Re: post-ism

  • John Everall
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 1999

      (Rhys Chatham wrote) :
      > > because jungle music will have a very specific connotation to the group
      > > of people who actually made the music and for those who danced to it and
      > > otherwise participated in the rite, who risked their lives going to
      > > bombed-out squat parties and woodland environments and who, essentially,
      > > lived through the exerience, rather than intellectualize about it after
      > > the fact.
      >
      > oh, please. the nostalgia for authenticity here is just a little too
      > much. "who risked their lives going to bombed-out squat parties"?!

      Actually, Philip, those "woodland environments" could be pretty hazardous. Badger attacks on
      Jungle afficianados were more commonplace than is generally realized. And if an event was held
      in Cornwall, there was always the possibility that one could face ontological erasure at the
      hands(?) of the dreaded Owlman.
      But I have to agree with you in all seriousness. Squat gigs were a bit more dangerous in the
      heady days of Crass, et al, when suffering a beating at the hands of the police or Nazi skins
      was a reality one had to cope with...

      regards,

      Several.