Re: ADMIN: end of the list?

  • Jason Gross
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
      Hi Andrew,

      I just wanted to thank you for doing this list. It's been a great
      source of info.

      Cheers,
      Jason
    • Andrew Cox
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
        Please don't kill the list (yet). All the music lists that I am on
        seem to be going through a hiatus at the mo'. And I really don't know
        why. There's loads of fantastic music out there. The problem has to be
        amongst the contributors - the list needs a kick start...

        OK - here's an obvious subject for discussion - why aren't people
        posting to the list?

        I'm currently listing to the Cilibrinas Do Eden album - finally released
        after many years. It's a side project by Rita Lee of Os Mutantes,
        recorded in 1973. And it is brilliant (and I'm not an Os Mutantes
        fan). Recently I've been hunting down a lot of obscure stuff on You
        Tube - it's amazing what one can find. For example:

        Slint - Good Morning, Captain

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJYQvOwokjU

        Etron Fou LeLoublan - Eva

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGjSL8Rpjbs

        The God Machine - Home

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsmq0UJa0ZI

        Enormously underrated band.

        Fujiya & Miyagi - Collarbone

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBndXAaPrw

        etc., etc.

        Oh, and for cricket fans out there - Aggers and Johnners:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k0qZDdfvZk
      • José María Bermejo
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
          Hello, I think that a mail list in 2008 is something sort of out of time.
          Why not end the list sharing the music forums, bbs, blogs somehow related to
          The Wire that we could use as an alternative.

          2008/6/25 Andrew Cox <thewire@...>:

          > Please don't kill the list (yet). All the music lists that I am on
          > seem to be going through a hiatus at the mo'. And I really don't know
          > why. There's loads of fantastic music out there. The problem has to be
          > amongst the contributors - the list needs a kick start...
          >
          > OK - here's an obvious subject for discussion - why aren't people
          > posting to the list?
          >
          > I'm currently listing to the Cilibrinas Do Eden album - finally released
          > after many years. It's a side project by Rita Lee of Os Mutantes,
          > recorded in 1973. And it is brilliant (and I'm not an Os Mutantes
          > fan). Recently I've been hunting down a lot of obscure stuff on You
          > Tube - it's amazing what one can find. For example:
          >
          > Slint - Good Morning, Captain
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJYQvOwokjU
          >
          > Etron Fou LeLoublan - Eva
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGjSL8Rpjbs
          >
          > The God Machine - Home
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsmq0UJa0ZI
          >
          > Enormously underrated band.
          >
          > Fujiya & Miyagi - Collarbone
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBndXAaPrw
          >
          > etc., etc.
          >
          > Oh, and for cricket fans out there - Aggers and Johnners:
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k0qZDdfvZk

          Un saludo,
          Pepe

        • jamie hills
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
            thanks for your efforts since conception,
            my advicekill it quick, stone dead, save it from a long and painful death

            best wishes

            To: thewire@yahoogroups.comFrom: jmbermejo@...: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:17:24 +0200Subject: Re: [thewire] ADMIN: end of the list?

            Hello, I think that a mail list in 2008 is something sort of out of time.Why not end the list sharing the music forums, bbs, blogs somehow related toThe Wire that we could use as an alternative.2008/6/25 Andrew Cox <thewire@...>:> Please don't kill the list (yet). All the music lists that I am on> seem to be going through a hiatus at the mo'. And I really don't know> why. There's loads of fantastic music out there. The problem has to be> amongst the contributors - the list needs a kick start...>> OK - here's an obvious subject for discussion - why aren't people> posting to the list?>> I'm currently listing to the Cilibrinas Do Eden album - finally released> after many years. It's a side project by Rita Lee of Os Mutantes,> recorded in 1973. And it is brilliant (and I'm not an Os Mutantes> fan). Recently I've been hunting down a lot of obscure stuff on You> Tube - it's amazing what one can find. For example:>> Slint - Good Morning, Captain>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJYQvOwokjU>> Etron Fou LeLoublan - Eva>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGjSL8Rpjbs>> The God Machine - Home>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsmq0UJa0ZI>> Enormously underrated band.>> Fujiya & Miyagi - Collarbone>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBndXAaPrw>> etc., etc.>> Oh, and for cricket fans out there - Aggers and Johnners:>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k0qZDdfvZk>>> ------------------------------------>> _______________________________________________> the wire mailing list> post: thewire@yahoogroups.com> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thewire/Yahoo! Groups Links>>>>-- Un saludo,Pepe[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          • Jon Attwood
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
              of course it'll be sad to see it go, but it's mostly (ab)used by people like
              me for advertising their wares these days, interesting as that may be for
              some, i can understand the decision - and second the thanks for your work

              jon/yellow6

              - y e l l o w 6 -
              <http://www.yellow6.com/> www.yellow6.com

              - make mine music -
              www.makeminemusic.co.uk <http://www.makeminemusic.co.uk/>

              - MySpace -
              www.myspace.com/jonyellow6

            • jamello@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
                i haven'tpaid attention to this lis in years, sorry.? is there a "the wire" board (maybe something like dissensus) where we can have discussion?? that seems easier email.

                jack

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 26, 2008
                  There's the USENET group rec.music.experimental, which is even more
                  dead that this list. See also alt.noise. I wonder where everybody has
                  gone, or whether they've just stopped talking...

                  Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 3:17:24 PM, José wrote:

                  > Hello, I think that a mail list in 2008 is something sort of out of time.
                  > Why not end the list sharing the music forums, bbs, blogs somehow related to
                  > The Wire that we could use as an alternative.
                • Keith Berry
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 29, 2008
                    This list is worth keeping for the "Wreck This Mess" posts from I
                    think Laurent Diouf. Always interesting & insightful, thank you for
                    your words.

                    Keith Berry
                  • Andrew Cox
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 29, 2008
                      Um... is this THE Keith Berry? If so, thank you for such wonderful
                      music. "The Ear That Was Sold To A Fish" is particularly superb.

                      Sunday, June 29, 2008, 11:30:29 AM, Keith wrote:

                      > This list is worth keeping for the "Wreck This Mess" posts from I
                      > think Laurent Diouf. Always interesting & insightful, thank you for
                      > your words.

                      > Keith Berry
                    • Keith Berry
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 29, 2008
                        Thanks Andrew, Baz Nichols remixed some material of mine recently,
                        which I can recommend, goto
                        http://www.twoinchesofftheground.com/fourm.html

                        > Um... is this THE Keith Berry? If so, thank you for such wonderful
                        > music. "The Ear That Was Sold To A Fish" is particularly superb.
                        >

                        > Sunday, June 29, 2008, 11:30:29 AM, Keith wrote:
                        >
                        > > This list is worth keeping for the "Wreck This Mess" posts from I
                        > > think Laurent Diouf. Always interesting & insightful, thank you for
                        > > your words.
                        >
                        > > Keith Berry

                      • gradyfinklemyer
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008