Re: [thewire] ADMIN: end of the list?

  • Carrera Rudolph
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 24, 2008
      You did yeoman's work on this list. It'll be missed. It was a fine
      place to learn about new music.

      Many thanks for the efforts.

      Regards,

      Rudolph Carrera
      http://clcx.org
      http://rudycarrera.com/
      http://myspace.com/racarrera
      http://en.towerofbabel.com/blog

      On Jun 23, 2008, at 7:46 PM, a_j_fleming wrote:

      > Hi everybody, your friendly moderator here,
      >
      > The list first picked up steam just over 10 years ago (10? I was in
      > college!). Most of these types of discussions moved to other kinds of
      > spaces shortly after the great Web 2.0 internet buzzword maelstrom
      > started, but I hesitated to pull the plug prematurely. Now that we're
      > at our lowest ebb (fewer than 30 messages per month), it seems
      > appropriate to close up shop. After all, we haven't been listed in
      > the mag for at least 5 years.
      >
      > I'm going to let this sit for a week just to make sure anybody who
      > wants can offer their thoughts on the matter, and then I will turn off
      > life support around next Monday evening. I'll switch the list over to
      > announcements-only (no posts from members) and sort out archives and
      > whatnot later.
      >
      > If you're looking to get your final shot off in the lawn furniture
      > that plays 4'33" thread of 2001 or want one last chance to call me,
      > Kraig O'Grady, or Davis Ford a Nazi, you've got one week to do so in a
      > public forum. Or if you're secretly Keith McColl subscribed under
      > some alias, please post one last time because it would personally
      > amuse me. Thanks and good evening to all 1366 of you.
      >
      > cheers,
      > Andrew

    • Jason Gross
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
        Hi Andrew,

        I just wanted to thank you for doing this list. It's been a great
        source of info.

        Cheers,
        Jason
      • Andrew Cox
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
          Please don't kill the list (yet). All the music lists that I am on
          seem to be going through a hiatus at the mo'. And I really don't know
          why. There's loads of fantastic music out there. The problem has to be
          amongst the contributors - the list needs a kick start...

          OK - here's an obvious subject for discussion - why aren't people
          posting to the list?

          I'm currently listing to the Cilibrinas Do Eden album - finally released
          after many years. It's a side project by Rita Lee of Os Mutantes,
          recorded in 1973. And it is brilliant (and I'm not an Os Mutantes
          fan). Recently I've been hunting down a lot of obscure stuff on You
          Tube - it's amazing what one can find. For example:

          Slint - Good Morning, Captain

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJYQvOwokjU

          Etron Fou LeLoublan - Eva

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGjSL8Rpjbs

          The God Machine - Home

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsmq0UJa0ZI

          Enormously underrated band.

          Fujiya & Miyagi - Collarbone

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBndXAaPrw

          etc., etc.

          Oh, and for cricket fans out there - Aggers and Johnners:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k0qZDdfvZk
        • José María Bermejo
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
            Hello, I think that a mail list in 2008 is something sort of out of time.
            Why not end the list sharing the music forums, bbs, blogs somehow related to
            The Wire that we could use as an alternative.

            2008/6/25 Andrew Cox <thewire@...>:

            > Please don't kill the list (yet). All the music lists that I am on
            > seem to be going through a hiatus at the mo'. And I really don't know
            > why. There's loads of fantastic music out there. The problem has to be
            > amongst the contributors - the list needs a kick start...
            >
            > OK - here's an obvious subject for discussion - why aren't people
            > posting to the list?
            >
            > I'm currently listing to the Cilibrinas Do Eden album - finally released
            > after many years. It's a side project by Rita Lee of Os Mutantes,
            > recorded in 1973. And it is brilliant (and I'm not an Os Mutantes
            > fan). Recently I've been hunting down a lot of obscure stuff on You
            > Tube - it's amazing what one can find. For example:
            >
            > Slint - Good Morning, Captain
            >
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJYQvOwokjU
            >
            > Etron Fou LeLoublan - Eva
            >
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGjSL8Rpjbs
            >
            > The God Machine - Home
            >
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsmq0UJa0ZI
            >
            > Enormously underrated band.
            >
            > Fujiya & Miyagi - Collarbone
            >
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBndXAaPrw
            >
            > etc., etc.
            >
            > Oh, and for cricket fans out there - Aggers and Johnners:
            >
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k0qZDdfvZk

            Un saludo,
            Pepe

          • jamie hills
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
              thanks for your efforts since conception,
              my advicekill it quick, stone dead, save it from a long and painful death

              best wishes

              To: thewire@yahoogroups.comFrom: jmbermejo@...: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:17:24 +0200Subject: Re: [thewire] ADMIN: end of the list?

              Hello, I think that a mail list in 2008 is something sort of out of time.Why not end the list sharing the music forums, bbs, blogs somehow related toThe Wire that we could use as an alternative.2008/6/25 Andrew Cox <thewire@...>:> Please don't kill the list (yet). All the music lists that I am on> seem to be going through a hiatus at the mo'. And I really don't know> why. There's loads of fantastic music out there. The problem has to be> amongst the contributors - the list needs a kick start...>> OK - here's an obvious subject for discussion - why aren't people> posting to the list?>> I'm currently listing to the Cilibrinas Do Eden album - finally released> after many years. It's a side project by Rita Lee of Os Mutantes,> recorded in 1973. And it is brilliant (and I'm not an Os Mutantes> fan). Recently I've been hunting down a lot of obscure stuff on You> Tube - it's amazing what one can find. For example:>> Slint - Good Morning, Captain>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJYQvOwokjU>> Etron Fou LeLoublan - Eva>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGjSL8Rpjbs>> The God Machine - Home>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsmq0UJa0ZI>> Enormously underrated band.>> Fujiya & Miyagi - Collarbone>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBndXAaPrw>> etc., etc.>> Oh, and for cricket fans out there - Aggers and Johnners:>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k0qZDdfvZk>>> ------------------------------------>> _______________________________________________> the wire mailing list> post: thewire@yahoogroups.com> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thewire/Yahoo! Groups Links>>>>-- Un saludo,Pepe[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

            • Jon Attwood
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
                of course it'll be sad to see it go, but it's mostly (ab)used by people like
                me for advertising their wares these days, interesting as that may be for
                some, i can understand the decision - and second the thanks for your work

                jon/yellow6

                - y e l l o w 6 -
                <http://www.yellow6.com/> www.yellow6.com

                - make mine music -
                www.makeminemusic.co.uk <http://www.makeminemusic.co.uk/>

                - MySpace -
                www.myspace.com/jonyellow6

              • jamello@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
                  i haven'tpaid attention to this lis in years, sorry.? is there a "the wire" board (maybe something like dissensus) where we can have discussion?? that seems easier email.

                  jack

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 26, 2008
                    There's the USENET group rec.music.experimental, which is even more
                    dead that this list. See also alt.noise. I wonder where everybody has
                    gone, or whether they've just stopped talking...

                    Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 3:17:24 PM, José wrote:

                    > Hello, I think that a mail list in 2008 is something sort of out of time.
                    > Why not end the list sharing the music forums, bbs, blogs somehow related to
                    > The Wire that we could use as an alternative.
                  • Keith Berry
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 29, 2008
                      This list is worth keeping for the "Wreck This Mess" posts from I
                      think Laurent Diouf. Always interesting & insightful, thank you for
                      your words.

                      Keith Berry
                    • Andrew Cox
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 29, 2008
                        Um... is this THE Keith Berry? If so, thank you for such wonderful
                        music. "The Ear That Was Sold To A Fish" is particularly superb.

                        Sunday, June 29, 2008, 11:30:29 AM, Keith wrote:

                        > This list is worth keeping for the "Wreck This Mess" posts from I
                        > think Laurent Diouf. Always interesting & insightful, thank you for
                        > your words.

                        > Keith Berry
                      • Keith Berry
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 29, 2008
                          Thanks Andrew, Baz Nichols remixed some material of mine recently,
                          which I can recommend, goto
                          http://www.twoinchesofftheground.com/fourm.html

                          > Um... is this THE Keith Berry? If so, thank you for such wonderful
                          > music. "The Ear That Was Sold To A Fish" is particularly superb.
                          >

                          > Sunday, June 29, 2008, 11:30:29 AM, Keith wrote:
                          >
                          > > This list is worth keeping for the "Wreck This Mess" posts from I
                          > > think Laurent Diouf. Always interesting & insightful, thank you for
                          > > your words.
                          >
                          > > Keith Berry

                        • gradyfinklemyer
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008