ADMIN: end of the list?

  • a_j_fleming
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 23, 2008
      Hi everybody, your friendly moderator here,

      The list first picked up steam just over 10 years ago (10? I was in
      college!). Most of these types of discussions moved to other kinds of
      spaces shortly after the great Web 2.0 internet buzzword maelstrom
      started, but I hesitated to pull the plug prematurely. Now that we're
      at our lowest ebb (fewer than 30 messages per month), it seems
      appropriate to close up shop. After all, we haven't been listed in
      the mag for at least 5 years.

      I'm going to let this sit for a week just to make sure anybody who
      wants can offer their thoughts on the matter, and then I will turn off
      life support around next Monday evening. I'll switch the list over to
      announcements-only (no posts from members) and sort out archives and
      whatnot later.

      If you're looking to get your final shot off in the lawn furniture
      that plays 4'33" thread of 2001 or want one last chance to call me,
      Kraig O'Grady, or Davis Ford a Nazi, you've got one week to do so in a
      public forum. Or if you're secretly Keith McColl subscribed under
      some alias, please post one last time because it would personally
      amuse me. Thanks and good evening to all 1366 of you.

      cheers,
      Andrew
    • spelias@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 24, 2008
        Hey Nazi:

        Please don't kill the list--it's been a vital resource of info to me over
        the years.

        We can revitalize it!

        Thanks anyway,

        alias elias

        _http://www.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/n_the/sci/sciams.html_
        (http://www.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/n_the/sci/sciams.html)

      • Carrera Rudolph
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 24, 2008
          You did yeoman's work on this list. It'll be missed. It was a fine
          place to learn about new music.

          Many thanks for the efforts.

          Regards,

          Rudolph Carrera
          http://clcx.org
          http://rudycarrera.com/
          http://myspace.com/racarrera
          http://en.towerofbabel.com/blog

          On Jun 23, 2008, at 7:46 PM, a_j_fleming wrote:

          > Hi everybody, your friendly moderator here,
          >
          > The list first picked up steam just over 10 years ago (10? I was in
          > college!). Most of these types of discussions moved to other kinds of
          > spaces shortly after the great Web 2.0 internet buzzword maelstrom
          > started, but I hesitated to pull the plug prematurely. Now that we're
          > at our lowest ebb (fewer than 30 messages per month), it seems
          > appropriate to close up shop. After all, we haven't been listed in
          > the mag for at least 5 years.
          >
          > I'm going to let this sit for a week just to make sure anybody who
          > wants can offer their thoughts on the matter, and then I will turn off
          > life support around next Monday evening. I'll switch the list over to
          > announcements-only (no posts from members) and sort out archives and
          > whatnot later.
          >
          > If you're looking to get your final shot off in the lawn furniture
          > that plays 4'33" thread of 2001 or want one last chance to call me,
          > Kraig O'Grady, or Davis Ford a Nazi, you've got one week to do so in a
          > public forum. Or if you're secretly Keith McColl subscribed under
          > some alias, please post one last time because it would personally
          > amuse me. Thanks and good evening to all 1366 of you.
          >
          > cheers,
          > Andrew

        • Jason Gross
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
            Hi Andrew,

            I just wanted to thank you for doing this list. It's been a great
            source of info.

            Cheers,
            Jason
          • Andrew Cox
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
              Please don't kill the list (yet). All the music lists that I am on
              seem to be going through a hiatus at the mo'. And I really don't know
              why. There's loads of fantastic music out there. The problem has to be
              amongst the contributors - the list needs a kick start...

              OK - here's an obvious subject for discussion - why aren't people
              posting to the list?

              I'm currently listing to the Cilibrinas Do Eden album - finally released
              after many years. It's a side project by Rita Lee of Os Mutantes,
              recorded in 1973. And it is brilliant (and I'm not an Os Mutantes
              fan). Recently I've been hunting down a lot of obscure stuff on You
              Tube - it's amazing what one can find. For example:

              Slint - Good Morning, Captain

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJYQvOwokjU

              Etron Fou LeLoublan - Eva

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGjSL8Rpjbs

              The God Machine - Home

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsmq0UJa0ZI

              Enormously underrated band.

              Fujiya & Miyagi - Collarbone

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBndXAaPrw

              etc., etc.

              Oh, and for cricket fans out there - Aggers and Johnners:

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k0qZDdfvZk
            • José María Bermejo
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
                Hello, I think that a mail list in 2008 is something sort of out of time.
                Why not end the list sharing the music forums, bbs, blogs somehow related to
                The Wire that we could use as an alternative.

                2008/6/25 Andrew Cox <thewire@...>:

                > Please don't kill the list (yet). All the music lists that I am on
                > seem to be going through a hiatus at the mo'. And I really don't know
                > why. There's loads of fantastic music out there. The problem has to be
                > amongst the contributors - the list needs a kick start...
                >
                > OK - here's an obvious subject for discussion - why aren't people
                > posting to the list?
                >
                > I'm currently listing to the Cilibrinas Do Eden album - finally released
                > after many years. It's a side project by Rita Lee of Os Mutantes,
                > recorded in 1973. And it is brilliant (and I'm not an Os Mutantes
                > fan). Recently I've been hunting down a lot of obscure stuff on You
                > Tube - it's amazing what one can find. For example:
                >
                > Slint - Good Morning, Captain
                >
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJYQvOwokjU
                >
                > Etron Fou LeLoublan - Eva
                >
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGjSL8Rpjbs
                >
                > The God Machine - Home
                >
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsmq0UJa0ZI
                >
                > Enormously underrated band.
                >
                > Fujiya & Miyagi - Collarbone
                >
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBndXAaPrw
                >
                > etc., etc.
                >
                > Oh, and for cricket fans out there - Aggers and Johnners:
                >
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k0qZDdfvZk

                Un saludo,
                Pepe

              • jamie hills
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
                  thanks for your efforts since conception,
                  my advicekill it quick, stone dead, save it from a long and painful death

                  best wishes

                  To: thewire@yahoogroups.comFrom: jmbermejo@...: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:17:24 +0200Subject: Re: [thewire] ADMIN: end of the list?

                  Hello, I think that a mail list in 2008 is something sort of out of time.Why not end the list sharing the music forums, bbs, blogs somehow related toThe Wire that we could use as an alternative.2008/6/25 Andrew Cox <thewire@...>:> Please don't kill the list (yet). All the music lists that I am on> seem to be going through a hiatus at the mo'. And I really don't know> why. There's loads of fantastic music out there. The problem has to be> amongst the contributors - the list needs a kick start...>> OK - here's an obvious subject for discussion - why aren't people> posting to the list?>> I'm currently listing to the Cilibrinas Do Eden album - finally released> after many years. It's a side project by Rita Lee of Os Mutantes,> recorded in 1973. And it is brilliant (and I'm not an Os Mutantes> fan). Recently I've been hunting down a lot of obscure stuff on You> Tube - it's amazing what one can find. For example:>> Slint - Good Morning, Captain>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJYQvOwokjU>> Etron Fou LeLoublan - Eva>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGjSL8Rpjbs>> The God Machine - Home>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsmq0UJa0ZI>> Enormously underrated band.>> Fujiya & Miyagi - Collarbone>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBndXAaPrw>> etc., etc.>> Oh, and for cricket fans out there - Aggers and Johnners:>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k0qZDdfvZk>>> ------------------------------------>> _______________________________________________> the wire mailing list> post: thewire@yahoogroups.com> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thewire/Yahoo! Groups Links>>>>-- Un saludo,Pepe[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                • Jon Attwood
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
                    of course it'll be sad to see it go, but it's mostly (ab)used by people like
                    me for advertising their wares these days, interesting as that may be for
                    some, i can understand the decision - and second the thanks for your work

                    jon/yellow6

                    - y e l l o w 6 -
                    <http://www.yellow6.com/> www.yellow6.com

                    - make mine music -
                    www.makeminemusic.co.uk <http://www.makeminemusic.co.uk/>

                    - MySpace -
                    www.myspace.com/jonyellow6

                  • jamello@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
                      i haven'tpaid attention to this lis in years, sorry.? is there a "the wire" board (maybe something like dissensus) where we can have discussion?? that seems easier email.

                      jack

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 26, 2008
                        There's the USENET group rec.music.experimental, which is even more
                        dead that this list. See also alt.noise. I wonder where everybody has
                        gone, or whether they've just stopped talking...

                        Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 3:17:24 PM, José wrote:

                        > Hello, I think that a mail list in 2008 is something sort of out of time.
                        > Why not end the list sharing the music forums, bbs, blogs somehow related to
                        > The Wire that we could use as an alternative.
                      • Keith Berry
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 29, 2008
                          This list is worth keeping for the "Wreck This Mess" posts from I
                          think Laurent Diouf. Always interesting & insightful, thank you for
                          your words.

                          Keith Berry
                        • Andrew Cox
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 29, 2008
                            Um... is this THE Keith Berry? If so, thank you for such wonderful
                            music. "The Ear That Was Sold To A Fish" is particularly superb.

                            Sunday, June 29, 2008, 11:30:29 AM, Keith wrote:

                            > This list is worth keeping for the "Wreck This Mess" posts from I
                            > think Laurent Diouf. Always interesting & insightful, thank you for
                            > your words.

                            > Keith Berry
                          • Keith Berry
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 29, 2008
                              Thanks Andrew, Baz Nichols remixed some material of mine recently,
                              which I can recommend, goto
                              http://www.twoinchesofftheground.com/fourm.html

                              > Um... is this THE Keith Berry? If so, thank you for such wonderful
                              > music. "The Ear That Was Sold To A Fish" is particularly superb.
                              >

                              > Sunday, June 29, 2008, 11:30:29 AM, Keith wrote:
                              >
                              > > This list is worth keeping for the "Wreck This Mess" posts from I
                              > > think Laurent Diouf. Always interesting & insightful, thank you for
                              > > your words.
                              >
                              > > Keith Berry

                            • gradyfinklemyer
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008