studio (re)visionism

  • Rhys Chatham
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 1999
      >From: Nick Rothwell <nick@...>
      >
      >> I think the "MAXimalism" reference was a a very funny joke. It is like
      >> saying someone is a "ProTooler" or "SoundHacker" or a
      >> "StudioVisionist."
      >
      >Agreed. My reply was in humour as well. Hence the word "ooh."
      >
      >> And please quit your plugs to buy your album!!!
      >
      >Why? Is it any worse than the interminable press releases and trade lists?

      I'm with Nick! I'm glad to know that he has a new CD out, which will
      enable me to check out new trends in (max)imalism. (I'm a studio
      (re)visionist myself, but I like to keep tabs on the competition!).

      Other business: Is Pauline Oliveros' piece, I of IV, considered to be in
      the minimalist genre? I always thought of it as the grandmother of all
      feedback/loop pieces and hadn't considered its minimalist aspect. Thanks.

      best,

      Rhys
    • Randy Gelling
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1 4:18 PM
        On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Rhys Chatham wrote:

        > Rhys Chatham <Rhys.Chatham@...>

        > Other business: Is Pauline Oliveros' piece, I of IV, considered to be in
        > the minimalist genre? I always thought of it as the grandmother of all
        > feedback/loop pieces and hadn't considered its minimalist aspect. Thanks.

        I of IV is simply great. I'm not really interested in the minimalist
        debate, but also, what about Oliveros' use of the turntable as a collage
        instrument in the equally beautiful Bye, Bye Butterfly? I still think
        she hasn't been given the wider recognition she is deserving. What about
        a Wire primer? Has one been done?