Re: still seeking SONAR dates!

  • Danny Gromfin
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 1999
      June 17, 18, 19

      check out http://www.sonar.es

    • Auricle Communications
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 1999
        Does anyone know the dates to this years SONAR in barcelona?
      • Herbert Struyf
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 1999
          Hi,

          Sonar '99 will take place on June 17, 18 and 19.

          I was there last year and had a blast.

          The program was split up between afternoon sessions (more
          "experimental") at the CCCB (beautiful contemporary-culture center in
          the heart of the city) and night sessions (more "popular") in and around
          some kind of huge sports center on the beach just outside the center.
          Saw great performances by Mouse On Mars (no live drummer nor bassist,
          but the best show I ever saw them playing), Farmers Manual, Neotropic,
          Pan Sonic, Mika Vainio (in the Chill-Out zone, dropping scratchy old dub
          7"'s using 1 turntable only), Kraftwerk (nostalgia), Le Car, Jeff Mills
          (shredded the woofers of quite a few speakers during his set), Jimi
          Tenor (on a horse), ...

          Apart from the CCCB's three stages (chill-out in a tent / main stage in
          open-air / another large stage at -1 level for the acts who use
          images/film) there was also a market for labels, shops, magazines, etc.
          to sell/promote stuff, one could check out the newest audio equipment at
          a "technological demo" expo, there was a big multimedia space and a
          small cinema (saw the excellent Modulations documentary) below street
          level, and there were panel discussions (including one hosted by The
          Wire on "Women in Music" if I remember correctly) going on in one of the
          building's meeting rooms...

          At the other location, the biggest acts (Kraftwerk, Mills, Garnier)
          played inside the huge aquarium-like main building, while there was
          usually more interesting stuff going on outside, near the beach...

          Add to this the beautiful weather, the *very* relaxed atmosphere and the
          fact that all of this happens in Barcelona (one of Europe's greatest
          cities), and you'll probably agree with me that the difference between
          SONAR and those Belgian/Dutch/German/British/Danish
          how-muddy-can-I-get-in-one-hour summer festivals could not be larger :-)

          -- herbert