Re: [thewire] ADMIN: end of the list?

  • Andrew Cox
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
      Please don't kill the list (yet). All the music lists that I am on
      seem to be going through a hiatus at the mo'. And I really don't know
      why. There's loads of fantastic music out there. The problem has to be
      amongst the contributors - the list needs a kick start...

      OK - here's an obvious subject for discussion - why aren't people
      posting to the list?

      I'm currently listing to the Cilibrinas Do Eden album - finally released
      after many years. It's a side project by Rita Lee of Os Mutantes,
      recorded in 1973. And it is brilliant (and I'm not an Os Mutantes
      fan). Recently I've been hunting down a lot of obscure stuff on You
      Tube - it's amazing what one can find. For example:

      Slint - Good Morning, Captain

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJYQvOwokjU

      Etron Fou LeLoublan - Eva

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGjSL8Rpjbs

      The God Machine - Home

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsmq0UJa0ZI

      Enormously underrated band.

      Fujiya & Miyagi - Collarbone

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBndXAaPrw

      etc., etc.

      Oh, and for cricket fans out there - Aggers and Johnners:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k0qZDdfvZk
    • José María Bermejo
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
        Hello, I think that a mail list in 2008 is something sort of out of time.
        Why not end the list sharing the music forums, bbs, blogs somehow related to
        The Wire that we could use as an alternative.

        2008/6/25 Andrew Cox <thewire@...>:

        > Please don't kill the list (yet). All the music lists that I am on
        > seem to be going through a hiatus at the mo'. And I really don't know
        > why. There's loads of fantastic music out there. The problem has to be
        > amongst the contributors - the list needs a kick start...
        >
        > OK - here's an obvious subject for discussion - why aren't people
        > posting to the list?
        >
        > I'm currently listing to the Cilibrinas Do Eden album - finally released
        > after many years. It's a side project by Rita Lee of Os Mutantes,
        > recorded in 1973. And it is brilliant (and I'm not an Os Mutantes
        > fan). Recently I've been hunting down a lot of obscure stuff on You
        > Tube - it's amazing what one can find. For example:
        >
        > Slint - Good Morning, Captain
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJYQvOwokjU
        >
        > Etron Fou LeLoublan - Eva
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGjSL8Rpjbs
        >
        > The God Machine - Home
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsmq0UJa0ZI
        >
        > Enormously underrated band.
        >
        > Fujiya & Miyagi - Collarbone
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBndXAaPrw
        >
        > etc., etc.
        >
        > Oh, and for cricket fans out there - Aggers and Johnners:
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k0qZDdfvZk

        Un saludo,
        Pepe

      • jamie hills
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
          thanks for your efforts since conception,
          my advicekill it quick, stone dead, save it from a long and painful death

          best wishes

          To: thewire@yahoogroups.comFrom: jmbermejo@...: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:17:24 +0200Subject: Re: [thewire] ADMIN: end of the list?

          Hello, I think that a mail list in 2008 is something sort of out of time.Why not end the list sharing the music forums, bbs, blogs somehow related toThe Wire that we could use as an alternative.2008/6/25 Andrew Cox <thewire@...>:> Please don't kill the list (yet). All the music lists that I am on> seem to be going through a hiatus at the mo'. And I really don't know> why. There's loads of fantastic music out there. The problem has to be> amongst the contributors - the list needs a kick start...>> OK - here's an obvious subject for discussion - why aren't people> posting to the list?>> I'm currently listing to the Cilibrinas Do Eden album - finally released> after many years. It's a side project by Rita Lee of Os Mutantes,> recorded in 1973. And it is brilliant (and I'm not an Os Mutantes> fan). Recently I've been hunting down a lot of obscure stuff on You> Tube - it's amazing what one can find. For example:>> Slint - Good Morning, Captain>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJYQvOwokjU>> Etron Fou LeLoublan - Eva>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGjSL8Rpjbs>> The God Machine - Home>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsmq0UJa0ZI>> Enormously underrated band.>> Fujiya & Miyagi - Collarbone>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBndXAaPrw>> etc., etc.>> Oh, and for cricket fans out there - Aggers and Johnners:>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k0qZDdfvZk>>> ------------------------------------>> _______________________________________________> the wire mailing list> post: thewire@yahoogroups.com> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thewire/Yahoo! Groups Links>>>>-- Un saludo,Pepe[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

        • Jon Attwood
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
            of course it'll be sad to see it go, but it's mostly (ab)used by people like
            me for advertising their wares these days, interesting as that may be for
            some, i can understand the decision - and second the thanks for your work

            jon/yellow6

            - y e l l o w 6 -
            <http://www.yellow6.com/> www.yellow6.com

            - make mine music -
            www.makeminemusic.co.uk <http://www.makeminemusic.co.uk/>

            - MySpace -
            www.myspace.com/jonyellow6

          • jamello@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
              i haven'tpaid attention to this lis in years, sorry.? is there a "the wire" board (maybe something like dissensus) where we can have discussion?? that seems easier email.

              jack

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 26, 2008
                There's the USENET group rec.music.experimental, which is even more
                dead that this list. See also alt.noise. I wonder where everybody has
                gone, or whether they've just stopped talking...

                Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 3:17:24 PM, José wrote:

                > Hello, I think that a mail list in 2008 is something sort of out of time.
                > Why not end the list sharing the music forums, bbs, blogs somehow related to
                > The Wire that we could use as an alternative.
              • Keith Berry
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 29, 2008
                  This list is worth keeping for the "Wreck This Mess" posts from I
                  think Laurent Diouf. Always interesting & insightful, thank you for
                  your words.

                  Keith Berry
                • Andrew Cox
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 29, 2008
                    Um... is this THE Keith Berry? If so, thank you for such wonderful
                    music. "The Ear That Was Sold To A Fish" is particularly superb.

                    Sunday, June 29, 2008, 11:30:29 AM, Keith wrote:

                    > This list is worth keeping for the "Wreck This Mess" posts from I
                    > think Laurent Diouf. Always interesting & insightful, thank you for
                    > your words.

                    > Keith Berry
                  • Keith Berry
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 29, 2008
                      Thanks Andrew, Baz Nichols remixed some material of mine recently,
                      which I can recommend, goto
                      http://www.twoinchesofftheground.com/fourm.html

                      > Um... is this THE Keith Berry? If so, thank you for such wonderful
                      > music. "The Ear That Was Sold To A Fish" is particularly superb.
                      >

                      > Sunday, June 29, 2008, 11:30:29 AM, Keith wrote:
                      >
                      > > This list is worth keeping for the "Wreck This Mess" posts from I
                      > > think Laurent Diouf. Always interesting & insightful, thank you for
                      > > your words.
                      >
                      > > Keith Berry

                    • gradyfinklemyer
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008