Re: Derrick May

  • John Everall
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 26, 1999
      Oeivind Idsoe wrote:

      > From: Oeivind Idsoe <oivind.idso@...>

      > I agree that the "Innovator" title is beyond pretentious. But Wagner was a nazi
      > and people are still able to listen to his music (exclude me, though -- as W.
      > Allen said: "makes me wanna invade Poland"). 20th century art criticism has at
      > least taught us to keep the artist seperated from his/her work, and I think May
      > should be shown the same mercy/honour/whatever.

      Wagner wasn't a Nazi as he died several decades prior to the formation of the National
      Soialist Party. He was, however, an anti-Semite, and a profound influence on Adolf
      Hitler. Wagner's son-in-law, Houston Stewart Chamberlain, was actually more influential
      as far as the development of Nazi ideology was concerned. Chamberlain was a distinctly
      odd character, possessed of a first-rate intellect, yet twisted by irrational hatred of
      certain races. He wrote a number of books which he claimed were dictacted by demons.
      Reminds me of some of the musicians I know (the demonic possession bit, that is:-).

      Talking of separating an artist's personality and their work, I recall Steve Albini
      saying one of his favourite bands was Screwdriver! I think he may have been trying to
      wind-up an NME journalist at the time...

      regards,

      John Everall

      http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~john.sentrax/